Players you were happy we signed but turned out to be pants, and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Distin. I was gutted that we were losing Lescott and didn't think Distin was quite up to the same level. He proved me wrong!

I think most if not all of the summer 2005 signings I was hyped about. Shame they were all pretty pants for us (not including Arteta permanent signing and Capt Nev).

Lucas Neill i thought was a smart signing. We'll never know. Did he actually play a game for us?

Same with Anthony Gardener if that was his name?

Louis Saha did way better than I expected.

The list of disappointments is too long, CBA.
Did that stupid slide for the ball to concede to Arsenal in the last minute when we thought we'd wrapped up the 3 points in the Big Smoke. Should've just stood tall and nodded it over the bar the bad melt.

Was in tears as kid when we'd seemingly replaced Rooney with Marcus Bent, turned out to be a boss signing that season though. Was sad when he left.

Also, remember Rat-zinski calling Bent gash in the press when he left us for Fulham, and when we played Fulham at home Bent played out of his skin. Didn't score but a good performance, hit the bar from like 25 yards out too, would have been boss had it went in.

Was in tears as kid when we'd seemingly replaced Rooney with Marcus Bent, turned out to be a boss signing that season though. Was sad when he left.

Also, remember Rat-zinski calling Bent gash in the press when he left us for Fulham, and when we played Fulham at home Bent played out of his skin. Didn't score but a good performance, hit the bar from like 25 yards out too, would have been boss had it went in.
He's broke now. Sad to see things like that happen people.

Excited to sign: Bakayoko. Mostly because he was an absolute legend in Championship Manager at the time, and there had been a run of a few players living up to their hype from the game. Unfortunately, he didn't. That said, I'll go to my grave saying that 1) he wasn't as bad as he's now remembered to be, and 2) I think that since that time, the realisation has grown that players from certain leagues (the French league at the time certainly being one that fits the bill) often need a bit of extra time to get the pace of the PL.

Not excited to sign: Gana. Just relegated, and Villa had been woeful. Marcus Bent (did phenomenally well in that first half season). Tim Cahill. Sold Wayne Rooney and replaced him with some £1.8m nobody from Millwall. Good shout that one.

A real shame . He was half decent and put in a shift . It's sad to see footballers go down the path of self neglect and irrational outbursts when their top flight career ends . I have no idea what it's like but I'm guessing that when you finish , that is one big empty hole in your life that needs filling .
Back on topic , I had high hopes for Newell . Came from Lineker land and had a few teams after him . Had a decent career when he left us .

A big disappointment for me was Stefan Rehn. Not because he was a household name or anything but because he was signed from abroad which was a rarity in England in those days and as a result there was some excitement and a sense of the unknown about him. Turned out he played 1 game I think against Millwall and couldn't hack the physicality and was sent packing.

John Oster was another big letdown. There was a lot of fuss around him and he was hyped up as the next Ryan Giggs but never delivered.

One who i had little expectation for but pleasantly surprised me was Don Hutchison. I thought he was great for the Toffees and was let go far too soon.

Walter signed Materazzi, Dacourt, and John Collins - thought Collins would run the midfield pulling the strings, and didn't have much of a clue about the other two. Collins turned out to be a useless Ted whilst Dacourt and Materazzi were great. All three giving it toes after one season (I think) tells the tale of where the club was at in those days.

Remember Keown signing and him having quite a torrid time early on - was he replacing Kev the Rat directly? Can't recall but he took some time to settle - once he did though he was an absolute beast of a player. Maybe the best Everton centre half I've seen, tbh, just in terms of ability. But he didn't wear the Royal Blue Jersey for anywhere near long enough to become a club icon.

Per Koldrup - expensive at the time and turned out to be absolute garbage.

Samuel Eto springs to mind, as someone I expected more from.

And Senderos.

And Van Der Meyde.

And Niasse.

And Gylfi.

There are a lot more of the disappointing signings which spring to mind.

I still maintain that we always meant to sign Defour instead of Fellaini, were knocked back and decided "well, fine, we'll take the other one". Defour was the one we were rumoured with for a couple weeks before Fellaini just seemingly came out of nowhere.
But supposedly we had tracked Fellaini for years....

Another one for me was Aaron Lennon. Wasn't particularly impressed with us signing a Tottenham fringe player but I really liked him at times for us. I'd pick him at that time 99 times out of 100 over Walcott, Iwobi or Bolasie in their current guises. Good guy is Aaron.
Loved him, Imwas always happy when Aaron was in the team, a good player and a great team player

Marcus Bent was not the most exciting signing, but he turned out to have quite a good first season! I doubt many thought Tim Cahill would have such an impact at the time either.

He was ruined by the witch hunt from knob heads such as Arsene Wenger who very publicly accused him of diving to win penalties. After a certain time he never got awarded another penalty for us despite being constantly fouled, which inevitably led to him losing confidence and his form dropping.

Disgusting by Wenger when you see how actual cheats such as Salah are talked in an almost God-like sense with people literally scared to criticise him.

I actually wasn't that excited when we signed him but quickly changed my mind. Thought he was very good for us in his time at the club.
The enigma of Wenger. A dirty cheating frog who everyone reveres as a 'gentleman' lol

There was a lot of optimism about what he could bring to the dressing room in terms of leadership and experience, yet it seems to be quite the opposite.

He is far from inspiring in terms of ability or influential on the pitch, and there is a picture building that he's a bit off a bell who will upset rather than lead the squad.

I'm usually a person who tries to see the best in people etc. and given the benefit of the doubt. but I can't warm to him at all. Needs shifting as soon as possible.
Delph is an absolute donkey. Was always clearly the worst player in the side whenever he wormed his way into the City lineup. He was OK at relegated Villa - that is his level.

"In 2015, he was charged with affray and possession of a Class A drug after calling police to his home in Esher, believing there to be an intruder on the premises.

"He was tasered at the scene by officers after he charged topless at them armed with a meat cleaver, before being apprehended and taken into custody. He received a fine and a 12-month suspended sentence."

lol Sounds like something out of Phoenix Nights!

Status
Not open for further replies.