Sandy Brown: an appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always admired Sandy. As others have mentioned, he could be (and was) called upon to cover ANY position on the pitch. Not necessarily the most gifted player, but always gave 100 per cent for the cause.
Such a shame that he's mainly remembered these days for that own goal (cracking header mind)
That's why we remember him
Top bloke, always took my autograph book in every season to get it topped up with emerging stars and new signings.

Alan Harper like ?
No he was hard - he could dish it out - he had a thunderous shot - a good all rounder - played most positions even in goal - no subs then - not as productive as Harper imo but his heart was all blue - Shanks once stated he would have liked to have signed him.......
In the battle of Goodison v Leeds Giles studded him down his chest in the first few minutes - Sandy just punched his lights out getting sent off.......
No one messed with Alexander Sandy Brown ......

Tough hombre Sandy, not a bad player either. He was once said to have the 3rd hardest shot in the league, in a ‘hotshot’ competition organized by some newspaper or another. Peter Lorrimer of Leeds had the hardest and I’m not sure who was second. The crowd were calling him Sandy Hotshot for a while.
Remember that well ......

No he was hard - he could dish it out - he had a thunderous shot - a good all rounder - played most positions even in goal - no subs then - not as productive as Harper imo but his heart was all blue - Shanks once stated he would have liked to have signed him.......
In the battle of Goodison v Leeds Giles studded him down his chest in the first few minutes - Sandy just punched his lights out getting sent off.......
No one messed with Alexander Sandy Brown ......
Barrie Rees made his 4th (and last) appearance for Everton in that game (as number 2 despite being a forward) and was sold to Brighton shortly afterwards. He made just 12 appearances for Brighton before he was tragically killed in a road accident just 4 months after the battle of Goodison Park. He was just 21 yrs old.

Barrie Rees made his 4th (and last) appearance for Everton in that game (as number 2 despite being a forward) and was sold to Brighton shortly afterwards. He made just 12 appearances for Brighton before he was tragically killed in a road accident just 4 months after the battle of Goodison Park. He was just 21 yrs old.
My older brother was at that game evidently the tackle by Bell the Leeds goal score that day on Temple was horrific almost put him in the Goodison road terrace - that's when it kicked off bad style ....
I have heard the name you mention of Barry Rees so sad to hear that news....

Went to Bellefield to watch a mates brother play for the A team.Few first teamers were around watching
.Sandy Brown had his little boy with him playing with a Frido,when he kicked it past Sandy,Sandy whipped him up....couldn't help himself.
Yes that was Sandy, I remember an FA cup game at Hull City, a very physical game, there was an hold up in the game and Sandy was walking back to his own half, a Hull City player was squatting down with his hands on the turf, as Sandy walked past him he stood on the players hand, on purpose, then put his arms round him to say sorry, I can still hear the players screams !!!

Second leg of the ECWC tie against Real Zaragosa at GP.
We were chasing a two goal deficit and Sandy nearly burst the net to get us back in the game. Their star forward was Marcelino and he was time wasting in the corner when the whole crowd saw Sandy send the bloke into the Park End without a kiss my arse or anything.

I met a worse for wear Tommy Docherty in a bar in Heaton Moor a number of years ago, and he was very complimentary about the 'old' Everton. He talked in admiration of Mick Meagan,another great and versatile Everton servant, and also mentioned Sandy Brown, saying he was 'a managers dream'.

Some of the 1969/70 League winning team with Sandy holding the trophy.

Reactions: kev
Status
Not open for further replies.