RIP Harry Catterick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayee

Player Valuation: £40m
25 years today. Thankyou for all you did for our club, there will never be anyone like you! We will never forget

I was so quick out of the traps to remember Dean the other week, that I failed to realize that Harry was soon up, I knew it was sometime in March but was not clear on the actual day, glad I caught sight of this.

Catterick is easily on a par with Kendall (first time around) as Everton's greatest manager, that side he had between 1967-71 with players the caliber of ball, Kendall, Royle, Labone, Young, Harvey etc was a really fine side, challenging for honors more often than not, but once ball was sold to Arsenal it seemed to be the end of the glory days.

Catterick if memory serves, was at an FA cup match in 1985 (Ipswich I strongly feel) and suffered a heart attack at some point during or after the game and we lost one of the clubs biggest names that afternoon, although there had been some health concerns in the latter years of his managership.

He did say on record that he felt the 1970 squad was better than the 1963 title winning side, and who's to argue, that was a really fine side we had at the end of the 60s and going into a new decade.

It's hard to believe 25 years have passed since that fateful day, but for now let's remember what he gave to the supporters with building a really good side and some lovely memories. :(:):bye:

A man who went about his business quietly, producing two excellent and one very good sides. The names roll down the years, Vernon, Parker, Scott, Gabriel, Labone, Wilson, Wright and, of course, K B H.

The finest tribute to the man will be if the current crop can find the knack of not only winning, but winning as students of the School of Science.

Thanks, Harry, for making dreams the stuff of reality, and for turning Goodison Park into a treasure chest of true jewels in the Everton crown.

Signed Alan Ball in the car park at Blackpool!

RIP Harry.

He was our longest serving manager no? Some great stories by Kendall, Harvey and Royle on that Those were the days programme.

RIP Harry. Without all the success you bought to the club I may have still been a Spurs fan. I may have been a glory-hunting ten year-old but the glorious club entered my heart and soul - 47 years and counting - and there to stay for the rest of my life.

A true footballing man, that had equal success to Shankly without the relentless self promotion, until he retired due to ill health.

I sometimes wonder about this club....Catterick with heart problems dogging his last management years.....Kendall with "other" problems destroying that spark he had....the world wars breaking out when we were champions, well placed for more success.

God bless you Harry, you crazy diamond.

RIP Harry. For me he was responsible for a truly golden age for Everton. The names say it all: Roy Vernon, Alex Parker, Ray Wilson, Gordon West, Tommy Wright, Alex Young, Brian Labone, Colin Harvey, Jimmy Gabriel, Alan Ball. He put together these irresistable combinations of players.

Yes, Upper Sturry, it was against Ipswich and it was in the Cup. Tense match as I recall as we came back to equalise and then went on to win a replay? Maybe I've got that last bit wrong. But I recall the game as I was there. I think Mountfield scored for us...

The medics were on the roof of the exec boxes trying to save him....

Status
Not open for further replies.