2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like any manager mate, you’ll always get a few folk who find fault.

Although none have got at my nerves as much as this since Moyes’ haters.

I'm hardly his biggest fan, but I think you have to be fair about these things

He will inevitably make decisions that deserve criticism, and when that happens he should get it

However, when you jump on him for everything deserved or not, you reach the point where the legitimate criticisms lose their relevance

Certainly when it comes to the League campaign thus far he's done very little that I could fault him on and I think that entitles him to a little bit of benefit of the doubt in regards to the QPR result

But, you know, internet gonna internet

£1.7m budget and aiming for the top 7.

Say what you want about the man but he has ambishun - people can koff with all this off to China for a pension nonsense.

He laughingly called China a project and the pandemic changed everything. Translation the money run out so he legged it from the project, the man is a money grabbing odious toad

Yeah I think in the short term it’s not an issue but presumably if their owners are competent and serious about investing then they’ll be a good team in a couple of seasons. Regardless of Newcastle, there are a number of teams we can’t compete with financially, namely City, Chelsea and Utd. We have very little margin for error now. We need to get into Europe soon, kick on and invest very wisely in players to have a chance of competing.
Newcastle in reality will have similar issues to Everton under Moshiri. FFP and Premiership rules mean they can’t replicate what City or Chelsea did. If they make good signings and increase revenues then yes they can start to push for Europe maybe next season but if they overspend on players that don’t work out (like Everton did) they will find themselves facing the same issues that Everton face now regardless of how rich the owners are. The barriers to further investment at Everton are not about Moshiri not having the cash or being unwilling to spend it.

He will inevitably make decisions that deserve criticism, and when that happens he should get it

However, when you jump on him for everything deserved or not, you reach the point where the legitimate criticisms lose their relevance

Certainly when it comes to the League campaign thus far he's done very little that I could fault him on and I think that entitles him to a little bit of benefit of the doubt in regards to the QPR result

Be gone, with your common sense you.

He laughingly called China a project and the pandemic changed everything. Translation the money run out so he legged it from the project, the man is a money grabbing odious toad
Oh FFS this old chestnut :zzz:

Please enlighten us with a long list of people in football, or any industry who don’t always look for large financial gain in their employment.
What a pathetic point to use against him.

The two part interview with red echo is very good - this man is starting to grow on me. I was completely horrified when his name was first mentioned, but so far he is walking the walk as well as talking the talk.

China was a big project in fairness look at some of the talent that went over there in recent years. Once the Chinese Government stopped the investment / COVID hit he decided it was time to come home and I dont blame him tbh.

Spot on.

Even the most ardent anti-Benitez blues will be happy if he can keep getting the boys to produce.

It is only early days but there is enough evidence to suggest that he understood the areas we needed to address. The tweaking of Doucoure's role has been superb and identifying Gray and Townsend looks like a masterstroke. Let's hope that he gets some proper backing in January!

The internet/GOT problem is the trolls feeding off some fan's uncertainty and reservations about his appointment.

Newcastle in reality will have similar issues to Everton under Moshiri. FFP and Premiership rules mean they can’t replicate what City or Chelsea did. If they make good signings and increase revenues then yes they can start to push for Europe maybe next season but if they overspend on players that don’t work out (like Everton did) they will find themselves facing the same issues that Everton face now regardless of how rich the owners are. The barriers to further investment at Everton are not about Moshiri not having the cash or being unwilling to spend it.
Yes that’s correct but I think Newcastle will have a bit of leeway in terms of FFP for a couple of seasons which will allow them to spend big over the next couple of windows. If they get that right then they could be pushing for Europe in a couple of years. But as we know that can be a big if.

I suppose the other thing is now it’s not so unusual to have extremely wealthy clubs. When Chelsea and city were at it very few clubs could match the sort of financial packages they could offer. There are now a number of options across Europe for top players so it kind of dilutes the value of having that sort of backing.

Yes that’s correct but I think Newcastle will have a bit of leeway in terms of FFP for a couple of seasons which will allow them to spend big over the next couple of windows. If they get that right then they could be pushing for Europe in a couple of years. But as we know that can be a big if.

I suppose the other thing is now it’s not so unusual to have extremely wealthy clubs. When Chelsea and city were at it very few clubs could match the sort of financial packages they could offer. There are now a number of options across Europe for top players so it kind of dilutes the value of having that sort of backing.
and with us, when Moshiri came in we weren't terrible. We were finishing top 7 fairly consistently if you ignore Roberto's last two seasons. We had great young players like Rom and Barkley, Baines and Coleman were at their peak and we had the spine of a really good squad. Had we got the recruitment and the managerial appointment right, convinced our best players to stay we really could have achieved something special. All if's and buts, but our starting point when the money came in was pretty strong.
Newcastle are relegation fodder and have been for a few years. They're squad is awful and with the exception of ASM, who could be another Bolaise if you put him in a half decent side, they have no real assets to sell or a spine to build around - they need an entire new squad. Chelsea had players like Terry, Lampard and Cole when the money came in... I believe Kompany, Hart and Zabaleta were all already at City so for Newcastle to do what all these other clubs have done they will need to do it the hard way and from scratch. They can spend 200 million in January and they could spend that on 2 world class players who will be forced to play alongside Championship level team mates - that may get them a few places up the league but it's not going to rocket them to 6th or something... or they can start rebuilding the squad slowly piece by piece and try to climb the table gradually but even then upper mid table level players that will get them to the next level go for 30-50 million now and no one will sell to them cheap so it's going to be tough and it'll take time. I'm interested to show how it all plays out though.

I think the days are gone that we just throw money around at random players with no apparent plan.

If RB can keep us up at or near the top of the table then I think there will be plenty of money to spend.
Prove your ability first and then spend which is the reverse of what we were doing.

Even though we spent buckets of money stupidly we should remember that some of it was spent very well.
Pickford is worth substantially more than we paid for him as is Digne, Mina, DCL, Doucoure,Richarlison and Gray.

I think that Allan and Keane have at least retained their value and we do have young prospects like Branthwaite.

The basis for a top team is there , we are probably short about three for the team and maybe five overall for the squad.

Fully agree and right below you have this gem which demonstrate your point excellently.

Rumour that Newcastle still have an interest but conversely Benitez is making it clear he is staying with Everton.
If they are after him and he chooses to turn down a club that he was worshipped at under extremely tight financial restraints but who are now possibly the richest club in the making, then that is some serious respect due, in my opinion.

At the weekend we'll see him stood in the blue corner against a guy who dropped us the second a seemingly better offer came in. A fella who then tried to take our best players with him!

Sometimes the Everton experience feels like a simulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.