Potential cancellation of games - Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
EFL are going ahead with games and note that they're following government advice.

Again, nothing from the Prem though I suspect they may be waiting for the results of the Leicester tests which are scheduled to comeback tomorrow.

News said they weren't gonna test the players.

You have to think of the ramifications though if we close it down. (No thoughts either way on this. I have no idea if stopping games helps or not. Dont think anybody really does)
When do we catch up the games? Summer? What about the start of the new season?.
If we end now or in a few weeks when Liverpool are crowned champs, what do we do with relegation and champions league spots with games still to play?What about promotions? And so on. Court cases galore I would think? I dont think this is going away anytime soon.

Surely if you close it all down for say 2 weeks. With the 14 day innicualtion period, we could just be in the same situation in a few weeks. Start everything back up and bang, those that have the infection at that time could infecting others.

It is not an easy answer, and I dont think there is a right answer either way. Short of locking everybody in there house for the next few months across the whole world.

The problem with playing in the Summer means there wont be a break between the seasons. Most pre seasons begin in July along with all the relevant Qualifies for CL and Europa.
Additionally they can't start the season later because the Euros will be on.
Guessing that mid season break wasnt the great idea every one thought it was!!!
The logical response has to be season cancellation.

News said they weren't gonna test the players.

Sorry, got the wires crossed. Telegraph said another club was testing for results due tomorrow.

F5DE8B96-E6A2-4DE2-BCA8-25645C7754B7.jpeg

The Tyrolean state government just announced that all ski resorts will close at end of business on Sunday and all accommodation on Monday, which if you have any idea how economically important tourism is to the region and what place skiing has in the Tyrol gives an idea of how seriously it is being treated here...

Understandable.

But for some reason the government have left it in the hands of the FA to make the decision here.

It’s pretty clear now that the government aren’t just being slow or not responding, they’re taking a different approach. We can only really say whether that’s a good thing or not once we see how the whole thing pans out I suppose.

Well it's what they've said they're doing just today.

Flu season, despite what Dave said, isn't over yet. They reckon (which I think seems strange) that the peak is gonna hit here in early May.

I don't really know what more they can do. Shut schools – fine, but if the modelling is correct and May is the peak then you're looking at nearly two months of schools being shut. What do parents do? Not everyone can work from home. And this mental assertion (by the gov) that people are just able to put their lives on hold - especially with kids - is ludicrous.

The banning of sporting events and public events should go ahead but I don't really see why the Premier League - for example - can't have common sense and act on their own on this.
I was just getting at the last bit really, school and work are essential, any reason to gather en masse just isn't.

Possibly not, but the Premier league is different....

La liga is between Barca and Real, Juve are top of Seria A, with lazio challenging...nothing there is out of the ordinary or gonna change the product, its the same s**t every season..

Liverpool finally winning the Prem league is a machine to print money...everyone only interested in the Premier league as a business want Liverpool to win the league... It's a huge deal....
So for that reason, money, the Premier league will carry on until they lift the trophy
The only thing that will stop them is if a Liverpool player gets it

27 new cases in Ireland
It’s spiralling here as it did in China and Italy
We have only one death and we have gone into semi lockdown
I guess we don’t wash our hands enough

Our health system is going to disintegrate once this blows up. Thoughts of it are frightening.

I detest humans so I am completely okay with this 2m gap.

Perhaps that could be the rule, first person to get to their seat gets to watch the match then the four people either side have to leave, as do 8 people in the rows behind and in front and then 6 or so in the next rows and maybe even 4/5 in the rows above and below those.

Job done and the games can continue.

72nt.gif

You have to think of the ramifications though if we close it down. (No thoughts either way on this. I have no idea if stopping games helps or not. Dont think anybody really does)
When do we catch up the games? Summer? What about the start of the new season?.
If we end now or in a few weeks when Liverpool are crowned champs, what do we do with relegation and champions league spots with games still to play?What about promotions? And so on. Court cases galore I would think? I dont think this is going away anytime soon.

Surely if you close it all down for say 2 weeks. With the 14 day innicualtion period, we could just be in the same situation in a few weeks. Start everything back up and bang, those that have the infection at that time could infecting others.

It is not an easy answer, and I dont think there is a right answer either way. Short of locking everybody in there house for the next few months across the whole world.

On the football side I imagine the idea is to get through this weekend and see where we get to - international break plus FA Cup (which you could scrap to be fair).

Still think behind closed doors is best. Home advantage etc who really cares - get the games played if needed and the players are happy to. But the FA just need to take responsibility and exercise common sense in the absence of government action.

Spending 15 minutes within 2m (6ft) of someone with the virus, or having face-to-face contact, is judged as close contact and a significant risk.

...Unless you are at a stadium in the UK of course, then it is just dandy. :Blink:

Indoor gigs carrying on is even more baffling to me - the standing areas are sweaty, close quarters and everyone singing along / shouting. Surely high chance of transmission there.

Status
Not open for further replies.