RIP WR(Dixie)Dean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Never got to see him as I'm too young, but it's great that such a fabulous player is associated with us with an astonishing record, RIP.

Not only our greatest ever but English football’s greatest ever goal scorer. RIP Mr Dean.
The greatest definitely but not the highest, I think Arthur Rowley, who played for Leicester City I the 1940’s and 50’s. holds the record. His brother Jack Rowley was more famous, he played for Man. United around the same time.

Dixies niece or daughter in law or something was once cut my hair. She lived in Crosby. And its always worth retelling the story of Dixie walking along Lime Street and seeing the RS goalkeeper(Elisha Scott?) on the other side of the road. Dixie nodded a 'hello' and Elisha dived into the gutter.

My father used to speak so much and so well of him.Think back in those days what they wore boots and the ball was a blown up leather casey. Today footballers by comparison are a pack of pansies.

I have been fortunate to meet the great man twice. The first occasion was when he ran the Dublin Packet in Chester, shortly before he lost that job. Some years later my second meeting when he was the doorman at Littlewoods in Canning St Birkenhead, a job arranged for him by Sir John Moores as the poor guy was almost penniless compared to todays Prima Donna's he was destitute. Needless to say the mental image of the great man putting on a brave face in those circumstances remains fixed in my mind to this day even so he'd still chat EFC.
A special presentation was made to Dixie shortly before his sad demise to celebrate his achievements in football. That award was made by Bill Shankley who hailed Dixie as "the best that was and will be and his records will last forever"
Youngsters seem to think that the game was simpler back then hence it was easier to score. If that's the case I'd like to see some of todays crowd cope with proper physicality dished out by big strapping defenders wearing studs with nails hanging out of them. Dixie is acclaimed as the greatest header of a ball the game has known, he nodded a heavy leather casey with a ridge of laces protruding that could leave an imprint on your forehead, what a man.
God rest you old lad and thanks for what you did for our club, to me you'll always be the special one at EFC. I hope when we move your statue is placed to look across the river at your home town in perpetuity.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.