Relegation 2022/23

Are Everton going to stay in the Premier League?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you say that about Benitez Tim?

'The problem' - more than one thing can be an issue.

No of course not.

Because anyone who has ever watched football knew that he was the wrong appointment and that there are extremely few examples of a manager being successful at a club and then moving to their rivals and being equally successful.

The real delusion was our fans who thought it was the right appointment. Absolutely bonkers when you look back on it.

The person to blame though, was Moshiri as owner, for making such a ridiculous appointment. He's the person to blame for the club's decline as a whole.

I get that you don't like Lampard - fair enough, but I really don't see what more he could have done last season. I will be pretty upset if people turn on him quickly this year when he has not been supported. Benitez didn't actually lose a key player either, so there's another difference to last year.

How predictable that knives are aimed at Lampard and not the bigger issue of who’s running the show. Wake up people, the clowns at the top are dragging this club down not Frank Lampard, that’s why there’s a protest at the weekend

Glad you've come to this realisation that it doesn't matter who is the manager - you was calling for Benitez to be sacked within months after spending £1.7m - the club are in the doldrums because of the owner/boardroom.

Glad you've come to this realisation that it doesn't matter who is the manager - you was calling for Benitez to be sacked within months after spending £1.7m - the club are in the doldrums because of the owner/boardroom.
I was calling for him not to be appointed period tbf, that’s when the protests should have been stronger

Last season we had 10 points after 4 games. That turned out to be massive in us staying up. We ain't getting that kind of start this year with this team.

As it stands we are in big trouble as I fear we will carry on where we left off.

Two weeks to fix this or this is the season our luck runs out.

No of course not.

Because anyone who has ever watched football knew that he was the wrong appointment and that there are extremely few examples of a manager being successful at a club and then moving to their rivals and being equally successful.

The real delusion was our fans who thought it was the right appointment. Absolutely bonkers when you look back on it.

The person to blame though, was Moshiri as owner, for making such a ridiculous appointment. He's the person to blame for the club's decline as a whole.

I get that you don't like Lampard - fair enough, but I really don't see what more he could have done last season. I will be pretty upset if people turn on him quickly this year when he has not been supported. Benitez didn't actually lose a key player either, so there's another difference to last year.
Moshiri hasn't done any due diligence on the heirachy when he invested.
If he would he would have seen the utter incompetence of kenwright and his cronies.
They have all been responsible for our decline and Moshiri has just handed over the money without any opposition of how it has been wasted.
We are a shambles of a club and the worrying thing is nothing has changed at board room level!!!!!
But we still have DBB!!!!

I mean, the board being crap and Benitez being the wrong appointment can both be true

It doesn't have to be an either/or

You could argue that Benitez's crapness exacerbated an already dicey situation

Hes not the problem and he does seem like a nice bloke and I don't want him sacked but he does seem a bit crap at this point
He's definitely not the problem but he's also not likely to be the solution. It took one of the greatest managers in history to get us midtable with a stronger squad than this one.

I think there was some, typical pre-season delusion that crept in to parts of the fan base.

Lampard has a full pre-season, he'll stamp his style...
Tarkowski will sort the defence...
We'll replace Richarlison...

Pre-season matches are a nonsense, they're not needed to tell me this team, managed by Frank Lampard is relegation fodder;

Just like it was under Benitez, and just like it will be around Christmas under Roberto Martinez if we don't make the signings desperately needed/Lampard lasts that long.

The players and those who recruited the players are the problem, not the manager.

Did you say that about Benitez Tim?

'The problem' - more than one thing can be an issue.

No of course not.

So, "the players and those who recruited the players are the problem, not the manager"

But whether this applied to Benitez, you say "no of course not"

Says it all.

As I said, this team is relegation fodder. Just like it was under Benitez, and like it would be under any Lampard replacement.

The issue is, as you say - the players and those who recruited them, Benitez had the same problem as Lampard.

You don't "get" it, because that's not true.

