Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another article in the Athletic, talking to former players about his management style.

Couldn't get anyone more opposite of Ancelotti.

It might be exactly what's needed, as it's clear anybody without 100% attitude will be out of the picture until they adjust their mindset.
The Athletic's Everton reporters were bending over backwards to defend Ancelotti's previously questioned training methods and against accusations of nepotism with his backroom selections while he was manager of Everton.

Now they're painting a more critical picture of the departed man and looking for nothing but positives regarding Benitez and painting any criticism as OTT delusion from unreasonable fans. They're constantly trying to ingratiate themselves with the club for access and any other crumbs that may get brushed off the table.

The Athletic's Everton reporters were bending over backwards to defend Ancelotti's previously questioned training methods and against accusations of nepotism with his backroom selections while he was manager of Everton.

Now they're painting a more critical picture of the departed man and looking for nothing but positives regarding Benitez and painting any criticism as OTT delusion from unreasonable fans. They're constantly trying to ingratiate themselves with the club for access and any other crumbs that may get brushed off the table.
Can't argue with that, but you can't really blame them.

The Club has plugged a lot of leaks so any in for exclusives should be chased. (I don't think it will happen by the way) It seems every 'scoop' papers print is agent fed rather than club.

Can't argue with that, but you can't really blame them.

The Club has plugged a lot of leaks so any in for exclusives should be chased. (I don't think it will happen by the way) It seems every 'scoop' papers print is agent fed rather than club.
You'd hope a paid for subscription model that markets itself as above clickbait exclusives and gives their journalists the resources to actually be journalists would dig a little deeper than becoming a club PR arm though.

I'd prefer to read a more balanced piece about stuff that has happened than exclusives on future events where being first to the story is more important than the actual story and condescending opinion pieces on why not liking your local rivals is childish.

You'd hope a paid for subscription model that markets itself as above clickbait exclusives and gives their journalists the resources to actually be journalists would dig a little deeper than becoming a club PR arm though.

I'd prefer to read a more balanced piece about stuff that has happened than exclusives on future events where being first to the story is more important than the actual story and condescending opinion pieces on why not liking your local rivals is childish.
Again, good points.

I think they are better at the analysis than most, but they also have a reader base who demand 'filler' articles for the subscription fee.

I must be one of the very few who pays full price. I forgot to cancel a few months ago, everyone else seems to pay about half of what I fork out (n)

I think they are better at the analysis than most, but they also have a reader base who demand 'filler' articles for the subscription fee.
There are some very good articles, but as you say it's balanced with the filler - what I see as a quota of articles for each team. It's not an easy task.

However like we mentioned in another thread, O'Keeffe, who I generally respect, will not want to be too critical and be at risk of having the ties severed.

Neither they nor anyone else have offered any real analysis of Ancelotti's departure. Some talk that he wasn't happy with the setup and his resignation was in the mix as soon as an opportunity arose.

I imagine The Athletic don't know either way. They have helped push a positive narrative of Benitez but I didn't know he was so obsessional and a workaholic. Benitez is not a popular choice but you can't say that those traits aren't qualities we need in a manager, regardless of who it is.

It's about a bit of balance really. Ancelotti is not the god-like, smiling, everyone's favourite uncle figure he is portrayed as. I don't believe Benitez is the devil incarnate either.

Another article in the Athletic, talking to former players about his management style.

It might be exactly what's needed, as it's clear anybody without 100% attitude will be out of the picture until they adjust their mindset.
Despite the Athletic being sycophantic towards whoever is in charge, they do write some great pieces which tell me things I didn’t know before.

Benitez sounds robotic and unwavering in his methods, with no pandering to anybody. I think this group probably needs that. We know the squad needs a big shake up but the players who think they’re too big for us and don’t put the effort in ie Richarlison will either have to put up or ship out. I like that.

Imagine Iwobi pulling the same crap he tried with Carlo. It sounds like Benitez will just stare at him, coldly point out pre-prepared data that proves he’s talking absolute wham and advise him to find another club.

Neither they nor anyone else have offered any real analysis of Ancelotti's departure. Some talk that he wasn't happy with the setup and his resignation was in the mix as soon as an opportunity arose.

I imagine The Athletic don't know either way. They have helped push a positive narrative of Benitez but I didn't know he was so obsessional and a workaholic. Benitez is not a popular choice but you can't say that those traits aren't qualities we need in a manager, regardless of who it is.

It's about a bit of balance really. Ancelotti is not the god-like, smiling, everyone's favourite uncle figure he is portrayed as. I don't believe Benitez is the devil incarnate either.

I subscribe to the Athletic and I like the Athletic. One criticism I would make though is that it stills seems to structure articles as if they would be constrains for a newspaper. It's better than a lot of the current output from newspapers (generated for clicks) and probably similar to where newspapers where 20 years ago or wherever. Given it's an online platform though, I think some deeper digs, longer reads to go alongside that output would be a real positive

Even if you get less of them, perhaps consider the implications of why Ancelotti left? With Benitez they could easily do a deep dig around why he was appointed, his strengths and weaknesses and how he fits with the current style.

I'd like to see a real challenges for Benitez in the squad assessment too- beyond the usual- clear he deadwood, sign young players etc etc.

I think there's a real space for that sort of journalism and would probably fill a gap in the market.

That might just be me though, and people may like the current format.

I think it can go 2 ways that though. Either they get on board, or (as we have seen with other managers) they just throw the towel in. They will know with Benitez especially, that they will outlast him if it goes wrong.

Koeman tried something similar and it went badly wrong. So he has to be careful with this approach.

Despite the Athletic being sycophantic towards whoever is in charge, they do write some great pieces which tell me things I didn’t know before.

Benitez sounds robotic and unwavering in his methods, with no pandering to anybody. I think this group probably needs that. We know the squad needs a big shake up but the players who think they’re too big for us and don’t put the effort in ie Richarlison will either have to put up or ship out. I like that.

Imagine Iwobi pulling the same crap he tried with Carlo. It sounds like Benitez will just stare at him, coldly point out pre-prepared data that proves he’s talking absolute wham and advise him to find another club.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but hasn't Richarlison already "pulled rank" on Benitez already? RE: the Olympics debacle.

Again, good points.

I must be one of the very few who pays full price. I forgot to cancel a few months ago, everyone else seems to pay about half of what I fork out (n)

Done exactly the same 2 years on the bounce. I do enjoy a lot of their stuff over the course of a season so it's not money down the drain.

Their reluctance to ask hard questions about Benitez has irked though. Gives the impression that they want to get on the right side of a notoriously prickly character at the expense of balance. They'll mention alleged shortcomings in one sentence and then dedicate 3 paragraphs to refuting them as if he's never failed anywhere.

Winning the Europa League with a squad that had the quality throughout to win the Champions League the year before (despite the combined mismanagement of Villas-Boas and Di Matteo) has been redefined an amazing achievement.

Status
Not open for further replies.