Homepage Update: Recruiting strategy is key...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyC

Staff member

For almost the entire season and especially since the Anfield derby the form of Everton has, at best, been patchy and at worst downright embarrassingly awful, and this has led to an increasing number of questions over the capabilities of the manager Marco Silva.

Now this article hasn’t been written with the outright intention of adding further fuel to the fires of discontent that burn in certain quarters and are reaching wildfire proportions in others in wanting to see Silva ousted, it’s an offering of how the appointment of key staff like a head coach or manager could/should be handled.

Full article here: https://www.grandoldteam.com/2019/02/16/recruiting-strategy-is-key/

@AndyC If this isnt stoking the fire further by insinuating Silva may be sacked then how is an article on sourcing and recruiting a manager relevant ?

It does look as if youre suggesting Silva should be fired and Brands should take the reigns and follow your path to hiring a new head coach / manager...

@AndyC If this isnt stoking the fire further by insinuating Silva may be sacked then how is an article on sourcing and recruiting a manager relevant ?

It does look as if youre suggesting Silva should be fired and Brands should take the reigns and follow your path to hiring a new head coach / manager...

Well, if you include Martinez as well, as seasons 2 and 3 were woeful, then the last four managerial appointments all seem to have lacked some due process in securing the right man for the role.
So, the article isn't specifically about sacking Silva, it's a suggestion that if we do bring his time to an early conclusion, we can but hope that Marcel Brands goes about recruiting a new head coach/manager in a better fashion than have done previously.

If the article sudgests Silva should be sacked then i will say without evening reading it, thats its a good read

Well, if you include Martinez as well, as seasons 2 and 3 were woeful, then the last four managerial appointments all seem to have lacked some due process in securing the right man for the role.
So, the article isn't specifically about sacking Silva, it's a suggestion that if we do bring his time to an early conclusion, we can but hope that Marcel Brands goes about recruiting a new head coach/manager in a better fashion than have done previously.
Moshiri's stratergy for the silva appointment was down to silva winning 4 games at Watford and looking good doing it.

that seemed to outweigh the fact that he has one of the worst premier league defensive records , esp at set plays.

so it was very very Everton, to go and hire a premier league manager , relegated, sacked and also the holder of the worst defensive set play record.

id like to think the next manager will at least have a winning record, or at the very least a better goals for than against... its pretty basic stuff to say the least

Which is completely why Silva shouldn’t be booted before a superior successor is in place. We saw what happens when you ignore this rule last season.
See last time we sacked a manager, or you could say the last 2 managers if you include Sam and Koeman, the manager was in place before the sacking, only problem was the manager who was lined up, in this case Silva, was worse then both the managers he was replacing, Sam and Koeman,

See last time we sacked a manager, or you could say the last 2 managers if you include Sam and Koeman, the manager was in place before the sacking, only problem was the manager who was lined up, in this case Silva, was worse then both the managers he was replacing, Sam and Koeman,

Judge him at the end of the season. Who knows he may yet turn it around.

Unlikely I know, but he’s not getting sacked, so let’s reserve judgement until then.

I'm not sure having a strategy to employ a coach is the most pressing problem we have. The most crucial job Brands has, as I see it, is getting hold of enough money to get new players in, and thereby finally force out the detritus that's failed us utterly on the pitch for years. Brands needs to scout out and screen players character-wise as well as ability and how they fit into a managerial system. From his signings, no one's going to tell me that the likes of Richarlison, Mina and Bernard are going to go to war for us when the going gets tough. Only Digne seems a good sort in that respect.

Players with no heart have killed us for 5 years. That at least was never a problem during the Sgt Major Hoofball era - I give him credit for that.

You would have thought and hoped that this process was in place for the recruitment of Silva.It probably wasn’t which says a lot about those in charge. This should be the same method for recruiting players(as mentioned by a previous poster). It doesn’t appear to have happened prior to Brands, I think his hands were tied last summer by time restraints. Hopefully this Summer will see improved player recruitment.
As for Silva ,I am not convinced he is the right person for the job but would happily be proved wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.