Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's loads of evidence for it mate, literally loads.

I've just pointed out that the fact Villa, Hull and Wigan were in the glamorous showpiece final being watched around the world in the last few years didn't seem to attract a load of top players to come to them. I also pointed out that we managed to sign Lukaku when we had just finished 5th, and he now seems to be suggesting he wants to leave because we haven't taken the next step. That's 2. Look at the players City signed when they first got an influx of cash, including our very own Joleon Lescott who had just played his final game for us in the FA Cup final. Those players weren't going for the cash, they knew the good times were on the way to city and wanted to be in on it. Then you've got Alderweireld choosing Spurs over Southampton last summer, and the difference in the quality of players moving to Villa when they were top 6 with O'Neill in charge, and those willing to go there now. It stands to reason that players feel going to a team who's finishing just outside the champions league places is better equipped to fulfil their ambitions than one finishing in the bottom half.
So you're using Hull and Wigan not attracting top class players as an example. Villa are in meltdown. We're not. Other than that. One player went to Spurs. They have a good profile abroad despite rarely playing in champion's league, partly because of the style they are known for.
City were so rich it's ridiculous and paid wages we never can, but still had to show they could maintain a champion's league place to attract absolute quality. Even now though I'd argue they may not be a lot more of an attraction than team who've been there for decades. And people have been talking about Rom leaving since he arrived. If he goes it will be to a much higher profile team and doubtless this would have happened if we got fourth.

Started Alcaraz in the away derby and the away game in Kiev - to disastrous results
Brought Eto'o in only to have to ship him out a few months later as he was threathening to split the dressing room
Made an absolute mess of the Distin situation
Purseued McGeady for about 3 years and with two seperate clubs, lauded him as a brilliant player then abandoned him unbelievably quickly
Constantly encouraged Stones to express himself - to an extent the bloke has been mismanaged badly and potentially harmed his development as an atctual defender, weak managment when he needed to be stronger and make sure he had his priorites as a player straight, amusingly then dropped the player for doing exactly what he has been encouraged to do by him

He has made a fair few mistakes mate, most managers have tbf, but trying to paint out that Martinez hasn't would be wrong
So your season review is to pick out every moment you didn't like. And some of you are wondering why a bit of balance is being suggested.

So you're using Hull and Wigan not attracting top class players as an example. Villa are in meltdown. We're not. Other than that. One player went to Spurs. They have a good profile abroad despite rarely playing in champion's league, partly because of the style they are known for.
City were so rich it's ridiculous and paid wages we never can, but still had to show they could maintain a champion's league place to attract absolute quality. Even now though I'd argue they may not be a lot more of an attraction than team who've been there for decades. And people have been talking about Rom leaving since he arrived. If he goes it will be to a much higher profile team and doubtless this would have happened if we got fourth.

Jesus Christ is it so hard to understand that the higher up the table you are the better quality of players you can attract?? Why do you think If us and Sunderland go in for a player they choose us every time? Why can the bottom clubs never bring in the top players?

Seriously some of our fans are either deluded or extremely naive.

So your season review is to pick out every moment you didn't like. And some of you are wondering why a bit of balance is being suggested.

Errm not really no, i was directly responding to your post stating he had only made one bad error of judgement by showing a lot more than one

IF i ws doing a hatchet job on him mate i could have easily listed a lot more, they are just clear cut bad bad errors he has made though

If it makes you feel better i can do a list of things he did well as well, nearly all will be from the first season ofc but that should be obvious

yes mate you are right, i should go over the top praising our performance in the first leg of a semi final that we ultimately got well beaten in, need to go back and start to prasie our first leg perfomrance against Kiev tbf, rather than dwelling on that second leg of the game as well, we won the first leg of a cup trophy i guess!

Would have made a guess that Madrid was the most expensive squad at the time actually but thats largely unimportant, said it repeatedly - won a cup got them relegated - think the two offset each other at best, and as McCleish has won the same trophy it is hardly the sign that he is an amazing manager is it?

Nice hyperbole with the Swansea tale mate, truly it is, he put the building blocks in place and set them on a good path but ultimately failed to get them 'over the line' as you are well aware, that came via those that followed and improved upon what he had implemented

Yes he certainly led them in a new direction mate - a one year blip of a one place rise followed by a plummet for two seasons into the bottom half of the table that the club hadnt been in for a decade, truly phenomenal, btw 5th is the same as 17th mate - so no he didn't lead us to the best ever PL performance - that would be Moyes the season he led the team to a 4th place finish - incidentilly doing it whilst having his most influential player sold at the 22 game mark of the season - when he was on track at the time to record a 75/76 points total in the league - and given moyes traditional strong league finishes then that isn't a myth - it's a FACT David.

Don't hate Martinez mate - check my posting history on the bloke, both before he arrived, after he arrived and even now i want him gone, he has a lot of good traits and some beautiful ideas about the game, but sadly he isn't living in the real world and he lacks the ability to manage a club at our level and certainly does at the level we as fans and the new board should be aspiring to.

Nice bloke, probably great to have a beer with and talk about football and the history of everton and the game in general - but not good enough to mmanage the club that matters a lot to me

try using some balance yourself dave rather than trying to be condescending as it comes off false
McLeish didn't win the FA Cup...not that there's any distinction for you - both cups are apparently rubbish and not worth winning now we're obviously looking to win the Champions League.

Moyes: oh yeah, of course, he was on track to finish with 75 points...because we all know that Moyes could keep his nerve when big gams turned up dont we? He was here 11 seasons, never troubled 70 points...even in his 'pomp' (such as it was). He had ample time and the best he could muster was 65 points...'with the best squad since the 80s'.

Martinez: you never hated him at any time. Ok, I accept that. But when did you change your tune? Went from Bobby's Brown Shoes to public enemy number 1 at some point didn't he? There's nothing like consistency, and this is nothing like consistency.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ is it so hard to understand that the higher up the table you are the better quality of players you can attract?? Why do you think If us and Sunderland go in for a player they choose us every time? Why can the bottom clubs never bring in the top players?

So you think a judgment on the season that includes the positives and negatives is 'deluded'. Think maybe you should calm down a bit and then read what is actually being said.

How was it a three goal lead? If you're referring to away goals then surely again to balance it without the goal that shouldn't have stood we'd have gone through

yes because if they wouldnt have scored that goal then the rest of the game would have proceeded in the exact same manner as it did and we would have won... watching the game we where struggling to hold on until the sub then after that it became a matter of time before they broke us down

may as well point out the fact they should have had a pretty much nailed on pen in the first leg as point out that goal mate?

I wouldnt use that word if I were you

Status
Not open for further replies.