Relegation 2022/23

Are Everton going to stay in the Premier League?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to think at least one of the promoted clubs will get their act together. It is clear Bournemouth have financial difficulties like us. Forest are spending big and I think will end up with a better balanced squad than us. Fulham were pretty dominant last season. Right now I would say Bournemouth will finish below us and the other two above us

The other contenders would be Leeds, Southampton and Brentford. Leeds have sold their 2 best players but they have replaced with good numbers. It is worth noting that Bamford will feel a bit like a new signing for them. I feel they are ahead of us. Southampton have signed a lot of players. They have a pretty decent track record historically for recruitment. I think they are ahead of us. Brentford are an interesting one. Eriksen has been lost. They looked in free fall before he arrived. The players they have signed so far look like good investment but not necessarily players who will make a big immediate impact. However, I would still put them ahead of us right now.

So right now I think we are 19th. This is subject to change based on who we bring in. If it is Cornet, Barkley and Gilmour I would say we are gone. Winks, MGW and Cornet coupled with the Goodison effect might see us over the line

You have to think at least one of the promoted clubs will get their act together. It is clear Bournemouth have financial difficulties like us. Forest are spending big and I think will end up with a better balanced squad than us. Fulham were pretty dominant last season. Right now I would say Bournemouth will finish below us and the other two above us

The other contenders would be Leeds, Southampton and Brentford. Leeds have sold their 2 best players but they have replaced with good numbers. It is worth noting that Bamford will feel a bit like a new signing for them. I feel they are ahead of us. Southampton have signed a lot of players. They have a pretty decent track record historically for recruitment. I think they are ahead of us. Brentford are an interesting one. Eriksen has been lost. They looked in free fall before he arrived. The players they have signed so far look like good investment but not necessarily players who will make a big immediate impact. However, I would still put them ahead of us right now.

So right now I think we are 19th. This is subject to change based on who we bring in. If it is Cornet, Barkley and Gilmour I would say we are gone. Winks, MGW and Cornet coupled with the Goodison effect might see us over the line
I think you've nailed it JB.

Right now I wouldn't be confident of anyone finishing lower than us.

I suspect that Bournemouth will really struggle.

No idea how Forest will integrate so many new signings - Fulham tried it a couple of seasons ago and failed.

This time around Fulham seem to have recruited more judiciously but lost Carvalho (sic) .

Leeds have lost their best 2 players and to be honest I have no idea how good their replacements arew - they will be down there.

Arguably Brentford would have gone down were it not for Eriksen who's gone.

Along with us they are the "contenders" for relegation.

Unless we sign a DM and decent replacement for Richarlison as a bare minimum we are favourites for the drop IMO.

from new promoted teams i can see forrest and fulham finishing above us ,for now i can't see 3 worst team then us ...Bournemouth ,Evertond worst 2 team in EPL

Mate everytime some blarg twitter account or made up news report makes up a link to us someone creates a thread. I mean we still have threads for Zinchenko and Lingard so unfortunately we seem to be a forum for Creating threads for absolutely anything. Time for some serious moderation on here I guess. I'd personally have a transfer thread, board thread and misc thread for all BS related irrelevant tripe.

Not even sure we warrant a transfer thread tbh....
There's also another option for you mate !
Koff

As it stands we are 100% relegation fodder, let's make no bones about it.

Things COULD change over the next fortnight, 2/3 or quality players would increase our survival odds dramatically....

However, we've done nothing to suggest we're going to be that shrewd in the transfer market, hence the frustration.

Crap aren't we.
We aren’t signing anyone.

Spot on , summed it up perfectly

Lot of preseason games today to give us an idea of where other teams are at with two weeks to go as teams move from getting fitness to getting up to speed for the new season.

Arsenal v Chelsea (Camping World Stadium, Orlando)
Manchester United v Aston Villa (Optus Stadium, Perth)
Bournemouth v Bristol City (Vitality Stadium)
Wolfsburg v Brentford (AOK Stadion, Wolfsburg)
Reading v Brighton (Select Car Leasing Stadium)
QPR v Crystal Palace (Loftus Road) (not sure if this counts, as didn't Palace play in Australia yesterday?)
Preston v Leicester City (Deepdale)
Union Berlin v Nottingham Forest (Stadion An der Alten Försterei, Berlin)
Watford v Southampton (Wealdstone FC)
Rangers v Tottenham Hotspur (Ibrox)
Luton Town v West Ham (Kenilworth Road)
Besiktas v Wolves (Camilo Cano Stadium, Alicante)

For me we are in the mix for relegation. If we don't start well, I'm not sure I see a way back, particularly with a managerial nonentity like Lampard in charge.

The good news Is that there are a lot of others in the mix this year. Southampton were only just clear of us at the end of the season having finished on a massive losing streak. A lot of teams carry poor form through into the following season, and despite them signing a lot of players this summer, most of them seem more speculative punts than nailed on game changers. Reckon they will be well down there all season.

Bournmouth seem to be setting up to go down this year. Hard to see a plan for survival. Must be in with a chance of breaking whatever the record is for least points (is it still Derby?)

Brentford without Eriksen must be due a second season nightmare

Forest have bought in a ridiculous number of players, and you'd have to wonder whether that will work or not. Must be a risk they lose any momentum they bring with them. Can see them having a season rather like Villa first season up, where they did the same and only escaped the drop because of a refereeing error.

Fulham seem to alternate with Norwich as a yoyo team. Doubt that will change.

