Postponment of Premier League fixtures due to the death of Her Majesty the Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to think the rationale behind cancelling these games is the lack of police presence. Cricket and rugby can carry on as normal because their fans are civilized compared to the football fans, who are known for being violent.
Far more controversial its because of booing at jubilee celebrations be too much of a reality check... Anyways, do you get bored being edgy like?

Sports made the decision they thought was right in the circumstances. I dont think there's a wrong or right and they were going to get criticised whatever they decided. They couldn't win on this one

I just watched the start of the cricket and they handled the situation very well
The PL totally mis-read the room (fear of negative comment would be my guess) in hitting the stop button early.
Is there big backlash in the racing, cricket, rugby and golf world's? - No.

Yes with my footballer hat on this looks good for us. Pickford, Douc, Dominic Calvert-Lewin back with Mina not far away after the internationals break. Also realistically we would have lost to Arsenal and West Ham also would have been tough. Away at Saints winnable.

RIP
I don't imagine we would have lost any of them - especially not home to West Ham!

Last edited:
The PL totally mis-read the room (fear of negative comment would be my guess) in hitting the stop button early.
Is there big backlash in the racing, cricket, rugby and golf world's? - No.
I don't think it's a case of mis-reading the room, more certain fans of certain clubs who simply have an inability to stay silent for 60 secs. An example would be right now if you go on twitter 'scousers' is trending and it's the full LFC ultras of 'we are scouse not english brigade' giving it all 'If you are tory then don't support us' (they seem to forget who started their club) I always find it funny with the scouse not english thing, as when they want their dole money or to use the NHS they are english then, utter pond life.

If you cancel the football, do you cancel everything?
The golf at Wentworth, the test match, the rugby super League games etc etc. It makes no sense. Sure, weekend of the funeral, give everyone a weeks notice. Fine.
But to just shut everything down is a bit silly.
Have Friday, sure. But then crack on, and have nothing on the weekend of the funeral.
Any other professions being shut down for a bit?
Give these organisations time to make arrangements.

Saying that, I can easily see the league being shut down for a few weeks. Will be sommat along the lines of the national game supporting the national mourning.
Fantastic timing for us. Get over the injuries and bed in the new players in training.
A lot of sense said there.

Is this story for real?

Or is it a send up?

It is very hard to tell in this atmosphere of manufactured gruef.

Clouds shaped like the dead Queen at the moment she died, Met Office cancelling the weather etc.
Talking to bees is an 'official' folklore 'thing'...or maybe just the out door equivalent to sending a note to father christmas...you do it just in case.

Met with my mates, 2 RS fans and a Man U fan. All are of the opinion that the PL games should not have been called off and that is was an over reaction by the PL and a mistake.

I share the frustration that has ben exhibited. However I do feel that the games for Friday should have been postponed out of respect. But the games for Saturday and Sunday should not. Lest put this into perspective the fact that those games have been called off is down to the cowardice of the Football Authorities it is them that our anger should be directed to.

I don't think it's a case of mis-reading the room, more certain fans of certain clubs who simply have an inability to stay silent for 60 secs. An example would be right now if you go on twitter 'scousers' is trending and it's the full LFC ultras of 'we are scouse not english brigade' giving it all 'If you are tory then don't support us' (they seem to forget who started their club) I always find it funny with the scouse not english thing, as when they want their dole money or to use the NHS they are english then, utter pond life.
I suspect regardless of their views they are entitled to use the facilities of the state such as ‘dole’ and the NHS because they contribute to it like everyone else.

On the bright side it does mean that DCL may well be available for the next game even to come on as a sub, also gives more time to recover so could be one game that he will not miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.