Recruitment, recruitment, recruitment....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timak

Player Valuation: £25m
...I am more and more coming to the conclusion that recruitment (buying players in simple terms) is the key factor in the long term success of a manager.

In short you need to buy players in areas of the team that need improving and ensure that the players you buy can be sold on for a profit to allow reinvestment.

This was something Moyes was a master in given the budget he operated on.

Since his departure we seem to have regressed to a typically wasteful Premier League club. This could cause major problems in the future.

Firstly lets look at all first team signings made in the last 15 years:

My ratings as signings not as players.

Excellent- Player either played lots of games for us and/or was sold for a decent profit (doesn't mean world class player, just as a signing for the money they cost)
Good - they did OK for us and we either made our money back or small profit/loss
OK - either cheap or filled a hole in the team
Poor - didn't really do much and we lost money
Rubbish - rubbish on the pitch and sold at a loss
Unlucky - injury prevents proper judgement

Moyes era
Yobo - Excellent
Rodrigo - Unlucky
Wright - Poor

Bent - Excellent
McFadden - Excellent (tripled our money)
Kilbane - Excellent
Martyn - Excellent

Davies - Rubbish
Beattie - Good
Cahill - Excellent

Lescott - Excellent
Johnson - Good
Neville - Excellent
Arteta - Excellent
Kroldrup - Rubbish
Van der Meyde - Rubbish
Valente - Poor

Howard - Excellent
Jagielka - Excellent

Baines - Excellent
Yakubu - Excellent followed by Unlucky followed by Rubbish (hardest one to categorise!) - Poor overall
Gosling - Poor

Coleman - Excellent
Pienaar - Excellent
Fellaini - Excellent

Bilyaletdinov - Poor
Heitinga - Poor (player of the season but then didn't continue the form and free transfer)
Distin - Good

Gibson -Good (as he was cheap)
Jelavic - Good

Stones - Excellent
Oviedo - Good/Unlucky
Mirallas - Excellent
Pienaar - Ok (second time signing)
Naismith - Excellent

Moyes overall
Excellent - 18
Good - 6
OK - 1
Poor - 6
Rubbish - 3

Martinez era

McGeady - Rubbish
McCarthy - Good (Excellent first season and would have been a big profit ,now I think we'd lose money)
Robles - Good
Kone - Unlucky/Rubbish so Poor overall

Barry - Excellent
Besic - Unlucky
Lukaku - Excellent
Galloway - OK

Deulofeu - Good (easily worth the money, potential to be excellent)
Tarashaj - OK (probably make our money back)
Lennon - OK
Funes Mori - Good (probably make our money back)
Cleverly - Good (free so would get a profit)
Niasse - Rubbish
Holgate - Excellent

Excellent - 3
Good - 5
OK - 3
Poor - 1
Rubbish - 2

Koeman

Stekelenburg - Good
Gueye - Excellent
Williams - OK
Bolasie - Unlucky/OK (at that money and age no chance of a profit and every chance of all money being written off over 4 years)

Excellent - 1
Good - 1
OK - 2

In summary I think we've seen a sharp decline in the hit/miss rate since Moyes left. Hopefully Walsh/Koeman can improve it but they haven't started that well. Recruiting good players and using them to generate profits for future buys is the way every sensible club is run. We've basically written off the best part of £50m on the signings of Williams, Bolasie and Niasse in the last year. We cannot afford to screw up our buys so badly in the future.

I'm sure most appreciate that on the whole, Moyes did well in the transfer market, while Martinez was hit and miss - Lukaku and Niasse being the two contrasts in the extreme.

Jury still out on Koeman obvs.

Reactions: JLW
Cleverly - Good (free so would get a profit)

Cleverly - Good

tumblr_m4tsramCAy1qzyang.gif

I think you are right, and even more so with Koeman who's method is not to massively develop his way out of trouble. He spots decent players and moulds them into a team. Look at the team below he built at Southampton on around 100 million Budget (so for what he managed to sell Shaw, Lallana, Lovren and Chambers for).

Forster

Clyne
VVD
Alderweireld
Bertrand

Romeu
Wanyama
Claissie

Tadic
Mane
Pelle.

That side would finish top 4 for me. it's probably a striker and another central midfielder away from being serious title challengers.

I think you are right, and even more so with Koeman who's method is not to massively develop his way out of trouble. He spots decent players and moulds them into a team. Look at the team below he built at Southampton on around 100 million Budget (so for what he managed to sell Shaw, Lallana, Lovren and Chambers for).

Forster

Clyne
VVD
Alderweireld
Bertrand

Romeu
Wanyama
Claissie

Tadic
Mane
Pelle.

That side would finish top 4 for me. it's probably a striker and another central midfielder away from being serious title challengers.

well, that side actually finished 7th mate...

....I've said numerous times on this site that you should judge a manager on his record in the transfer market. Tactics, man management etc are important but generally speaking, buying or selling players is key to achieving your objectives, be that winning trophies, being top 4 or merely staying up.

I suspect this is what this thread is suggesting.

It's a good point....

And unless your City or Chelsea, player trading is a very important part of evolving as a football club. the days of players staying more that 1 contract are over.....

Status
Not open for further replies.