2021/22 Salomón Rondón

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troy Deeney was available for one.
In all seriousness I have no doubt he would have offered more than this lump.
At least he hasn’t spent two seasons overdosing on chicken fried rice.
That’s a fair enough call. I guess it. Are down to who Benitez knew.

As I said, I don’t expect great things, but I certainly expect him to improve as he gets fitter. I’m pretty sure the plan wasn’t for him to be playing yet, but Dom‘s injury changed all that.

The other question is who else could we have got on a free that was willing to be DCL’s backup snd had PL experience.

It was always going to be a player like him. Diego Costa anyone?

He will get better as his fitness improves and will look somewhat like a PL player. I don’t expect him tearing trees up though. He is backup in line with our summer transfer budget.
Well, we had King at the club last season and released him. Please don't tel me you think Rondon is a better option. As it turns out, we would have been better signing nobody I'm sure Simms or Dobbin would have been at least as effective.

Rondon is on good money here and honestly, at the moment, its money for old rope.

Kev, a couple of weeks ago you told me that signing Rondon was a great bit of business, do you still believe that?
yes. It's obvious that Benitez is excellent at judging players, and he loves rondon. The same thing happened when he first joined Newcastle. Benitez took ages getting him up to speed, but once he's firing he takes some stopping. Some players take a whole season to fit in, I think we need to give this chap more than two league games, when he's not played a game in 4 months

No he wasn't, go back and look at the thread, I questioned the wisdom of signing a 32 year old who hadn't played top level for 2 years on a 2 year contract with big money, Kev said 'its a great bit of business.
Fair enough, but I still think he will be ok, passable when fit.

I felt a bit sorry for him yesterday, I think he had one of those games where just everything he did went wrong. He had a bit of a mare basically and I think he's better than he showed.

He deserves the benefit of the doubt for aforementioned fitness reasons. He was clearly not intended to feature heavily so soon after joining but then DCL got injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.