Match Thread Reading vs. Everton - Tuesday 22nd Sept - Capital One Cup Third Round - 20:00 KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW - massive respect to all the Blues who travelled from Merseyside, probably most still on their way home - always fills me with awe to see the dedication of our support.
Can't claim credit for that as I live near Oxford and work near Reading.

A good night's work all round - got out of jail really as few of our boys played well. Stones is in a league of his own. Robles is not a premiership goalkeeper. Reading fans may regret winding Geri up....only seemed to motivate him. These are the things we learned tonight.

Agree with Esk about all the Merseysiders getting down here midweek - we made a good noise I thought.

And respect to Reading - unlucky tonight and competed with us as equals for most of that match

I get to two or three away games a season. Tonight was one. I haven't seen us win since Newcastle away in 2012. Thank god that wait's over! Thought we had a much more balanced second half and looked more solid with Lennon at RB and Galloway involved too. Plus Barry was a great sub even though I thought it was a mistake at the time! Two quality goals and great to see Blues getting behind the team. Away support seems a bit less pessimistic these days- even taking into account last season!

Only downer was some lad in the row in front of me giving Lukaku dogs abuse for being lazy. For me, he's obviously out of form but tonight he seemed to be chasing absolutely everything down in that second half and was obviously shattered by 80 minutes. Should have been subbed- but far from lazy. We wouldn't be Evertonians if we didn't like a moan though. Top night!

I get to two or three away games a season. Tonight was one. I haven't seen us win since Newcastle away in 2012. Thank god that wait's over! Thought we had a much more balanced second half and looked more solid with Lennon at RB and Galloway involved too. Plus Barry was a great sub even though I thought it was a mistake at the time! Two quality goals and great to see Blues getting behind the team. Away support seems a bit less pessimistic these days- even taking into account last season!

Only downer was some lad in the row in front of me giving Lukaku dogs abuse for being lazy. For me, he's obviously out of form but tonight he seemed to be chasing absolutely everything down in that second half and was obviously shattered by 80 minutes. Should have been subbed- but far from lazy. We wouldn't be Evertonians if we didn't like a moan though. Top night!

He was up against two beasts who were proper on their game.

4500 is impressive indeed!

The numbers good but actual backing of our team was awful again!! We have crap fans and to those who say we're the best in the league we are not at all, clearly don't go home and away..

Id rather have us took 2000 tonight who stand, sing and have a laugh n support the team.

....the continuation of Barkley's fine form is a real boost for me, if his application matches his ability we have some player and that is consistently happening this season. Mori did fine, settled into the game and won a few headers from corners (perhaps worth a goalscorer bet). Barry made a significant contribution and it's surely a matter of time before Deulofeu gets a run of games, he gives us something different in the top third.

Home draw now please.

The numbers good but actual backing of our team was awful again!! We have crap fans and to those who say we're the best in the league we are not at all, clearly don't go home and away..

Id rather have us took 2000 tonight who stand, sing and have a laugh n support the team.

Sorry mate, I was in the main stand and for our players to run out and see the away end packed to the rafters for a midweek game speaks volumes for our support. Wouldn't be many teams who in similar circumstances would have matched our numbers and backing tonight.

Was reporting on the Leicester game tonight, but from what I saw, the first half we had loads of possession, but they defended well and we were crap in attack. Koné and Rom were useless up top, and our main creative outlet was Barkley, who was playing deeper - meaning that because of the forwards being so ineffective, Del was having to do a lot on his own and was getting doubled up on (still did one amazing run and cross that Kone somehow managed to miss).

When Barry came on Ross pushed forward and as a team we looked more comfortable. Barry kick-started our attacks and Ross and Del worked well together. Two great goals.

Also thought that Lennon did fine at RB. Very disciplined. Would have liked him to get forward a bit more but in fairness Del was doing the work on his own anyway.
Screaming at lennon whole second half to over lap del. Think he was concerned about getting caught up field which I totally understand. Been an aging fullback myself

....the continuation of Barkley's fine form is a real boost for me, if his application matches his ability we have some player and that is consistently happening this season. Mori did fine, settled into the game and won a few headers from corners (perhaps worth a goalscorer bet). Barry made a significant contribution and it's surely a matter of time before Deulofeu gets a run of games, he gives us something different in the top third.

Home draw now please.

Agreed Eggs, he's coming on in leaps and bounds this season. I think the main part he needs to work on is his awareness when not in possession and closing down space and forcing the opposition to pass quicker. He had another Matic moment last night where he gave there player a chance to shoot ( I think it was the one Robles punched and made a bit of a mess of ). Rooney is someone who was superb at this, always making the opposition turn over possession quicker. Barkley is a big unit who, if you seen closing you down at pace, you would think twice about holding onto the ball.

Decision making, trying to get the final passes on goal and of course scoring goals are where he's currently excelling. He looks full of confidence and long may that continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.