Relegation 2022/23

Are Everton going to stay in the Premier League?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dodgy pen, own goal, deflection...

Seems our magnificent men are surpassing last season's quota of misfortune as well. Two or three injuries away from being cut adrift at the basement..

And that's the whole point I'm making.

He was red to a bull, and that deflected a lot from the reality.

A lot of fans think it was Benitez that took us to the brink last season and that we'll be safe this season because Lampard is in now, has a full pre-season and isn't firefighting and not Benitez.

The reality (well, maybe not reality, it's my opinion) is, the squad Lampard has is the same (well, a lot worse not Richarlison has gone) than what Benitez had and it's relegation fodder.

That's the biggest problem, but it doesn't negate the manager entirely.

Lampard has to continue to be pragmatic. He started off idealistic, 'enjoy the ball' - it would have sent us down, thankfully it become 'get a result by any means...', and my concern is he'll try and stamp his own style - a style we don't have the players to play.

I expect a similar season to last year with these players. If we come 16th again with the current squad, I would see that as acceptable to be honest. Anything 17th and above would be acceptable and a good effort from the manager.

If things changes and he gets given 2 or 3 good players, then expectations might change to midtable, but I don't really see that happening.

I think most supporters get our situation now because last year was so bad for so many reasons. I've never known morale and expectations to be as low as this probably since we sold Rooney.

August is a big month already for our survival. 3 of the 5 teams will be in and around the bottom 5... Need to go into September with points on the board.

Think was Strachan’s first season, everybody was panicking about pre season defeats and we won the league easily by about 15 points, so don’t worry about pre season
When the upcoming season is following on from a relegation battle the season before with a weakened squad and the same dross that had us in a relegation battle, then why should people not worry?

Failing to see the remotest comparison with the Celtic situation from 15 years ago.

I see all the heatwave survivors have gathered here to bring more sensationalist doom mongering. Get back to building your arks for the incoming drizzle you loons.

When the upcoming season is following on from a relegation battle the season before with a weakened squad and the same dross that had us in a relegation battle, then why should people not worry?

Failing to see the remotest comparison with the Celtic situation from 15 years ago.
Its same the, Celtic fans going nuts over pre season results and the Everton fans going nuts over pre season, all I’m saying look how it turned out for us, as being champions.

Nothing is certain, and we are certainly not doomed. But our current squad is likely to be in a relegation battle again and we could go down. They haven't suddenly transformed into far better players, and they are collectively not good enough.

That's not bed wetting. That's not hysteria. That's not being overly negative. It's just the reality of the position we find ourselves in.

The manager has had his best player sold for over £50m, and has not been given any of the money to reinvest - yet at least. We are 16 days away from playing meaningful premier league football, and we are not ready at all. If I were him, I would feel extremely let down, and I would be extremely annoyed at the hierarchy of the club. This is a difficult enough job even without the lack of support.

Either we strengthen the squad with smart recruitment of quality players, or we could (I'm not saying we will, but we definitely could) go down. To think anything else is burying your head in the sand.
Well put.

Let's see how we look by the time the transfer window closes, and who has put early points on the board for the teams who should end up being around us. Having Mina and DCL available for 25-30 games could make all the difference this season.

Would have been relegated without Richarldison last season. So it could well happen this season. We have a crap defence, midfield and blunt attack. Jury still out on Lampard (but the jobs a poisoned challis for whoever is in charge).

We need to be set up as hard to beat and grind out home results. It'll be the only way unfortunately.

It is far too early to panic yet and these defeats will count for nothing if lessons are learned.

For me... the one thing that hasn't changed is that midfield is still our problem area.
Last night we started with Doucoure, Davies and Iwobi in midfield and none of them are able to play as an anchor man covering in front of the back four.

Iwobi was unfortunately back to his old self last night I thought running around like a headless chicken but doing nothing.
Doucoure just had a bad night and Davies played a lot of ball but offered no cover to the players behind him, if he is to be played I think it needs to be much further forward.

Gray is a useful squad player but no more than that.

In the second half I thought at least Godfrey showed aggression and based on what I have seen so far I would start Mills ahead of Gray.

I don't at all agree with playing a centre half as a defensive midfielder but until Allan is able to return I would play Holgate there because at the moment we must be the easiest team to open up and attack... we just seem to disappear from defensive midfield positions when we are under pressure.

We have got to learn to stop losing before we learn to win and for me last night gave messages so clear they are impossible to ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.