Ross Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me! I may well be GOTs resident Ross Jack expert , not that I know that much though!
First the history. Back in 1977 I think , I went to GP to watch us play Crystal Palce in the Youth Cup Final. Kenny Samson and Vince Hilaire played for Palace, Kevin Ratcliffe I think for us, but the kid who caught my eye was our number 9 who came out of the tunnel with a huge beaming smile on his face, Ross Jack. And I’ve remembered the name ever since.

I lost track of him for a while , easily done in pre internet days, and when I moved to Scotland I noticed quite a few “ Ross Jacks” associated with football. Then another move took me closer to him when he was manager of Elgin City, though I didn’t realise it . After he was sacked from Elgin he moved into management of Highland League club Turrif United or Turra as it’s known. . Last time I saw him he was early last season in the Turra dugout at a Highland League Match. Then he was sacked from Turra in 2018 and as far as I know hasn’t picked up another club. He’s one of these guys who’s a well respected coach at Highland League level, knows the players etc so he may make a comeback. I was talking to a friend who used to be a coach with Aberdeen about him last year, and he knows him well , and offered to introduce me if we were ever at the same match. I’m too old now to bother about chasing autographs or introductions but I still have it in mind if I ever come across him I’ll introduce myself with a “ I once saw you run out at Goodison Park ..... oh and by the way, you’ve got your own thread on GOT”.
Thanks for starting this thread, brought a smile to my face :)
You've just jogged my memory with that story.
I also recall reading in the local rags about the Highland League and his name popping up.

5a547978382b4-e1515486156954-671x564.jpg
oo

You've just jogged my memory with that story.
I also recall reading in the local rags about the Highland League and his name popping up.
Yeah, they don’t often mention the Everton connection, usually Norwich gets a mention, plus there were a few Ross Jacks in Scottish football over the years. Glad I found him again, funny old world how I retained a memory from over 40 years ago and came across him again.

Middlesbrough away I think,night match,i remember listening as a kid to the midweek match on radio ziddy 194 for updates and in my naivity thought we had the next big thing,still he lived the dream of most of us I suppose!!!

Saw him play in a reserve match at goodison,don’t remember the details ,but I think Martin Murray was playing too.Very niche cult figure!

Status
Not open for further replies.