2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think - and I've agreed with Benitez on this - they've worked hard in most games.

City aside, they're miles better than us, I think they've been badly set up in every game though. Today Benitez got the second half right. I'm happy to credit him for that. I want him to do that next game because it's so, so clear that it's needed.

I prefer 433 like you mate but say we backed Raffa in the market and he had another Doucoure or a Gana/Ndidi type alongside Doucoure with another good CB in place of tugboat Keane - personally I think the 2 in midfield would work.

We need 3 at the moment I agree but long term if he is here to stay Im not adverse to seeing him backed in the window to mould the squad to suit the system he wants.

After the Leicester game it gets a lot easier. We'll pick up a few points before then too and maybe even be top half.

The derby was the nadir of this season.

We wont be going back to that dark point.

Upwards and onwards. UTFTs!!!!!
We'll find out soon enough.

I prefer 433 like you mate but say we backed Raffa in the market and he had another Doucoure alongside Doucoure with another good CB in place of tugboat Keane - personally I think the 2 in midfield would work.

We need 3 at the moment I agree but long term if he is here to stay Im not adverse to seeing him backed in the window to mould the squad to suit the system he wants.
We could have gone and got Anguissa tbf mate. Rafael ran the rule over it.

He had autonomy this summer. Just didn't have a lot of money.

I just think not losing games has been the priority recently and his set up in the previous games hindered that. Today he made a positive change (yes he had Gomes available so it helped to do that) and it worked. I hope he keeps it now.

He's meant to be pragmatic. Well pragmatism in football is finding the best way to win. I don't think he's done that enough recently. He's been stubborn and it's hurt us. I hope it becomes 3 wins in 13 and then 4 wins in 14!

EDIT @ForeverBlue92 - I doubt Brands moved quickly enough to get Anguissa in the end mind

I said this the other day mate.

Not a kneejerk comment. He really has been poor for a long time.

Pure form. And he was fine last season but arguably not to the levels of the partnership he had with Bernard or Richarlison under Silva.

Defending isn't he great asset but the again what modern full back is?

He's the least of our issues...yet it's now an issue.

So playing 3 in midfield, like when Gomes came on worked ?

Who knew..
Fully understand we've only just had Gomes back but I mean he wasn't amazing. He just freed us up to play a different shape.

We could have played that shape with the personnel we've had fit in recent games and it might have worked. It might not, obviously, but he didn't even try and that is a valid criticism.

Gomes should never start games as he's crap when he does. But Delph is an option to play 433 as he can sit and it frees up Allan and Docuoure.

Pure form. And he was fine last season but arguably not to the levels of the partnership he had with Bernard or Richarlison under Silva.

Players who don’t want to play for the benefit of the team are an issue and have been for a long time here.

That sends a message, we don’t care if you’re the left back of France, if you don’t play the way the manager tells you to, you’re out.

His rep spoke to the Athletic and it is almost certain that Benitez punished Digne because of that (edit: this bit is, yes, speculation, as we can't be sure just yet). It could have cost the team. Just because it didn't in terms of a result, doesn't make it the right call. I am against any manager doing that to make a point. I think it's ridiculous.

Drop Digne to the bench, sound, but leaving him out entirely when he could always make a difference in a must-win game is stupid. It is absolutely stupid mate.
Sorry disagree
Sometimes statements need to be made and Digne hopefully had been put in his place.
Constantly giving free kicks away and generally poor. Attitude not great. Been poor for a while. I say it’s good management
Needs to get some players in January as centre back is a major concern

I mean, when does 'form' become the 'norm' as it were? Because form is a half dozen or so games; Digne hasn't been great for a long time. You say he was fine last season but... honestly he wasn't. He was fantastic for about a month and a half and then anonymous, every bit as bad as Coleman on the other side. The year before he was OK, not great but OK, and his first season he was spectacular.

So we've seen a very consistent gradual nosedive from him for a long time now. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather he plays than not, because Godfrey - while having a decent game through just pure commitment - isn't a left back and won't maintain it, and we have no one else, but at the same time he really should be looking at himself in the mirror in regards to his 'form'; because he wasn't a shining beacon of excellence before Benitez arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.