Players you were happy we signed but turned out to be pants, and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idrissa Gueye up there for me. Wasn't keen on signing a relegated Villa player who i'd never even heard of that season to be truthfully honest. Will go down as one of our best centre mids of this century for us.

Duelofeu the opposite. His permanent transfer was so disappointing but happy that he's made a career for himself now. The potential that boy had is unreal.

Sandro made a lot of sense on paper. Buy out clause so small fee. Spanish U21 international. I can’t be too harsh on us for that one. Bolasie and Klassen I knew would flop.

I was not happy about the Lescott or Jags signings and both turned out well

Sandro made a lot of sense on paper. Buy out clause so small fee. Spanish U21 international. I can’t be too harsh on us for that one. Bolasie and Klassen I knew would flop.

I was not happy about the Lescott or Jags signings and both turned out well
I was thrilled when we signed Sandro, I genuinely believed we'd gotten in one of the best young strikers in Europe. At least the fee wasn't astronomical.

Thinking of the less obvious ones, Enner Valencia I thought was an embarrassing panic buy and turned out alright. Even though he didn't actually score many goals, I seem to remember a few games when he came on and his pressing changed the game in our favour.

Landon Donovan I thought would just be a squad player, maybe a bit of a marketing stunt and he turned out to be quality. We'd signed Anton Peterlin and Cody Arnoux as two random Americans so I figured it was more of a push towards laying foundations in the US.

And then I remember a lad playing his first game for us in a friendly against AEK Athens; he whipped in two amazing corners, and in the pre-match notes Moyes described him as a winger with an excellent turn of pace. That man was Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, he of the running-through-treacle gait. Wand of a left peg, but I always thought he was gonna do more for us than he actually did

I thought George Green was gonna be in the Everton squad for years, paying all that money for someone so young?! He must be good

Finally, I thought Antolin Alcaraz was an excellent bit of business on a free transfer...

Just watching back the Leeds full match game from 99 reminds me how much of a disappointment John Collins turned out to be, woeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.