2021/22 Salomón Rondón

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the goal to have him in for the US tour.

Maybe that would have helped his fitness but Dalian wanted money because he wasn't on a free. This nonsense that people keep pedalling that 'well who else was on a free' needs to stop. Rondon wasn't out of contract, he basically had to negotiate his way out at Dalian.

My worry with him wasn't just the fitness. It was that he was 31 (now 32), had been in China and Russia for 2 years in a pandemic and just wasn't going to be very good.
And to give him a 2 year contract is just absolutely mental

He's garbage.

But there's no point fuming at him.

Fume at the inept setup which has allowed Rondon to happen.

Evertons board through their atrocious recruitment over a prolonged spell.

Their managerial pick who, having worked closely with him for years - felt he was up to competing in the Prem.
Suppose you could say the same with most managers.
Martinez.....Kone & Alcaraz
Joe Royle...Earl Barrett
Koeman....Cuco Martina

Bringing in Rondon says more about Benitez's judgement than the quality of the player.

You’ll see from my post on page 1 of this thread that I had a bit of a soft spot for Rondon, I was optimistic about him joining us, thought he could offer us something useful, and hoped he’d be an astute signing. So I was prepared to give him a chance, unlike others on here.

But by god, he has been absolutely awful for us hasn’t he. I have no idea how good Dobbin is, but if I was him I’d be absolutely raging at being consistently sidelined by this complete waste of a shirt number.

Burnley have to survive, they not got a bottomless pit of money, they adapted well to Premiership, you only have to look out how many promoted teams survive over the last few years, Norwich, Baggies,Fulham, Bournemouth, it's a big gap between Championship and Prem and unless you got Sugar Dadies like Wolves and Villa it's hard to stay up.

Are you serious? lol

I am absolutely serious.

We did try and spend money at the end of the window, remember? A RB and winger (Diaz) were the targets.

Rondon was also the target for the striker position and had been since July. If we'd had a bit of money free'd up in July, we'd have signed him then, because we tried to but wouldn't match what Dalian wanted.

If we had unlimited resources to spend across the team, of course Rondon wouldn't have been the target. But the priority was elsewhere on the pitch with what resources we did have, even when we had a bit of potential to spend late in August.

So it's not true to say he was the only option. He was the only option because Benitez wanted him, and Benitez was given full control over who we went for this summer, including turning down RB targets that he didn't think were good enough (which is fine, but let's call a spade a spade, please).

I am absolutely serious.

We did try and spend money at the end of the window, remember? A RB and winger (Diaz) were the targets.

Rondon was also the target for the striker position and had been since July. If we'd had a bit of money free'd up in July, we'd have signed him then, because we tried to but wouldn't match what Dalian wanted.

If we had unlimited resources to spend across the team, of course Rondon wouldn't have been the target. But the priority was elsewhere on the pitch with what resources we did have, even when we had a bit of potential to spend late in August.

So it's not true to say he was the only option. He was the only option because Benitez wanted him, and Benitez was given full control over who we went for this summer, including turning down RB targets that he didn't think were good enough (which is fine, but let's call a spade a spade, please).

I was under the impression the only way we had money to spend was if we sold Richarlison, ffp an all that. Back to Rondon, had every chance to get fit now, even Benitez must realise the man is finished, watching him stumbling around like a drunk yesterday was plain embarrassing for himself and everyone else, he's finished and he knows it, if he has any dignity he would just retire immediately.

I am absolutely serious.

Fair enough but surely if he had more money he would have considered some other options, although I guess as it's a back up striker hmmmm.

Benitez is probably suprised how bad he's been so far. I can't imagine he was half this bad when he was at Newcastle.

Status
Not open for further replies.