Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he finishes above 10th he's done an astonishing job.

We both know it won't be seen as such though.
It'll be howled down as proof that Benitez is incompetent...by the same people who'd have partied if Duncan Ferguson had been handed the manager's job and would have been happy with a bottom half position out of the relegation zone under him.

We have a right back with no legs another year older, and I don't think the squad is necessarily better as the quality of Gray/Townsend is... debatable. Are they an upgrade on Bernard? We'll see.

If we sign a right back of first team quality and two or three others, then you can argue Benitez's minimum aim is top eight. Right now, with that squad and the glaring issues it has, his minimum aim is top ten.
You said the squad was better, not me. I think it's worse and we have a worse manager so I think top half is almost impossible.

He will probably do as good as Ancelotti did.

Dour, flaccid football by a group of players going through the motions because they don’t give a toss about playing for Everton.

You set your expectations out and ours are obviously very low.

let’s hope he surprises us and is able to get more out of the players available to him similar to what Moyes did.

He will probably do as good as Ancelotti did.

Dour, flaccid football by a group of players going through the motions because they don’t give a toss about playing for Everton.

You set your expectations out and ours are obviously very low.

let’s hope he surprises us and is able to get more out of the players available to him similar to what Moyes did.
It would be very sweet to beat Moyes' Wham with Benitez managing us.

I find the dinosaur arguments for managers of certain age very amusing. In an industry constantly changing with new and improved techniques and training programmes and moving at 1000mph you are off your nut if you don't think these managers and coaches don't keep track of new updates, as they know it will be the quickest way to shorten your career.

The more i think about it, the more i think that the way this Summer has went, is that it is exactly the reason why he was brought in. Get us through this horrible period were we need to balance the books and we're coming to the end of the contracts of a vast majority of the big earners that we wanna shift.

Think he showed at Newcastle that he can keep a team semi-competitive with f all to spend. This squad is not awful by any stretch, there's still a lot of good players for him to work with here.
I think that you might be right. Grey and Townsend to cover the wings as the likes of Richarlison and James will need time out over the season. And a back up keeper if they think it's necessary.

I hope that this does not include right back though and any outgoings means we might be able to do business elsewhere.

Rather uninspiring but we go with what we got for now I guess.

It'll be howled down as proof that Benitez is incompetent...by the same people who'd have partied if Duncan Ferguson had been handed the manager's job and would have been happy with a bottom half position out of the relegation zone under him.
If benitez finishes top 10, I will be incredibly surprised but I'll also admit that I was wrong. I still won't like him or want him as our manager, but I'll accept it as he will have done better than i expected.

For me, 10th is minimum requirement with a similar points total to last season. We have the same, arguably better squad than last year (upgraded Bernard, gbamin and kean back) and the drop to 12th was what, 14 points? He has a safety net there.

Can't see it though and think we will be 12th-14th. But I hope I'm wrong.

I find the dinosaur arguments for managers of certain age very amusing. In an industry constantly changing with new and improved techniques and training programmes and moving at 1000mph you are off your nut if you don't think these managers and coaches don't keep track of new updates, as they know it will be the quickest way to shorten your career.
They do, of course, keep up with training techniques and tactical changes in the game. However, when under pressure they revert to what they know. Very few managers maintain a high level of success for decades. Like almost all professions a younger generation with new ideas and more energy and enthusiasm usher out the older generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.