Transfer Rumour Santiago Sosa

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was never passing a work permit on normal terms. It was always going to appeal.

But at least we havent signed him yet, this time we are applying BEFORE we buy.

So yeah, its good we have clever people in charge now.

Exactly. It's the same route Watford successfully went down for Richarlison. It's a very regular occurrence in football.

Plenty of other clubs go to WP appeals but since the finer details of other clubs transfers, or failed transfers, aren't of massive interest there's just a load of cry-arses screaming and yelling about Everton not getting deals over the line.

The truth is every club has failed transfers and convoluted deals...we just tend not to read about them.

Last edited:
We have great experience of work permits. Banega, Obinna, Onyekuru. I'm glad the club have gone down this route again.

Because they've never secured a work permit for a player, ever....oh wait Banega actually did get one.

And the plan to loan out Onyekuru till he qualifies may have hit a bump with his head being turned by CL football but I reckon there's a tidy sum to be made which while not ideal certainly isn't a disaster.

Buy him, loan him out to a Spanish team maybe during the 1st year he'll get some national caps enough to get a work permit on appeal, if not after the 2nd year in Spain he'll be able to get a Spanish passport.
Crash out Brexit could scupper that.

Crash out Brexit could scupper that.
Leaving the EU would stop that happening as you say, but what is likely is that UK work permit rules would be tinkered with to ensure that the PL retains its global standing. After all, it's not as if there are hundreds of thousands of EU footballers entering the country now. The top Europeans would still play here, even if not automatically.

Leaving the EU would stop that happening as you say, but what is likely is that UK work permit rules would be tinkered with to ensure that the PL retains its global standing. After all, it's not as if there are hundreds of thousands of EU footballers entering the country now. The top Europeans would still play here, even if not automatically.
True, but that would effectively stop South American youngsters having a season in eg Spain to get in through the back door.Still there is still Neymar.

True, but that would effectively stop South American youngsters having a season in eg Spain to get in through the back door.Still there is still Neymar.
Not necessarily. Once not a part of the EU the UK would have the power to shape its own immigration and work permit rules.

Not necessarily. Once not a part of the EU the UK would have the power to shape its own immigration and work permit rules.
The UK already has that power for immigrants from anywhere other than the EU, and for footballers they are some of the most restrictive in Europe. I'm not sure why you think that will change after Brexit. If anything, I think it is likely that it will be more difficult for players from any non-UK nation to get a work permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.