Players you were happy we signed but turned out to be pants, and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tipp blue

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I remember being thrilled when we signed Rodrigo, our first ever Brazilian cost 1.25 million to loan for a season with an option of another 3 million to make it permanent. He played only a hand full of times and I've never heard of him since.
17802-zoom-e1380231676179.jpg

Simon Davies I thought at the time would be a decent Moyes signing.

Van de meyde I got excited about when we signed him ........

Richard Wright as a potentially top class keeper.

Recently sandro I thought would prove to be a good squad player.

Ones that proved me wrong.

In a way got to say Calvert lewen, not fully convinced but earned his place this season.

Kilbane was one of them jarg Moyes signings that proved to be value for money.

Naismith , thought he would be average and gave us some boss moments. Crap footballer though.

...watching his first few games, I couldn’t understand why we signed Fellaini for big bucks but he turned out good.

Further back, I agree with @Joey66 that Henry Newton was a big disappointment. I’ll add Joe Harper. Tony Cottee, Danny Williamson and Slavic Bilic from West Ham. Don’t buy from West Ham.

Stephen Hughes from Arsenal and most of the players brought in by Steve Walsh.

Last edited:

...watching his first few games, I couldn’t understand why we signed Fellaini for big bucks but he was good.

Further back, I agree with @Joey66 that Henry Newton was a big disappointment. I’ll add Joe Harper and Tony Cottee.
I still maintain that we always meant to sign Defour instead of Fellaini, were knocked back and decided "well, fine, we'll take the other one". Defour was the one we were rumoured with for a couple weeks before Fellaini just seemingly came out of nowhere.

Klaassen, no doubt. A Europa League finalist and boss captain in Holland, his mysterious absence was the first sign (£95m blown on Sigs, Morgs and Keane notwithstanding) that Koeman's time at ev was not going to end well.

Dishonourable mentions go to Alex Nyarko (no elaboration needed, once was enough!), and James Beattie. I asked my Dad to drive me to Goodison Park so I could get Beattie's signature. He refused.... the old man did the right thing.

Van Der Meyde was such a let down. Was only kid and remember being on holiday when he signed, I was so ecstatic because even I knew he was a big name and highly rated. Too bad the only reason we got him was because no top club would touch him because of his well-known lifestyle problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.