Ross Barkley and England

Is it best for Everton if Ross Barkley is selected for England

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnfred 55

Player Valuation: £80m
Yes I know we have a Barkley thread already and we also have a recent thread re the relevance of International football. But in Ross's case, playing for England is obviously so important to him and there's no doubt in my mind that being dropped by England at the beginning of the season was a big factor in the players mind set at the time.

Ross, playing and performing well for England, enhances his confidence and the experience of playing at the top level in International matches should also turn him into a better player. Ross, himself, will also be happier being in and around the England squad. Having a happy, confident, more experienced and hopefully a tactically and technically more improved footballer on our hands can only benefit Everton.

In addition, Ross has sat there this week watching far inferior footballers get game time for England ahead of him. What's going through his head?. Is he thinking that being at Everton, an unfashionable club in the media's eyes, is holding him back when it comes to England. That could be crucial in his decision to sign a new contract.

On the flip side, we've all seen first hand the negative effects of Ross representing his country. Being exposed to dinosaur coaching. The adverse media attention that comes his way which at times is bordering on the ridiculous. Players from other cubs getting in his ear about contracts and winning trophies. And as we've just seen with Seamus, the additional risk of serious injury.

Now I don't give a flying one about England and haven't for a couple of years. I only care about Everton. So as fans, from an Everton aspect only, is it important that Ross play for England.

I'll start it off with a yes. But only just and mainly because I think we're close to losing him and it could tip the balance in our favour.

I voted in then other poll that I'd happily do away with internationals altogether BUT they're here and they mean a lot to the best players in the business so I want Ross to get picked every competitive match for England yeah.

...I admit to being increasingly disinterested in international football although I have said in the past that Englands participation in the Euros and World Cups make them a more interesting watch. I have no real view on Barkley (or any other EFC player) other than international selection reflects he's playing well for us.

Saying all that, if Barkley plays I hope he plays well.

There is far too much international football, it needs to be cut back. We are now at the stage were if you are a young footballer who has played 3/4 times in the Premiership then you are called into the international squad.
Playing for your country should be a honour and an honour that is earned, when international teams play as often as they do now and against teams made up from 3 men and a dog the value is diminished.

Ross wants to play for England, he has stated in the past that he wants to play and how disappointed he was to be dropped. Ross probably though that he had an ally in Southgate having played under him for the u23s but it seems like it's same old England not trusting the natural talent and picking plodders ahead of them. I hope that Ross is mentally strong enough to not let it affect him and his form as it has done in the past. I think that all the time Koeman has put into Ross (and by all accounts Koeman has spent more time working with Ross than anyone in the squad) has not only improved him as a player but also made him mentally stronger. I do still worry that seeing Livermore playing ahead of him while Barkley is in great form could knock him back. I might be worried over nothing and Barkley starts today in the competitive game that matters rather than the podolski clapathon of Wednesday night but it would be a massive under-utilisation of one of England's best attacking assets if Ross is left to watch from the bench.

Ross wants to play for England, he has stated in the past that he wants to play and how disappointed he was to be dropped. Ross probably though that he had an ally in Southgate having played under him for the u23s but it seems like it's same old England not trusting the natural talent and picking plodders ahead of them. I hope that Ross is mentally strong enough to not let it affect him and his form as it has done in the past. I think that all the time Koeman has put into Ross (and by all accounts Koeman has spent more time working with Ross than anyone in the squad) has not only improved him as a player but also made him mentally stronger. I do still worry that seeing Livermore playing ahead of him while Barkley is in great form could knock him back. I might be worried over nothing and Barkley starts today in the competitive game that matters rather than the podolski clapathon of Wednesday night but it would be a massive under-utilisation of one of England's best attacking assets if Ross is left to watch from the bench.
Actually mate I think Ross's problem is that he wasn't really one of Southgate's boys. From memory he only had a few U21 sub appearances before being fast tracked to the full squad, so didn't really play under Southgate. A large number of the players in this current squad did though, and it seems that Southgate is playing safe with the players he knows.

I may be wrong and he starts with him today but if he does, he kept it well under wraps.

Sorry but i dont want Ross or any of our players near any international squads!! Selfish i know but i only care about Everton..
My concern is that representing his country is very important to Barkley, as it is with most top players. If he isn't getting International recognition whilst with Everton, and other far inferior players are, will that encourage him to jump ship?

Actually mate I think Ross's problem is that he wasn't really one of Southgate's boys. From memory he only had a few U21 sub appearances before being fast tracked to the full squad, so didn't really play under Southgate. A large number of the players in this current squad did though, and it seems that Southgate is playing safe with the players he knows.

I may be wrong and he starts with him today but if he does, he kept it well under wraps.
Maybe your right mate. If Barkley becomes a peripheral figure for England like le tissier then England should just give up now and accept that they are not going to challenge for world cups and European championships. I don't like the bloke but Harry Redknapp had it right on talksport last week that England should be building their team around Ross and Alli.

Sorry but i dont want Ross or any of our players near any international squads!! Selfish i know but i only care about Everton..
As a fan I agree with you would rather Ross wasn't involved but as a question of what is best for Ross, he needs to be involved and I think needs to feel he is a big part of the set-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.