Which makes for five very strong candidates for the drop already. Suspect there will be a group of teams that hang around the lower half of the table all season: Leeds who have a pragmatic manager rather than a lunatic in charge, and look to have bought in some decent players this window - they probably wont miss Phillips as much as some think given he was injured all season, and will benefit from Bamford's return, but looked rotten all last season, have they fixed it?; Brighton who seem to have defied gravity season on season, but may suffer, particularly if their manager finally gets poached (which must happen sometime soon - perhaps as a replacement for Southgate when England get humiliated in Qatar this winter?); Wolves had an awful end to their season and have had a very poor transfer window to date, with owners who are clearly not particularly interested. Maybe Villa? Hard to judge Gerrard as a manager in a proper league year, but if Coutinho gets injured they may struggle as other than him their strike force is worse than ours. Would expect one of them to fall away into the relegation battle by mid-season. Question is which one.

Which all things considered, given the state of us, isn't that bad - only three relegation spots and for the coming year can see perhaps seven teams struggling to stay up. If we avoid being the absolute bottom of the table whipping boys this year (got to be Bournemouth, surely), the odds are pretty decent we will survive another year, even if its not a remotely comfortable or enjoyable year at the football (again).

Last edited:
I would imagine all the other teams in the league are targeting us as a chance of getting six points. Those teams in the bottom half will fight hard exceptionality when they play us this season as a win against us will give them points and will ensure that we are below them and we know that when any team puts it up to us we fold.
At this point in time we are going into the new season weaker than we were last term, we relied on goals and assists from Richy, to date we haven’t addressed his leaving. The new centre half is a plus but if he doesn’t get some protection from midfield then his impact will be negligible. A fit DCL is also a plus but again if he doesn’t have creativity from midfield then again he can’t score and his impact will be lessened.
Everything, in my mind, points to midfield and the need to get in someone mobile who can sweep across the front of the defence and someone who can pass the ball forward. I have no doubt that, despite all the paper talk about wingers, the club are looking to correct things in midfield but my fear is that we are so very poor at identifying and buying the players we need we will just repeat last season and sack Frank at Christmas.
Experience has shown us that this group have neither the talent or the drive to compete in the Premier League, last year we were saved by the fact that there were worse teams than us in the league, I think we are now one of the worst three clubs and unless we address our midfield issues we will face a season long stay at the bottom.

We have a bit of Sunderland feel when Moyes took over tbh. Allardyce had scraped survival with them and they lost one or two decent players that summer and then crashed and burned.

This squad hasn’t hit rock bottom yet.

Lot of preseason games today to give us an idea of where other teams are at with two weeks to go as teams move from getting fitness to getting up to speed for the new season.

QPR v Crystal Palace (Loftus Road) (not sure if this counts, as didn't Palace play in Australia yesterday?)

For me we are in the mix for relegation. If we don't start well, I'm not sure I see a way back, particularly with a managerial nonentity like Lampard in charge.

The good news Is that there are a lot of others in the mix this year. Southampton were only just clear of us at the end of the season having finished on a massive losing streak. A lot of teams carry poor form through into the following season, and despite them signing a lot of players this summer, most of them seem more speculative punts than nailed on game changers. Reckon they will be well down there all season.

Bournmouth seem to be setting up to go down this year. Hard to see a plan for survival. Must be in with a chance of breaking whatever the record is for least points (is it still Derby?)

Forest have bought in a ridiculous number of players, and you'd have to wonder whether that will work or not. Must be a risk they lose any momentum they bring with them. Can see them having a season rather like Villa first season up, where they did the same and only escaped the drop because of a refereeing error.

Which makes for five very strong candidates for the drop already. Suspect there will be a group of teams that hang around the lower half of the table all season: Leeds who have a pragmatic manager rather than a lunatic in charge, and look to have bought in some decent players this window - they probably wont miss Phillips as much as some think given he was injured all season, and will benefit from Bamford's return, but looked rotten all last season, have they fixed it?; Brighton who seem to have defied gravity season on season, but may suffer, particularly if their manager finally gets poached (which must happen sometime soon - perhaps as a replacement for Southgate when England get humiliated in Qatar this winter?); Wolves had an awful end to their season and have had a very poor transfer window to date, with owners who are clearly not particularly interested. Maybe Villa? Hard to judge Gerrard as a manager in a proper league year, but if Coutinho gets injured they may struggle as other than him their strike force is worse than ours. Would expect one of them to fall away into the relegation battle by mid-season. Question is which one.

Which all things considered, given the state of us, isn't that bad - only three relegation spots and for the coming year can see perhaps seven teams struggling to stay up. If we avoid being the absolute bottom of the table whipping boys this year (got to be Bournemouth, surely), the odds are pretty decent we will survive another year, even if its not a remotely comfortable or enjoyable year at the football (again).
Some good points. For us I just don’t see where the goals will come from.we have one senior striker who is completely dependent on quality service which we can’t give him

Villa have some real quality. Coutinho, Buendia. Fullbacks that can create and some good young talent. Gerrard might hold them back but they have enough talent to be comfortable in terms of beating the drop.

Wolves look like they are going to hang onto Neves. They have a decent defensive record and MGW added to Neves, Moutinho and Dendonker is levels above us. I would also take Podence, Neto and Hee-Chan over Gray, Townsend and Gordon. DCL v Jimenez is a close call.

Brighton have a good coach and a set style of playing. Losing Bisouma will be a blow. Will be interesting to see if the can keep hold of their left wing back with City sniffing around. Think they will be ok though.

Palace have split their squad up, one party (featuring Edouard, Mateta, Guaita, Clyne and Ayew) played in the Australian games, the other (featuring Zaha, Benteke, Eze and Guehi) have been playing domestically, todays game is their last friendly by the looks of things

Keane
Davies
Gomes
Coleman
Holgate
Rondon

Added to a weak as pi55 attack and a completely impotent midfield are all the reasons why we will be in a relegation scrap again next season.

We will be in the mix, my only hope is DCL will fire again but I see no evidence or supply line and a midfield that's none existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.