Rip it up and start again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MACCA75

Player Valuation: £70m
The more I look at the squad, the more I'm thinking wholesale changes might be required. As much as we can blame Roberto for the flop this year, the players need to be held to account too. I think virtually every area of the pitch needs looking at:

Goalkeeper - Definitely require a new first choice keeper IMO

Full backs. - Baines and especially Coleman have realistically been poor for a long period of time now. Are they living off their reputations? Wouldn't mind a revamp

Central Defence. - Depends if Stones stays, but even if he does, we don't seem to have a balanced pairing.

Centre mid - I'm not the only one utterly bored of seeing Barry and McCarthy. We need a mobile forward thinking player who can thread a pass. I wouldn't even cry if Barkley left, he's ineffectual in way too many games

Wingers - have all got good reason to be unhappy this season, being left out for months at a time. None are irreplaceable.

Strikers - I really can't see Niasse making it (He must look garbage in training tbh), Rom looks like he wants to go, so we could well need another two top strikers. I'd go for Benteke tbh.

That is an awful big overhaul for the summer. We need the right man in charge of it.

The more I look at the squad, the more I'm thinking wholesale changes might be required. As much as we can blame Roberto for the flop this year, the players need to be held to account too. I think virtually every area of the pitch needs looking at:

Full backs. - Baines and especially Coleman have realistically been poor for a long period of time now. Are they living off their reputations? Wouldn't mind a revamp

Central Defence. - Depends if Stones stays, but even if he does, we don't seem to have a balanced pairing.

Centre mid - I'm not the only one utterly bored of seeing Barry and McCarthy. We need a mobile forward thinking player who can thread a pass. I wouldn't even cry if Barkley left, he's ineffectual in way too many games

Wingers - have all got good reason to be unhappy this season, being left out for months at a time. None are irreplaceable.

Strikers - I really can't see Niasse making it (He must look garbage in training tbh), Rom looks like he wants to go, so we could well need another two top strikers. I'd go for Benteke tbh.

That is an awful big overhaul for the summer. We need the right man in charge of it.
Is it though? A few months ago we were all frustrated because we thought we were so close with this squad.

Win the fa cup, stick with Martinez and bring in players. Don't win, kick Martinez out and overhaul the squad ready for next season!

I don't think every section of the first 11 needs looking at to be honest, however thats dependant on who leaves.

GK - need a top class addition

Full backs - need competition, i have seen Coleman regress so badly, but there is no-one behind him to challenge. Baines will have Oviedo and Garbutt next season (unless one of them goes).

CB - not sure depends if someone leaves.

CM - massively need some new blood in there - would prefer someone who is a proper number 8.

Wingers - just need someone who can replace Pienaar - someone who can cut in and create.

Strikers - a lot depends on who goes. Am not sure on Niasse at the moment, but i haven't seen enough to fully judge. If Lukaku goes we need a massive signing.

All in all i would say we need additions in the squad for competition to stop people being complacent, and if we are making proper signings, make them better then the ones in the team, not just rotation.

I think baines and coleman performing badly in a bad team is not really a measure of them as players. Perhaps they are declining sure, not going to say otherwise, but at the same time a good defence could bring out their old self again. Central defence i actually like Mori, think he has impressed me this year, more to come i hope from him. Stones needs a good coach behind him, otherwise we may as well sell him now. think the call for a yard dog defender is not completely wrong though, your shawcross/skyrtl type defender.

I think the midfield needs to be re vamped as the current 2 deep midfielder isnt doing anything for us. Despite other people's opinions, i like McCarthy, Besic has been hampered by injury and Barkley is showing how good he can be. A revamp in midfield and an addition or two to add competition could be what we need there.

Wingers, yeah you are spot on, i like them, lennon performing beyond anyones expectations lets be honest and Del was a player we all wanted to sign. Just replace Mirallas for a reliable and great left mid and we will be onto something there.

Striker wise we need 2 to revamp the squad. Lukaku is gone, so we need to show a hell of a lot of ambition to replace him with someone who can at least bring 20 goals a season in. Naisse i still won't hold an opinion until when/if we see him play for more than 5 minutes, he sounded decent when we bought him. Kone obviously the other that needs replacing in the squad.

that's what i think anyway.

Robles is competent, is there an available improvement? He's very young, quite able and will improve. Keep and add reserve goalie.

The defence is good when it remembers it's job is to defend. Keep if possible, add RB cover.

Midfield - Barry is good but has 18 months or so left in him. Besic may be able to replace in time, needs to improve. Kev can sod off, the impetulent boy, Lennon and Del are able, Del needs to work on fitness. Barkley is good but needs motivation. McCarthy decent. Mostly keep but add a creative mid or two.

I hope beyond hope Lukaku stays, if not let's face it we have no recognised suitable back up. Cancel Kone and Niasse's* contract and sign two forwards regardless of Romelu's intentions.

*I know I know, but it ain't looking good for him is it?

We have a back 4 most would envy, yet they are not playing well, have they suddenly become poor players or are they not being layed appropriately?
I am personally a bit surprised that Baines, Coleman, Jagielka and Stones have suddenly reached a time where they cant be bothered any more and decided to live off their own hype.

I wouldn't even cry if Barkley left, he's ineffectual in way too many games

not-sure-if-serious-_a3c87850b858e3bdd7d16ee8dcf5c0ea-jpeg.12403

Rom looks like he wants to go

nsis.jpg

I'd go for Benteke tbh.

54605297.jpg

Maybe you're right, but the best way to do this, is to get a new manager!

GK - Joel is great as a back-up. Just not good enough for where we need to be. He is also too quiet. We desperately need leaders. Imagine an Oliver Kahn or a Schmeichel organising that defence this season!

Full-backs - We definitely need competition for Coleman, to be fair to Martinez, he tried to do this with Byram.

Centre-backs - need a long-term partner for Stones, who will stay as no-one will pay £40m for him. Funes Mori is not the answer. I think a Mourinho would see the flaws in his game and sell on. He was getting linked to Barca earlier in the season and starts for Argentina. We should be able to get £15-20m for him. We need an all-out, tall, robust leader at the back, who loves a scrap. A Dave Watson-type. Jags as back-up, with Galloway etc.

CM: Big problem for us, although not many realise it. McCarthy has declined immensely over the past 12 months, whether it be the fact that his place is guaranteed, lack of competition or the role he is asked to play (press only in own half etc), his role at the club must be questioned. Barry has been good, but the lack of quality around him has made him look better than he is. His mobility is waning (it was poor in his prime). Besic, may or may not, be the player we all want him to be, but we cant rely on it. Cleverly and Gibson should be moved on. We need 2 CM's, one holding and one all-rounder/box-to-box.

LW: We need a left-winger. Sell Mirallas and bring someone in. Dunno who, but any player in world football that is not Arouna Kone or Tom Cleverly!

CF: All depends on Rom, if he stays (which will only be with a new manager I feel), then we need an alternative option to help him, someone completely different to change a game we are losing. A Javier Hernandez-type, or someone with blistering pace, etc. That Niasse looks absolute garbage, so we cant rely on him!

In short, get the till out Farshad, or more mediocracy looms

It is that bad on the face of it, but fundamentally it isn't - there's just a malaise over the squad and the players aren't really playing for RM.

It's not outright mutiny, down tools or anything like that. Just a passive attitude of giving 95 instead of 100%, hoping for a win rather than demanding it by playing bold football. Like all of us, the players are just really bored with the management.

Status
Not open for further replies.