2021/22 Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.
We couldn’t even score a goal at home against a national league side until after he came on at half time

I don’t think we as a fanbase are in a position to mock any lower league opposition given our struggles against borehamwood, Hull and QPR this season especially when it comes to National sides where players tend to play with more pride and passion than they do for their local sides.
Hull City are literally a better team than Bolivia

outrageous

Famously one of the best home advantages in world footy given you're playing at 13k feet elevation. They are absolute crap and Richarlison scoring against them for one of the most talented teams in international football doesn't mean he's suddenly an elite player.

While we're talking about Richarlison I'll make clear my stance on him. As a winger his goal production is excellent. Any team in the world would take it. The problem is he's one of the worst passing wide players in any of the major European leagues. He's an absolute shambles. And so when you play him wide you've got to weigh the benefit of his production with that gaping hole in what you'd want an ideal wide player to do. It isn't that clear of an answer.

So the natural reaction to that is to move him to a position where the production in the box is the whole job and not just part of it. Which is why you see him play striker at times. The problem is he's not an elite goal scorer as a striker. From wide positions one in three is great, as a center forward it is very average.

What it boils down to for me is that he's not improved. All he really needed to do from when he arrived to now was retain possession a bit better, link up a bit and maybe get slightly better at moving the ball forward so he could put in a reasonable effort as a wide player in possession. He hasn't done and it means he's just not the player it looked like he maybe could have been when we signed. My hope is we sell before everyone else realizes this and his value drops. Sell and reinvest in a new young winger who hopefully can be the guy we hoped Richarlison would be.

Famously one of the best home advantages in world footy given you're playing at 13k feet elevation. They are absolute crap and Richarlison scoring against them for one of the most talented teams in international football doesn't mean he's suddenly an elite player.

While we're talking about Richarlison I'll make clear my stance on him. As a winger his goal production is excellent. Any team in the world would take it. The problem is he's one of the worst passing wide players in any of the major European leagues. He's an absolute shambles. And so when you play him wide you've got to weigh the benefit of his production with that gaping hole in what you'd want an ideal wide player to do. It isn't that clear of an answer.

So the natural reaction to that is to move him to a position where the production in the box is the whole job and not just part of it. Which is why you see him play striker at times. The problem is he's not an elite goal scorer as a striker. From wide positions one in three is great, as a center forward it is very average.

What it boils down to for me is that he's not improved. All he really needed to do from when he arrived to now was retain possession a bit better, link up a bit and maybe get slightly better at moving the ball forward so he could put in a reasonable effort as a wide player in possession. He hasn't done and it means he's just not the player it looked like he maybe could have been when we signed. My hope is we sell before everyone else realizes this and his value drops. Sell and reinvest in a new young winger who hopefully can be the guy we hoped Richarlison would be.
will-smith-oscars.gif

Playing him wide would be fine - if we had any attacking threat from full back. When you add no creativity in midfield on top of that means he is just redundant in most games.

I honestly don’t know where is best position is for us atm. He works hard up top but doesn’t have the physical presence for what we need right now, and think grey/Gordon are more likely to produce something special from out wide - which feels like the only way we will pick up wins atm.

I do think a four of..
Dcl
Richarlison dele gordon/grey

..looks like it has a nice balance to it on paper, but considering dele seems miles off a start doesn’t seem likely it will get a go.

richarlison was a more exciting player to watch out on the left wing for us than Gordon has ever been

for example look at his debut game for us against wolves when he ran at defenders from out wide and against leicester last season

richarlison was a more exciting player to watch out on the left wing for us than Gordon has ever been

for example look at his debut game for us against wolves when he ran at defenders from out wide and against leicester last season

His literal first game and a game years later that isn't even noteworthy if Schmeichel doesn't screw up. I'm not sure this makes the case you think it does.

Not really a surprise this.

Plays for us and we are absolutely terrible and he struggles.

Plays for Brazil and seems to turn into a different player.

Maybe.....the problem is us. Maybe if we made him the key player in the team here we might get the player for Brazil. Fans will still jump on him though when the team does badly and make out he is not good enough like we seem to for all our best players.
Very simple answer. we cannot pass or control any game in midfield. when we do then you see a better Richarlson

Playing him wide would be fine - if we had any attacking threat from full back. When you add no creativity in midfield on top of that means he is just redundant in most games.

I honestly don’t know where is best position is for us atm. He works hard up top but doesn’t have the physical presence for what we need right now, and think grey/Gordon are more likely to produce something special from out wide - which feels like the only way we will pick up wins atm.

I do think a four of..
Dcl
Richarlison dele gordon/grey

..looks like it has a nice balance to it on paper, but considering dele seems miles off a start doesn’t seem likely it will get a go.
I don't think it does balance well. Gray is similar to Richarlison, his weak points creatively aren't nearly as weak, but he's still more of a scoring first winger.

Richarlison's had the same issues for years including when Digne was outside of him. It's a him problem.

I obcerve a lack of any sort of chemistry between Richarlison and Grey. neither one it seems 'plays well with others'. Is it just me?
The fact that this is not brought up more just baffles me.

Final third, blinders on tight and looking to shoot first nearly every time. They all do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.