Possession heavy football will never work at Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillBrasky

Player Valuation: £8m
We're not Man City, Barcelona, Ajax, PSG or whatever top domestic club you want to name. And because of that we will never succeed playing possession heavy football. We will never have the best players, nor the depth needed to succeed in playing that way.

We can however succeed playing progressive pressing and counter attacking football. Such as the Red Bull teams do. We could also do well playing in the style of the Klopp's teams, which is why is killed me when the other lot signed him.

Thoughts? I know this has been mentioned on other threads, but I'd like to make this one solely about the style of football we need to play to succeed.

It's natural, now to compare our football to other teams especially the RS (our City rival more so than footballing rival) since their football is clearly successful, but having said that we don't have the calibre of players they have. Another bigger issue is our clear lack of leaders or any type of courage on the pitch. I wouldn't trust any of the current lids with a pair of scissors, never mind our footballing position.

We're not Man City, Barcelona, Ajax, PSG or whatever top domestic club you want to name. And because of that we will never succeed playing possession heavy football. We will never have the best players, nor the depth needed to succeed in playing that way.

We can however succeed playing progressive pressing and counter attacking football. Such as the Red Bull teams do. We could also do well playing in the style of the Klopp's teams, which is why is killed me when the other lot signed him.

Thoughts? I know this has been mentioned on other threads, but I'd like to make this one solely about the style of football we need to play to succeed.

We do play pressing football.

We have the highest pressing stats in the league.

Stats don't win games fatty

Its an interesting point. I kind of agree with you with somewhat. But yet feel its an area we could progress and evolve into for relative success. For example we beat almost all the top sides last season with a style of play and philosophy, where we are remedial is breaking down blanket defenses by less light clubs. That is a skill and development piece in itself in a cycle that most successful teams have had to over come. Im currently more confident and comfortable playing fixtures against the top six then i am an away game Burnley or Sheff Utd.

Not every team is going to come and attack and you only counter if the opposition do that and commit bodies.

An unknown fact about this photo is that it is Alan Ball and Howard Kendall laughing at the suggestion Everton can't play possession football

Sure and that's the only redeemable thing about Marco's style. However we can't break down a team to save our life. So why even bother with meaningless and momentum draining slow and sideways/backwards passing. I'm not saying hoof it over the top every time, but we must be far more direct and less worried about keeping possession.

View attachment 67475

An unknown fact about this photo is that it is Alan Ball and Howard Kendall laughing at the suggestion Everton can't play possession football

I disagree slightly with the OP but posting a picture from the "Mersey Millionaires" era kind of strengthens the point they're making about resources and getting the best players.

Haven't Ajax had success playing possession football in European competition against sides with much bigger resources than themselves though? They've arguably been much more impressive than the likes of PSG.

All for the sake of argument mind as I have no real idea of their style these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.