Ross Barkley - opinion poll

Would you have Ross Barkley back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A humbled Ross Barkley coming back home to Everton and digging in to revive his career and make it up to a fan base he screwed over would be a nice end to the Ross Barkley story

He's probably capable of doing it as well so long as his head his right

I wouldn't completely rule the idea out at any rate

A humbled Ross Barkley coming back home to Everton and digging in to revive his career and make it up to a fan base he screwed over would be a nice end to the Ross Barkley story

That scenario is some bill kenwright levels of fantastical romanticism. Has ross even displayed any remorse for the manner of his departure?

This poll suggests his favourability ratings would be worse than Benitez's.

It's a non-starter. Let's not do anything to drive a wedge through the fanbase again.

Have the last five years just been erased from people's minds?

Barkley was massively overrated - which is what Evertonians seem genetically predisposed to do with any "talent" that comes through the ranks (see John Ebbrell, "Grantona", Michael Branch, Danny Cadamarteri, and Anthony Gordon). The only Everton product that ever justified the hype was the incomparable Wayne Rooney, so our hype hit rate is quite poor.

I said it long before Barkley left the club that he was massively hyped and that would not stand scrutiny over his career. He simply didn't have the football intelligence required. Sure enough, he stank out his last year or so with us and his subsequent "peak" years at Chelsea and Aston Villa have been disastrous when compared to the "expectation" so many naive people - or just plain bad judges of football, to give them their correct title - put on his shoulders.

In summary, Ross is now a very rich man. He has been successful by any objective measurement. But, by the same token, he has wasted his best years as a productive on-pitch active footballer, contributing almost nothing to his employers while watching what might have been a long England career go up in smoke. Another one in the long line whose ambition far exceeded his actual effectiveness.
"Everton product that ever justified the hype was the incomparable Wayne Rooney" - who went on to be one the best British players of all time.

Rooney is a high bar. But Ebrell, Osman, Hibbert, Tom Davies, Rodwell, Anichebe, Vaughan - all contributed to our first team to varying degrees. Vaughan would have been class if it wasnt for injuries.

Then Shane Duffy, Ludstrum, Rodwell, and many others have all had decent professional careers.

Barkley was hyped because he does have everything physically. Think the assumption was he would develop mentally as he matured.

That was the bit that never came

13 goals and 5 assists this season and loves the club/fans - I don’t seriously believe he will be coming back however do think there are substantially worse options that people float.
I just don't understand this forums obsession with bringing back former players. Every summer it's the same. Do other clubs obsess over their, let's be frank, just OK former players?

Wouldn't have him back. If it was based on ability "on his day" then of course he'd be an excellent player to bring in but we need to start moving in the right direction as a club with the players we bring in.

Re-signing Barkley is the complete opposite of us moving in the right direction. He left the club under a cloud and hasn't got the right mental attitude as a player resulting in being woefully inconsistent and disappointing.

I can’t see that being the case. Besides we have Dele Alli - can fit both of them into a team and both in need of a revival.

Barkley can find his elsewhere as far as I’m concerned.

Should he come back.... No

Is he better than what we have..... Yes

That's the dilemma. If he took a dramatic reduced wage then at least it would show he's serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.