Remembering Bernard Murphy - and Henry Scotton

I'm not on social media either, mate!

Are there any other Everton forums where you think I should post this? I thought this place would be the best, but it'd be nice for other Everton fans to read it. All advice welcome.
Another site not mentioned (I’ve just had a look and it’s still going) is 606 Evertonians which was formed when the 606 boards on the BBC were taken down. Not sure if there are fans/posters from other clubs on there though.

I remember that day well. We conceded a last minute equaliser, (Marcus Bent, a few months before we signed him) and were all gutted coming out of the ground. Got on the coach and heard what had happened to the poor fella and losing a late goal didn’t seem important anymore.

Can anyone confirm the names of the two guys in the photo by the memorial plaque in Leicester? @Vintage said the one on the right is 'Speedo Mick'. Is that Mick Matthews who was with Bernard that day?
I go to all the aways now with Mick Matthews, he takes a wreath to that memorial garden for Yifter every time we play at Leicester. He is not on that photo, its speedo Mick on the right and im not sure who the fella one the left is.

RIP Bernard.

I think a Leicester fan also died walking to Goodson perhaps only the following season or two?

I also think Bernard’s match at Leicester saw Ferguson sent off for strangling Freund!?

Yeah, he was called Terry Orton, collapsed and died on the way to Goodison. I think it was during our first season back in the league so must have been in 2015.

The game when Bernard died was indeed the game that Ferguson went crazy (never seen anything like it!). As I recall, a teenage Rooney scored for you and then Bent scored for us. You went onto sign Bent from Ipswich, as we only had him on loan.

Shame that the respect between the fanbases has soured a bit because of idiots singing pro Tory songs (even more so when the City is labour!).

Yeah, he was called Terry Orton, collapsed and died on the way to Goodison. I think it was during our first season back in the league so must have been in 2015.

The game when Bernard died was indeed the game that Ferguson went crazy (never seen anything like it!). As I recall, a teenage Rooney scored for you and then Bent scored for us. You went onto sign Bent from Ipswich, as we only had him on loan.

Shame that the respect between the fanbases has soured a bit because of idiots singing pro Tory songs (even more so when the City is labour!).
Thanks for posting with Terry’s name. May he rest in peace, too.

Marcus was a one man pressing machine. I’ve never seen anyone else like him for that. I once met him briefly and he came across as decent ‘normal’ bloke. He’s another who struggled with mental health issues and it was good to learn he has overcome them.

What totally miserable, terrified lives those people doing that chanting must have, whichever clubs they’re from. Makes me glad I’m not them.

For those too young to remember the 1980 Olympics. this is why people got so excited about 'Yifter the Shifter':

Bernard would have been in his late teens at the time. I wish there was a picture of him from back then, flying down the wing, Yifter-style.