Rafael and the small club comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest issue I have with Benitez is the fact that negative managers have been struggling to compete for years now. There is a dearth of quality defenders in football at the moment, which is why having a go is the new park the bus for promoted teams in the Premier League.

Even Simeone is having difficulty selling his vision to players now, while Mourinho is having to rethink his approach and prove himself again at a lesser club on the back of what happened at United.

This would be yet another example of Everton being five-plus years behind the curve if it were to happen.

The fact he made the "small club" jibe in the first place indicates just how poor his judgement is.

Th RS may have effectively operated in a different league these past few decades but that could be levelled at clubs like Spurs, Newcastle etc. His idiot logic means if you disregard tradition and fan base you can call everyone else a small club and along the way create further mayhem betwixt the clans on merseyside. He is a classless vastly overrated clown.

Should never be considered for anything but a kick up the hole here

Just dont like him. He always has a snidey smirk on his face in each interview. His "facts" rant meant he was rattled by SAF. Moyes rattled him into making that comment.

I mentioned Mourinho before you first quoted me and did so because he's another top manager that some of our fans laughably dismissed a few mouths back just like they're doing now with Benitez and Emery.

Benitez's most recent work was the Newcastle rebuilding job when he took them straight back up after relegation (which is far from easy as many clubs and managers like Steve Bruce and Aston Villa can testify) and built them back to a decent side.

Prior to that he got sacked at Real Madrid for being third in the table. I could live with a similar horrible fate happening to Everton personally.

Prior to that he won the cup in Italy with Napoli.

Prior to that he won the Europa league at Chelsea.

Its laughable to call him a proven winner, despite the fact that he's won trophies at almost every single club he's ever managed. Ok mate........

Who're these better appointments we could make? Thats a real question mate. I'm honestly curious as to who you think that we could attract that has a better record then either Emery or Benitez right now.
He took Newcastle back up after HE managed them to relegation though! He took over with them one point from safety with a game in hand, and they were relegated 2 points from safety. He could have kept them but didn't. He got them back up and consolidated. Great. As I said, i'm not saying he's a useless manager, not by a long shot, just that he isn't necessarily this amazing stand out candidate like some are suggesting. He's done what Eddie Howe and Chris Hughton have done over the last couple of years basically, and yet some people talk about as if he's performed miracles.

He's managed 12 teams and won trophies with 5, so 'almost every single club' is a slight exaggeration. Mourinho has won trophies at literally every club he could have done so, and has won 20 major trophies as opposed to 7. They are not even close to being in the same league.

You're being totally disingenuous with the other stuff. Being 3rd with Real Madrid is a big deal, it's not like being 3rd with us. They've only finished outside the top 2 10 times in the last 40 years, and in 5 of those years they won the Champions League to make up for it. He won a cup with Napoli, again that's good, i'm not knocking it. He took over a Napoli side that had just finished 2nd in the league, took them to 3rd and 5th place finishes, left, and they finished 2nd again. Interesting that isn't it?

I'm not saying there are people with a better record than Benitez that we could get, just that there may be better appointments. There's a difference.

The biggest issue I have with Benitez is the fact that negative managers have been struggling to compete for years now. There is a dearth of quality defenders in football at the moment, which is why having a go is the new park the bus for promoted teams in the Premier League.

Even Simeone is having difficulty selling his vision to players now, while Mourinho is having to rethink his approach and prove himself again at a lesser club on the back of what happened at United.

This would be yet another example of Everton being five-plus years behind the curve if it were to happen.
You're not far wrong here. If we get him I would back him like any Everton Manager, if we don't he's still a RS FSW

Seemed like a "come and get me" plea that interview. Why did he mention the "small club" comment. To get some fans onside?.

Interesting that John Parrot who is Duncs brother in law only mentioned Rafael when asked about who he may like as the next manager. But said he may have a 20 million get out clause.

He hasn't won a league title for 16 years, despite managing a number of clubs in a position to challenge for them.

Were Liverpool, Napoli, Chelsea or Newcastle in a good position to win a league title when he joined them?

Liverpool had scraped 4th on the last day of the season and finished a whopping 30 points behind the leaders. Chelsea were outside the top 4 when he joined them part way through the season, he won the Europa League and finished 3rd.

He spent 4 months at Inter Milan and 6 months at Madrid, not enough time to win a league title even if he'd managed it there. With both, he was always fighting a losing battle.

Like who? Who do you think we could get that would be a better appointment?
Honestly, it's hard to say. I think we need a personality though, and somebody with ideas that we can get behind as fans. The club has been badly fractured over recent years, there's a growing disconnect from the fan base and we need to address that before it's too late. Moving into a shiny new stadium will be no use if fans have already given up the ghost, and it's happening. We need our own version of Klopp, or Moyes when he first came. Someone that everyone buys into and who seems to 'get' us (even if it's an act). I feel Benitez would be a really bad appointment for that reason, because a large percentage of fans would be suspicious of him from the outset, and would get on his back very quickly if things weren't going well, which is the last thing we need. Emery too, to a much lesser extent.

They also have 2 years of mid table stability in the Premier League and a solid backbone of a team which was created and drilled in to them by Rafael. Bruce has openly admitted that what he was doing was failing at the start of the season as the squad was too well drilled in to Rafael's system, so he's had to use Rafas system and tweak it to his style.

How are Bruce's signings working out? Joelinton who Rafael wouldn't sanction a move for and said he's not even worth 20m, let alone 40m,which is part of the reason why Rafael wouldn't sign the new deal which was offered to him. Who did Rafael want again, was it Tammy Abraham by any chance, how's he working out?

...why are you calling him Rafael?

I don't really care about Bruce but Benitez would be an incredibly dumb move on our part if we were to get him. He ticks none of the boxes we need.

It really isn't a mainstream opinion to think that Benitez, Mourinho and Emery are all beneath Everton and aren't good managers.

Don't be fooled by a vocal minority on the internet. In real life anyone with a brain would agree that all three of them are obviously very good managers who're all miles better then anyone we've had for decades.
I just don’t think he is all that couldn’t give a toss if he is a kopite.
Relegated Newcastle first go with 10 games to spare only one point in the drop zone.
Barely made it up on the first go with a championship record spend.
couple of decent finishes with a [Poor language removed] squadmid 40’s points inflated placings due to crap down the bottom.
Bruce is doing a similar job and was a very unpopular appointment with a near expectation of relegation.

sacked at inter for being terrible post treble, won a tin pot in Italy with a Napoli team that was particularly strong. Sacked at real for being crap and won the EL with Chelsea.

done nothing noteworthy for seasons his Newcastle days prove it

Status
Not open for further replies.