Ross Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross Jack played one game for Everton and scored the goal in a 1-1 draw I think, he was a centre forward.
Ray Minshull, the Everton youth development officer at the time, said he looked out of his office at Bellefield onto the training ground and Ross Jack stood out in every session, just couldn’t reproduce that form when it counted, on match day. I think we’ve got a few like that now,because Silva says he chooses his team by how they perform on the training ground, well we could all name one or two who haven’t performed when it matters so they must be outstanding when training.

Couldn't turn. No matter how loud the crowd shouted, he just couldn't turn.

He eventually left football and this flaw turned out to be fatal in his next career as a racing driver where following a 100% winning streak in the popular 1970's world drag racing series, he moved on to Formula 1 making pole position on his first race. He powered out to a frankly unbelievable lead from the green light, but tragedy struck at the first corner when he careered full pelt into wall. Team boss, Ennio Morricone lamented in a sad cry that," he was so good at going straight, but bad at turning and it was always going to turn out ugly, wah-uh-ah wuh wah wahhh."

What became of him?Anyone got a update
Me! I may well be GOTs resident Ross Jack expert , not that I know that much though!
First the history. Back in 1977 I think , I went to GP to watch us play Crystal Palce in the Youth Cup Final. Kenny Samson and Vince Hilaire played for Palace, Kevin Ratcliffe I think for us, but the kid who caught my eye was our number 9 who came out of the tunnel with a huge beaming smile on his face, Ross Jack. And I’ve remembered the name ever since.

I lost track of him for a while , easily done in pre internet days, and when I moved to Scotland I noticed quite a few “ Ross Jacks” associated with football. Then another move took me closer to him when he was manager of Elgin City, though I didn’t realise it unti i rediscovered him . After he was sacked from Elgin he moved into management of Highland League club Turrif United or Turra as it’s known. . Last time I saw him he was early last season in the Turra dugout at a Highland League Match. Then he was sacked from Turra in 2018 and as far as I know hasn’t picked up another club. He’s one of these guys who’s a well respected coach at Highland League level, knows the players etc so he may make a comeback. I was talking to a friend who used to be a coach with Aberdeen about him last year, and he knows him well , and offered to introduce me if we were ever at the same match. I’m too old now to bother about chasing autographs or introductions but I still have it in mind if I ever come across him I’ll introduce myself with a “ I once saw you run out at Goodison Park ..... oh and by the way, you’ve got your own thread on GOT”.
Thanks for starting this thread, brought a smile to my face :)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.