Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.

If you were writing a script for us to go down, it would go like it has been going.

Down and out after Burnley, even moreso after they beat Watford.

Then comes the plot twist with big wins vs. Chelsea and Leicester.

Hope reigns supreme.

A lame draw against Watford and then today which had everything, bent officiating to top it off.

But I'm less blameful of them today than some, a team with our limitations was never going to cope against 10 men under the circumstances, and not with Eriksen pulling strings as he did.

We're still in it and still have a winnable home fixture.

If we go down, then we go down. It will feel particularly sour after today though. But we are not out.

Last edited:
Need a back 4 with some pace. If Godfrey is fit I’d play him at right back instead of Coleman. Mykolenko on the left and Holgate with Mina or Keane in the middle.

Is there any scenario where if we lose to Arsenal then a point against Palace helps?

It's all on Leeds beating Brentford away on the last game of the season.

Max total Leeds can get is 38 points. They draw, we stay up. They lose, we stay up.

They get 3 points on Sunday, we're done.

We need 2 points to stay in the league with 6 points to play for. Sounds easy. But it's Everton.

A Leeds side having to play on the front foot and attack Brentford is just what Brentford will want. They’ve well set up to play on the counter.
Also think Burnley are unlikely to get enough points to finish above us. Villa beat them convincingly away and they’ve lost momentum. Newcastle have a team of players playing for their future so I can’t see them switching off.
I’m hoping it won’t go to the last day, but even if it does, I think we’re still the least likely to go down. Plus as we’ve seen throughout this season, we’re better suited to playing teams who come at us, so we might actually have more of a chance beating Arsenal away than Palace at home!

Mulling over the permutations last week, this was the only scenario I could see causing problems for us, and unfortunately it's happened. I didn't think it would be as simple as getting a win today but hoped we'd go into the Palace game only needing a draw. Hopefully Keane is back for Thursday and we can scrape a win there, but we could well be relying on Brentford to do us a favour. Another week of absolutely horrible nerve shredding. Ugh.

Obviously we fluffed a great chance there but I got this from my Akers’s mate to explain why Brentford might not do them any favours either

Status
Not open for further replies.