Potential cancellation of games - Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This matter is extremely serious especially if you are old with particular underlying cpnditions. In my case I qualify on four of the headings given whilst my wife is undergoing chemo.
It's estimated that possibly as many as 10% of us qualifiers will pop are clogs. Believe it or not I don't want to die yet I live in a City that sees fit to allow many thousands of visitors in from a highly contaminated zone. How long will it take for this killer to sweep across our city, based on contagions investigated so far it's a matter of days.
Being a selfish old cuss I would love for both tonight's and Monday's game to be cancelled but without doubt tonights will go ahead. The fact that many peoples lives are at stake if the press is to be believed can anyone tell me why the completion of these rubbers has been placed above the lives of so many.

It’s utterly bonkers, we read that Madrid is apparently in lockdown as Coronavirus cases multiply! So much in lockdown that by all accounts 3000 of them could be across Stanley Park tonight. How the flippin’ heck did they get out and why the hell are they allowed in?
Because no country is closing their borders. Until that happens, people can travel freely to and from wherever they want. I believe the WHO has repeatedly stated that closing borders will make no difference at this point.

This matter is extremely serious especially if you are old with particular underlying cpnditions. In my case I qualify on four of the headings given whilst my wife is undergoing chemo.
It's estimated that possibly as many as 10% of us qualifiers will pop are clogs. Believe it or not I don't want to die yet I live in a City that sees fit to allow many thousands of visitors in from a highly contaminated zone. How long will it take for this killer to sweep across our city, based on contagions investigated so far it's a matter of days.
Being a selfish old cuss I would love for both tonight's and Monday's game to be cancelled but without doubt tonights will go ahead. The fact that many peoples lives are at stake if the press is to be believed can anyone tell me why the completion of these rubbers has been placed above the lives of so many.
My parents are both in their 90s and rely on mainly my sister for their needs. Whilst I do not consider myself old at 58 cough cough, i do visit them a couple of times a week, and obviously do not want to pass it to them. It is very serious for a lot of us

Your first two sentences seemed to think everyone was getting a little het up over not much. Granted you then went on to qualify that.......

I was not telling people to not to get het up. Like I said if you are elderly and/or have a chronic condition it will affect you more than others. I'm over 60 myself but haven't had any condition yet. Someone quoted 6% death rate in italy to me. Don't know yet what it equates too. Is it 6% of people who are elderly and have a chronic condition does it mean 94% of the elderly survive. All I said was there seems to be a bit of a panic fueled for me by the press and TV news when it seems that for the majority of people they suffer little or no symptoms and most of the people who get it recover. That is not to say people who are in the group that is most at risk will be very worried.

Because no country is closing their borders. Until that happens, people can travel freely to and from wherever they want. I believe the WHO has repeatedly stated that closing borders will make no difference at this point.

You seem o be posting here without even thinking about it.

Hungary alone have closed their borders to nationals are various countries in the last hour despite having no deaths whatsoever and only a very small number of cases (about 10 I think).

Spain have refused to allow Roma's plane to land as they're not allowing Italians in.

It would be very easy for us to say no Spanish allowed in until further notice.

You seem o be posting here without even thinking about it.

Hungary alone have closed their borders to nationals are various countries in the last hour despite having no deaths whatsoever and only a very small number of cases (about 10 I think).

Spain have refused to allow Roma's plane to land as they're not allowing Italians in.

It would be very easy for us to say no Spanish allowed in until further notice.
It's not me that's not thinking mate.

None of the examples you've given are of countries closing their borders. Spain aren't 'not allowing Italians in' they're not allowing planes out of Italy to land. There's a pretty big difference between the two.

You may also note that I didn't say closing the borders was impossible or even not a good idea, just that nobody's done it yet. It was, you see, an answer to a specific question.

I don't think that anyone now doesn't accept that the virus is going to spread through the population until it runs out of people to infect - I think this is between 60% and 80% of the polulation. As a couple of particular vulnerability to the virus, I thing there are two things that you need to think about:

Firstly, not being infected at all. As a society and individuals we should try to insure that the 60-80% segment who don't get infected is disproportionately packed with the vulnerable. The advice about hand washing, avoiding visits from sick people, and keeping home as much as possible should help with this.

The second thing to think about is doing as well as possible if you do get infected. This could be where closing grounds etc might be significant. If 80% of people get the illness tomorrow, the NHS wil be swamped, and individuals will not get the best possible treatment. If 80% get ill over 3 months or so, then each individual who becomes seriously ill is bound to get much better treatment, and hence stand more chance of survival. IF playing games behind closed doors will contribute significantly to delaying the spread, then it makes sense to take this step.

It’s the Tories so there is a good chance money is involved in their reasoning

You were doing so well to get a bit of sympathy until 'if the press are to believed'
None of this would even be an issue if it wasn't for the over hyping sensationalist press.
Dealing with an outbreak of coronavirus should be very similar to dealing with terrorism. It's something we're mildly aware of but all the action by the government goes on behind the scenes without us ever knowing.
All the press are reporting on is 50 total cases today, 100 total cases today, 500 total cases today without ever mentioning 90% of those cases were very minor and the people have been isolated and are totally fine now.

So in summary

Germany games behind closed doors
Italian games postponed for weeks
Danish league postponed
Spanish games behind closed doors
Roma cant play Sevilla tonight
Wolves being forced to play Olympiakos whose owner has coronavirus
Getafe wont travel to Italy so thats off
Hamburg player has coronavirus.

England - carry on as normal.

Make NO MISTAKE: this match would not go ahead if it involved a London club. Absolutley no way shape or form would those in charge allow these away fans* from an infected area to turn up in their thousands and enter the local bars, shops and stadiums.

*I have no malice whatsoever towards these Atletico fans. Fans are fans. They'll follow their team. But they should never have been allowed to travel - they cant in Spain.

Make NO MISTAKE: this match would not go ahead if it involved a London club. Absolutley no way shape or form would those in charge allow these away fans* from an infected area to turn up in their thousands and enter the local bars, shops and stadiums.

*I have no malice whatsoever towards these Atletico fans. Fans are fans. They'll follow their team. But they should never have been allowed to travel - they cant in Spain.
Where is our Lord Mayor, ? not a peep.

Status
Not open for further replies.