2021/22 Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who was happy? Surely no one wanted Lukaku to leave.
There were idiots, let it be said.

Lukaku was the best striker we had since Graeme Sharp - and the best finisher since Gary Lineker. Some obsessed over his heavy first touch. I mean, he was a flawed player, never elegant, but feel those goals.

Except, of course, in the cup semi-final where I feel he met something of a personal glass ceiling that he has never really broken since in the decisive games he has played for Belgium, United, and Chelsea. Great for Inter, though.

However, his biggest "crime" was to not "get us". This seems to be a huge thing at a club like ours where sustained success have been on leave since the 1980s. Richarlison, a very different but also much less effective player, connects with some fans because there is a perception that he "gets us". Certainly, he has spoken in much more affectionate tones about the club than Big Rom ever did. Does it matter? It probably shouldn't in a world where Richarlison's good grace and manners will mean nothing when a truly enticing offer comes in to play on a higher stage. But at a club where success is almost a dirty word now, associated with "them across the park" and the nouveau riche club in Manchester, then these "connections" cut through for some.

Lukaku was the best striker we had since Graeme Sharp - and the best finisher since Gary Lineker. Some obsessed over his heavy first touch. I mean, he was a flawed player, never elegant, but feel those goals.

Except, of course, in the cup semi-final where I feel he met something of a personal glass ceiling that he has never really broken since in the decisive games he has played for Belgium, United, and Chelsea. Great for Inter, though.

I’d love him back at Everton, he’s a world class striker but in a weird sense I feel we are his perfect club, especially in England

I’d love him back at Everton, he’s a world class striker but in a weird sense I feel we are his perfect club, especially in England
In many ways we were, but in some ways we could never hope to keep him. I take the view that while it is understandable for players to want to play on the highest stages available to them, most players eventually end up out of their depth. Lukaku, essentially, thought he was capable of being a star player in a trophy-winning top side. Despite his obvious success as a footballer, I'm not sure he has achieved that. His time at United was a disaster - a failed move. His move back to Chelsea is a failed move. Only his time at Inter was successful - and we all know that he doesn't really consider Inter a stage worthy of his talents any more than he considered Everton a suitable level. Inter - a truly great club - happen to be playing in a time of decline for Italian football as a whole. The days of Fachetti, Mazzola, Suarez, Brady, Rummenigge, Altobelli, Matthäus, Helenio Herrera and Jose Mourinho are long gone. For Big Rom, this wasn't enough. In that light, we were never going to "do".

I don't blame him for being ambitious, but like many, his ambition always exceeded his talent. I don't think he will be much loved at any of his former clubs. Some of them were never good enough for him - and he simply wasn't good enough for those he chose instead.

That's because he isn't world class.

You won't ever go down with him in your team, but you'll have to put up with people telling you that you're watching one of the world's great players on the back of hitting double figures against Sunderland and Bournemouth.

That's because he isn't world class.

You won't ever go down with him in your team, but you'll have to put up with people telling you that you're watching one of the world's great players on the back of hitting double figures against Sunderland and Bournemouth.

You also have people who claim he only scored when we were 2-0 up anyway, which is obviously BS.

Why are we all resigned to losing him, if we stay up?

All I’m seeing over socials is “Richarlison’s last game as an Everton player at Goodison”.

If we get £60m for him. Whoever offers it, you bite their hand off.
If he a good player, yes. But he is good in a lot of ways, but not exceptional in any area.
His movement off the ball is not good enough to be a top striker and his pace and ball retention is not good enough to be a top winger. Obviously, he is probably the best player we have at the moment, but that's no big compliment.

However, his biggest "crime" was to not "get us". This seems to be a huge thing at a club like ours where sustained success have been on leave since the 1980s. Richarlison, a very different but also much less effective player, connects with some fans because there is a perception that he "gets us". Certainly, he has spoken in much more affectionate tones about the club than Big Rom ever did. Does it matter? It probably shouldn't in a world where Richarlison's good grace and manners will mean nothing when a truly enticing offer comes in to play on a higher stage. But at a club where success is almost a dirty word now, associated with "them across the park" and the nouveau riche club in Manchester, then these "connections" cut through for some.
Really well explained analysis.

The problem with Lukaku was that 2 weeks after he had signed he was doing interviews and already talking about moving on up the ladder. He got off on totally the wrong foot imo. He is a decent CF but his attitude stinks at times and that has played out at a few clubs.

My lad, who watches a hell of a lot more footy than me, both at home and abroad, says that out of all the clubs he`s played at, we are still the one, where he played his best footy at.

It`s very rarely, if ever, that you see him in " beast mode ". Those runs where he`d get the ball and run full pelt at the defence, knocking the defenders over like skittles.

As much as I didn`t like Martinez, he has to take a lot of credit for Lukaku`s time at Everton, as the team was built around him and he seems to to thrive, when he`s the " main man " in the team. Plus having peak Barkley, Mirralas and Deulofeu, as his supply line massively helped.

Spot on. Even the "Roberto had a dream" song, stated "with Ross in attack". lol

Status
Not open for further replies.