Proposed changes to the Premier league

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would basically be the Champions League with closed membership. The clubs wouldn't leave their domestic leagues.

Garenteed revenue without risk of dropping out if they have a terrible season.

If its just seen as a replacement for the Champions League the SKY 6 and FIFA wont have a leg to stand on. The Premier League, The FA will refuse to allow any of their teams into it and UEFA will legally challenge it to the point where it would be impossible for it to go ahead.

I can see UEFA digging their heels in over this.
No way they let FIFA control a European super league.
It would cause massive damage to national leagues, including Englands.
I doubt they'd let players play in this and in UEFA competitions like the European cup. (international tournament not CL)
There's no way they sacrifice the CL for this.

I think they're underestimating how many dead rubbers that people won't be interested in watching are going to be a part of a format like this. Imagine Crystal Palace playing Burnley in March but their is no way either can possibly go down. But instead of Palace and Burnley it is actually Spurs and Milan.

They want to rival UEFA’s champions league.

This might be the vehicle to do it.
I get the feeling it will end up with the fa threatening to deny them a club license. You can't have a league with no relegation/promotion.

And why is anyone doing deals with utd? They aren't even relevant in English football anymore.

It would basically be the Champions League with closed membership. The clubs wouldn't leave their domestic leagues.

Garenteed revenue without risk of dropping out if they have a terrible season.

Exactly, what makes this feel like there is a bit more depth in it. Spanish media reporting at the exact same time that their "big three" in the same advanced discussions

I get the feeling it will end up with the fa threatening to deny them a club license. You can't have a league with no relegation/promotion.

And why is anyone doing deals with utd? They aren't even relevant in English football anymore.
Because it's all about money... utd have one of the biggest revenues and number of fans around the world, if they aren't involved investors won't get as much money

Exactly, what makes this feel like there is a bit more depth in it. Spanish media reporting at the exact same time that their "big three" in the same advanced discussions

There is definitely a desire for it from top teams. That doesn't mean it happens though. There will be enormous legal challenge you feel, and also whether UEFA sign it off. Also national associations may well turn aroud and not agree it.

One scenario may be that 14 teams vote against participation in it (which if it's closed shop will be fairly easy to get through) and then you have an enorously difficult scenario, as the league's official position woud be participation would not be allowed to competitions that are not open to all teams in the league equally. Whether all 6 PL teams, or any, of them would be prepared to risk leaving the PL to participate would be the first question? Whether the PL would penalise them would be another (and in all likelihood penalty would be being removed).

That tends to be the nuanced debate about things when it's happened in other sports, notably cricket. Domestic leagues tend to bar the rebel "super leagues".

One compromise option may be, that qualification is decided on a 3 year weighted average. This tilts it heavily towards the top teams, but has enough sheen to potentially get past teams. Maybe people could live with that? No idea really.

Thats before you get onto the European court, which as I've daid previously (and been validated in saying) does not take anti-competition, monopolisations of industries very favurably.

If those dickheads leave it will leave a gap for the other teams to grow into, so sounds good enough to me! When their "European Super League" becomes a joke, we'll be winning the actual competitive league.

The other thing is if they don't put a salary cap on the league it'll still tier off into the teams with unlimited money, the likes of City, Chelsea, United and the clasico sides, and the rest of the rich but not nearly as rich as that.

There is definitely a desire for it from top teams. That doesn't mean it happens though. There will be enormous legal challenge you feel, and also whether UEFA sign it off. Also national associations may well turn aroud and not agree it.

One scenario may be that 14 teams vote against participation in it (which if it's closed shop will be fairly easy to get through) and then you have an enorously difficult scenario, as the league's official position woud be participation would not be allowed to competitions that are not open to all teams in the league equally. Whether all 6 PL teams, or any, of them would be prepared to risk leaving the PL to participate would be the first question? Whether the PL would penalise them would be another (and in all likelihood penalty would be being removed).

That tends to be the nuanced debate about things when it's happened in other sports, notably cricket. Domestic leagues tend to bar the rebel "super leagues".

One compromise option may be, that qualification is decided on a 3 year weighted average. This tilts it heavily towards the top teams, but has enough sheen to potentially get past teams. Maybe people could live with that? No idea really.

Thats before you get onto the European court, which as I've daid previously (and been validated in saying) does not take anti-competition, monopolisations of industries very favurably.

as always catcher - really balanced and fair & I am 100% with your thoughts that it has very very little chance of happening.

question I would have though is

1) would there be any desire from the PL (6 or 14) to stop this ? It means more money in the league & the trickle down effect to transfers along with more European spots potentially.
2) Would the PL have any right to VETO this & what would be that mechanic (I have no idea)
3) Same Q to UEFA, when restart has the hot topic, the only stick UEFA seemed to have was complete leagues to compete in CL / Europa next season. That mechanic also goine.

The only blocker to it all that I can think off would be if the FA's could block at some level

as always catcher - really balanced and fair & I am 100% with your thoughts that it has very very little chance of happening.

question I would have though is

1) would there be any desire from the PL (6 or 14) to stop this ? It means more money in the league & the trickle down effect to transfers along with more European spots potentially.
2) Would the PL have any right to VETO this & what would be that mechanic (I have no idea)
3) Same Q to UEFA, when restart has the hot topic, the only stick UEFA seemed to have was complete leagues to compete in CL / Europa next season. That mechanic also goine.

The only blocker to it all that I can think off would be if the FA's could block at some level

Thanks mate you too.

For the record I do not think there's very little chance of it happening. I am just waiting for some details of what it looks like, and there are lots of outcomes available. On the questions.

1) If 5 teams are going, you'd imagine the 6th, plus Leicester, Everton, West Ham, Southampton, Wolves, Newcastle etc would be against it as less European opportunities. You'd imagine most teams would be, as it kills any hopes they have to play in Europe (working on the basis it replaces CL/EL which it may not).

2) The PL would not be able to veto it. However the PL could take a position that membership of this league is incompatible with playing in the PL. That could happen and makes some sense. Liverpool/United may just (as Rick Parry says) play in the footbal league, and use it as a B team. All depends on numbers I suppose.

3) How do you mean about point 3 mate, not sure what you are getting at? If you can expalin I'll try to respond.

The FA could block, but realistically if teams want to go, they will go. They could stop them playing in the PL or FA Cup again.

It's very hard to predict, as you are talking about 3D chess, between multiple agencies here.

Status
Not open for further replies.