Match Thread POSTPONED: Everton v Manchester City - Preview only

Status
Not open for further replies.
48 hours after the last game...
playing against one of the top teams in the league...
several of our key players out injured...

.....you couldn't have hand picked a more convenient game to be postponed.

People keep saying this and while it has merit, you also need to acknowledge that City come into it with the same time after their last game and would have had loads of players missing - hence them seeking the postponement.

The Premier League said clubs would be forced to play with academy players etc if they had a Covid outbreak.

Its just typical of the league winging it and not really having a clue.

There's no precedent for that though.

Newcastle haven't had to hand Villa the three points.

The PL made a rod for their own back and realised that when Newcastle had to postpone.

There's zero the clubs involved can do. A player or staff member could contract it by going to the shops. Imagine if it was us that it happened to? We'd be fuming if we had to forfeit and rightly so.

We needed the rest. I'm happy. I'm just gutted for fans who had tickets.

Sure there is - there's forfeit rules baked into the Premier League rulebook.

If City make the request to postpone and we refuse it, the Premier League has to act further or it reverts to standard forfeit rules.

It'd have been better that way too, as it'd have codified the rule. Nobody has a clue what constitutes a serious enough outbreak for a game to be postponed from what I can tell - it's being winged. So there's every possibility in the return fixture we ask for a suspension of the game and the Premier League refuses because we had one less positive test than City had, and we'd have no leg to stand on.

Man City are due to play Man Utd in the league cup semi on 6th Jan.

If they're rife with Covid, surely Man Utd will get the bye in that competition then? Like Spurs did with L.Orient?

So theoretically Everton could have been given a free pass to a league cup final? Everton that!

Here’s a scenario. We played City tonight, Doucoure/Iwobi/DCL/Godfrey pulls his hamstring on the back of playing 5 games in a row recently. DCL then tests positive for Covid meaning he misses the game against West Ham. We get battered by City and some of our players are absolutely spent. We’re then not feeling confident about the West Ham game at all.

or it’s postponed.

This could turn out to be very fortuitous for us, annoying as it is when you’ve got yourself in the mindset to watch the match tonight.

I'm not sure this is a bad thing. Our schedule was / is nuts. Not great for momentum and I really wasn't expecting anything beyond a draw out of this game but it does keep us fresher for upcoming games.

No issue with momentum, we play again in 4 days..

The only club this will annoy is liverpool, who have their Christmas games spaced out more than any other club...they play last on Wednesday, and then their last again on Monday (there's is the only game pushed out to monday for tv)...us (and city) having to play again today was ridiculous to begin with...

48 hours after the last game...
playing against one of the top teams in the league...
several of our key players out injured...

.....you couldn't have hand picked a more convenient game to be postponed.

This. Yes we could have won. If they showed up though it would have more than likely gone the same way as united in the cup. Rest up for West Ham and play them down the line.

Sure there is - there's forfeit rules baked into the Premier League rulebook.

If City make the request to postpone and we refuse it, the Premier League has to act further or it reverts to standard forfeit rules.

It'd have been better that way too, as it'd have codified the rule. Nobody has a clue what constitutes a serious enough outbreak for a game to be postponed from what I can tell - it's being winged. So there's every possibility in the return fixture we ask for a suspension of the game and the Premier League refuses because we had one less positive test than City had, and we'd have no leg to stand on.
Well I certainly hope we didn't refuse it. We're not Kopites.

I’m not surprised Kyle Walker has got it. He broke Covid rules a few months ago.

I hope he’s ok but find it hard to have sympathy for bell ends

Status
Not open for further replies.