Transfer Rumour Sami Khedira

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 of the 4 major summer signings were made a month before the window closed.
I say we won't sign him at all.
Let's see
I also say we probably wont sign him.

But your point is that if we wanted him it would already be done.

Which means you don't think we will sign anybody this window? Cos if we wanted them, they would already be done, right?

I think we're just looking at slightly different things here though.

1 and 2) This is kind of what i'm saying. Phil Neville was good for us, Thiago Silva has been good for Chelsea. But what they haven't done is brought with them this mythical ability to win. They have done well as players in their own right, they may well be good to have around the dressing room etc, but signing these players with a wealth of experience and trophies behind them has had absolutely no impact on the side's ability to win. Phil Neville was here for 8 years and we never won a trophy or an away game at one of the top clubs in all that time. Thiago Silva has gone to Chelsea and they've got no better at 'getting over the line', they haven't beaten any of their top 4 rivals and are defending no better as a side than they did last year.

3) That leads me on to the next point. Neville, Silva, Khedira, Rooney, Eto'o etc will all command great respect from their teammates, undoubtedly. But that alone means absolutely nothing. Unless they have the quality to perform at a level that elevates the team then all the respect in the world won't make a blind bit of difference. Bruno Fernandes's trophy cabinet has a solitary medal in it from the Portuguese cup, but if you put him in our midfield he would make us a hell of a lot better. We don't have a particularly young team, we aren't without star names who command respect, so we don't need experience for the sake of experience. What we need is more quality, and players who bring a better balance to the side than we have at the moment. If Khedira can come in and dominate games in the middle of the park and match the likes of Fernandes so we don't get humiliatingly outplayed again by United next time we play them then great. If he comes in and we have to listen to all the other players saying how amazing it is to have someone like him to train with and you can't help but be amazed by everything he's done in the game and it's such a buzz and evidence of how far the club's come, but we keep losing at home to Leeds and West Ham and limp our way to 8th with the slowest team in the league, then not great.

All very fair points.

I think Neville did help our ability to win. I also think, some players do help. Richard Gough was one. Reid and Andy Grey did so in the 80's.

I think Delph wants first team football and even when he’s got he knows he’s not getting it here. Any sort of decent fee covers his book value and gets his wages off the books giving us more room to manoeuvre around the regulations. There were rumours of Burnely being interested and with their new investment maybe they’ll make an offer too good to turn down.

Ive no doubt Khedira would be class on the ball but I can’t see a competitive midfield three that includes him and James. If we went into a derby with that midfield we’d be run off the pitch. In my opinion every player in the team has to be quick with the exception of James at number 10 as his quality is too big to ignore. We can carry one slow player but if we add more than that then the gaps start to open up and we can’t retrieve the ball off the opposition as we saw in the first 20 minutes of the cup game against United when we could barely get a sniff.
James would not be in midfield
It would be Doucoure Allan and Khedira in MF
James DCL and Ricarlison up front

I also say we probably wont sign him.

But your point is that if we wanted him it would already be done.

Which means you don't think we will sign anybody this window? Cos if we wanted them, they would already be done, right?
No. Its not.
Khedira is available. Is not part of the plans at his club and they have no issue letting him go.
Every player is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.