You don't have to be for, or against - you can take a 'I don't know/let's see...' approach.

Far too early.

For me, Frank Lampard is another Marco Silva. I've got no clue whether he's a good manager, or not. Time will tell.

I mean, the board being crap and Benitez being the wrong appointment can both be true

It doesn't have to be an either/or

You could argue that Benitez's crapness exacerbated an already dicey situation

Exactly that.

But let's be consistent and fair with criticism.

Benitez wasn't exempt from criticism because of the players he had.

Lampard shouldn't be either.

On the upside: only pre-season, playing a half decent Minnesota side who are half way into their year and I understand to be in the running to win the MLS. Also it's hot and stuff. Knee-Jerk United FC

On the downside: we should be winning those anyway, that midfield is frighteningly bad, and Michael Keane is still a first choice centre half. Signings needed to lift morale and quality on the park or we will be in trouble. CB, DM/No.8 and goalscoring winger/second striker desperately needed

Those calling for us to sell our best players to fund reinforcements: have a day off.

Those pointing the finger at Lampard: hold that thought until we're three games in to the new season with 0 points and GD of -8.

So, "the players and those who recruited the players are the problem, not the manager"

But whether this applied to Benitez, you say "no of course not"

Says it all.

As I said, this team is relegation fodder. Just like it was under Benitez, and like it would be under any Lampard replacement.

The issue is, as you say - the players and those who recruited them, Benitez had the same problem as Lampard.

You don't "get" it, because that's not true.

You don't have to be for, or against - you can take a 'I don't know/let's see...' approach.

Far too early.

For me, Frank Lampard is another Marco Silva. I've got no clue whether he's a good manager, or not. Time will tell.

Exactly that.

But let's be consistent and fair with criticism.

Benitez wasn't exempt from criticism because of the players he had.

Lampard shouldn't be either.

We made an appointment that in my mind had zero chance of working out. He was the wrong fit for the club, and what happened was entirely predictable.

The players are the problem. But when you appoint a divisive manager who is not going to be here long term, and has no chance of being a success, then the manager becomes the main problem.

I guess the point I'm trying to make, but maybe not that coherently, is that by appointing Benitez, the manager became the biggest issue at the club. But under pretty much any other appointment we could have made (maybe not the Aston Villa manager!), the playing is squad is clearly the number 1 issue.

But all decisions come back to the owner and board. They are responsible for the position we find ourselves, and while they remain in place, they are responsible for finding solutions.

We only just avoided relegation and have sold our best player. People will say but it’s only pre-season but the alarm bells are ringing with our results and performances. An experienced manager would struggle in those circumstances let alone Lampard whose learning in the job. My only hope is that we can use the loan market well, but as it stands we are totally unprepared for the start of the season and ultimately a relegation battle.

We made an appointment that in my mind had zero chance of working out. He was the wrong fit for the club, and what happened was entirely predictable.

The players are the problem. But when you appoint a divisive manager who is not going to be here long term, and has no chance of being a success, then the manager becomes the main problem.

I guess the point I'm making is that by appointing Benitez, the manager became the biggest issue at the club. But under pretty much any other appointment we could have made (maybe not the Aston Villa manager!), the playing is squad is clearly the number 1 issue.

And that's the whole point I'm making.

He was red to a bull, and that deflected a lot from the reality.

A lot of fans think it was Benitez that took us to the brink last season and that we'll be safe this season because Lampard is in now, has a full pre-season and isn't firefighting and not Benitez.

The reality (well, maybe not reality, it's my opinion) is, the squad Lampard has is the same (well, a lot worse now Richarlison has gone) than what Benitez had and it's relegation fodder.

That's the biggest problem, but it doesn't negate the manager entirely.

Lampard has to continue to be pragmatic. He started off idealistic, 'enjoy the ball' - it would have sent us down, thankfully it become 'get a result by any means...', and my concern is he'll try and stamp his own style - a style we don't have the players to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.