Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised to see some change of opinion with those training videos. I'm glad.

But for some of the concerns regarding his commitment, unless otherwise it goes really bad between the board and him, which I don't see it happening. Moreover being close to his home which he was always looking at, one of the reasons why he was reluctant to take charge of London clubs.

Few excerpts ...(Rafael's obssession)
“Pretty much the first thing Rafael ever said to me was: ‘Get yourself to the gym’,” Torres reveals. “However strong you think you are, the centre-back here is going to be stronger. They’re 1.90m, 90 kilos. The stronger you are, the better chance you have of getting to the ball first.”

“When I’ve scored two goals or three goals, he tells me I’ve played badly, that I didn’t help out at the back…”

“Rafael talks to me a lot about the position of my body. If you’re turned fractionally more to the right or left you might get a millisecond’s advantage; if when you receive the ball you shift you weight you can get away easier. The way you position yourself against the centre-backs, focus on their position and judge their movements as well as your own is vital. One of the most important things I’ve learnt with Rafael is how to play closer to the opposition’s penalty area – how to get in behind the defenders as a solo striker. I don’t have to come back and look for the ball; I fix my position by the centre-backs more than by the ball or the build up.

“Rafael always analyses the centre backs I’m facing and the goalkeeping coach tells me about the goalkeepers. In a game it’s a matter of tenths of a second and that information can help.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...liverpool-retires-chelsea-best-strikers-world (If interested in the full article)

Word of caution, the start could be slow, irrespective of the opponents, but I expect somewhat better considering the fact the squad is better in terms of the players at disposal, apart from one or two positions.
The 2nd half of the season we will be better. He needs one full season to be judged. The first half, requires some patience as it will take time for players to get used ot his methods. It will be difficult 6 months initially.
There's no change of opinion, the posters who like him are momentarily emboldened. If he has a slow start to the season, as you suggest, the whole house of cards will tumble down.

You hated Moyes' football, you were constantly banging on about it in here and now you want it replicated?!
I don't think he said 'replication'.

A desire to see 'organisation, hard work and team spirit again' is a normal response and paramount to future success. If that is the sentence you were referring too, I think misinterpreted it.

I don't think he said 'replication'.

A desire to see 'organisation, hard work and team spirit again' is a normal response and paramount to future success. If that is the sentence you were referring too, I think misinterpreted it.
I just find it odd that @davek is invoking Moyes as a positive parallel with Benitez in any context when Dave hated Moyes with open and persistent venom. In fact, he would routinely chastise any poster who pointed out that a squad identity was a positive of Moyes' reign saying it was embarrassing and was used too frequently as cover for dull, conservative, unimaginative football. It's apparently fine now, however, as cover for the appointment of a divisive and unpopular manager.

There's no change of opinion, the posters who like him are momentarily emboldened. If he has a slow start to the season, as you suggest, the whole house of cards will tumble down.

What happens if he starts the season well mate?

You going to get behind the manager or continue waiting for him to drop points before hounding him out? :hayee:

What happens if he starts the season well mate?

You going to get behind the manager or continue waiting for him to drop points before hounding him out? :hayee:
With our fixtures, starting the season well is a minimum requirement. Southampton, Leeds, Brighton, Burnley, Villa. That's a gift of a start, if we don't do well in those 5 games we're in real trouble.

P.S. there's no waiting for him to drop points, I want him out now. I thought I'd been very clear on that point.

He has to earn that accolade first. He needs to punt the likes of Iwobi, et al and inject some pace and creativity into the midfield, preferably with younger and more committed players, not other club's rejects, out for a last cushy payday
Be interesting to see who he appoints as captain. Wouldn't rule out Siggy.....unfortunately
He doesn't need to earn any accolade at this moment in time He has been appointed as manager of our football club and as such he deserves our support as Evertonians

With our fixtures, starting the season well is a minimum requirement. Southampton, Leeds, Brighton, Burnley, Villa. That's a gift of a start, if we don't do well in those 5 games we're in real trouble.

P.S. there's no waiting for him to drop points, I want him out now. I thought I'd been very clear on that point.

The worry for me is we are 4 weeks away from the first game and we have no signings and will be without Richarlison leaving just DCL capable of getting a goal.

Its why for me he gets a free pass the first few games unless the club gets players in ASAP.

He doesn't need to earn any accolade at this moment in time He has been appointed as manager of our football club and as such he deserves our support as Evertonians
100% mate joke of a decision but was a bold one which may or may not work out. What the fans need to do is trust the board and support whoever comes in manager or player. “Fans” saying they want him out before a balls even been kicked need to stay away from the ground and not renew season tickets if that’s how strongly you feel about the appointment if not shut up and support the team.

I just find it odd that @davek is invoking Moyes as a positive parallel with Benitez in any context when Dave hated Moyes with open and persistent venom. In fact, he would routinely chastise any poster who pointed out that a squad identity was a positive of Moyes' reign saying it was embarrassing and was used too frequently as cover for dull, conservative, unimaginative football. It's apparently fine now, however, as cover for the appointment of a divisive and unpopular manager.
This is 100% without context.

I've no idea if you can get posts from here as far back as 2008/09 - but if you can my posts on Moyes would be overwhelmingly positive. He did a great job on meagre resources and I backed him completely. Even the dour football was tolerated as he had us punching above our weight.

It was only post-2009 after the cup final defeat against Chelsea that I started to part ways with Moyes. He agreed to oversee the fire-sale of his own squad because Kenwright wouldn't find a buyer with cash to back us. He went all in with Kenwright and he was treading water he until he left - having a go at fans for for calling out the whole sorry running down of the club just so Kenwright could keep his train set.

Of course, we now know what a get he was even before he left - keeping things going here until SAF retired so he could jump ship.

None of that undermines my parallel with Benitez and what he needs to do here.

Tbh mate I will be one of the loudest boo'ers if it does go pear-shaped, Just lost the will to be constantly moaning about something none of us mortals can do anything about. I want any manager to succeed at our club, I want us to win things. If that manager turns out to be Benny... Great !! If he is found out as being just another looser in what's becoming an ever increasing list... He will be ousted. Saying all that though, I will give him a season to settle in first, same as I have for every single one of the others... Even Fat Sam, I didn't care about the gravy swilling or the negative play. He did about as well as Carlo in truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.