Potential cancellation of games - Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I can see there is no reliable figure for mortality. We can see how many of detected cases have died, but some of the cases might still die, causing the figure to rise. There will be variations from country to country, depending on the health facilities, while doctors wil be learning more about disease management as time goes by, so previous death rates will reduce. The biggest factor, however, is likely to be the number of unreported cases because symptoms are very mild, meaning we have a reasonable figure for deaths, but none for the total number of cases.

I know it's annoying to just not know about something so important, but I think that's just the way it is.

I agree that the final/accurate number won’t be known for a long time, or maybe never.
But everyone who is even close to being an expert in such fields do say that mortality rate is significantly higher than flu. How much? Who knows. It is far from “just the flu” though.

Thousands of people were flying in and out of the Wuhan area of China before it was even spotted. It could never have been totally contained in reality.

You're probably right on that score most definitely, still think they could have done more and at least have told the truth.

To me its simple, just stop anyone in the world travelling outside the country they are currently in for a few weeks or a month. Contain it and move on. The hopping between countries is the issue here.

On a side note, I actually heard from a contact at Finch Farm yesterday, that there will be an announcement early next week about UK football and potential to play a couple of weeks behind closed doors. This is genuine information, lead by the government

Honest to god, the worlds gone mad. People stock piling on toilet rolls, jesus, just buy loads of socks if you run out

Cancelling live football and playing it behind doors would be an effective message hammered home to the country's population to keep out of as many large gatherings as possible.

We have a government not prepated to make the hard decisions.

In all honesty football should cease now and then picked up again in August.

Either do that and get behind it, or some really do believe in that weird cult leader Shankly and his words about football being more important than life.

Close the season down. Stop all games. How 'kin difficult is it to make that decision under these circumstances?

"The average number of deaths in England for the last five seasons, 2014/15 to 2018/19, was 17,000 deaths annually. "This ranged from 1,692 deaths last season, 2018/19, to 28,330 deaths in 2014/15."

Cancelling live football and playing it behind doors would be an effective message hammered home to the country's population to keep out of as many large gatherings as possible.

Either do that and get behind it, or some really do believe in that weird cult leader Shankly and his words about football being more important than life.

Close the season down. Stop all games. How 'kin difficult is it to make that decision under these circumstances?

STOP ALL GAMES - all in favour say aye !
and Esteemed @davek , representing GOT taking to parliament our unbiased mitigation in the interests of the public !

Football, rugby, all outdoor mass gathering sports and indoor sports.
TV can still show games
Review The Euros and Olympics in May.
Edit; it'll probably be a case of too little too late

They tell how many get it. Be nice to know how many survived it.
The rate in china has slowed a lot in the last week alone. If you ban sporting events do when then ban buses and trains

If it gets played behind closed doors, the government should suspend the rule around not televising 3pm games and then never bring it back.

I have heard all the reasons for years that it makes people go to lower league teams but I just don’t buy it. In a modern world, 90% of the people inclined to watch Everton will find a way to do so instead of going watching Tranmere or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.