Players you thought would be good but turned out not to be so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
How bout Simon Davies? Never thought he was brilliant but at least at Spurs before us and at Fulham after he did something (scored a few goals, went past a few players, had a few assists). With us I never saw him do anything. Another one of those players with no discernable strengths!

Davies was absolute garbage. We signed him just after we finished 4th. Jokers like him were never going to get us into the CL group stages,

Cost us £4.5m (which was lot for us in those days) but was the invisible man in every game he played.

I recall him getting totally battered on post-match phone-ins after pretty much every game he played for us.

There was a lad we signed from West Ham... I cant remember his name.

I thought he was quality for the hammers and thought we’d got a bargain but he never lived up to expectations sadly.

Midfielder I think...Danny something

Mickey Walsh 350K record buy from Blackpool. Joe Harper 180K record buy from Aberdeen? Two forwards two failures. Liverpool got Toshack and Keegan around the same time.

Seems like failure runs in the Walsh family. His brother Steve was our footballing guru director of football! Great job he did!

I remember going to Joe Parkinson’s testimonial in 2000, against City, and Nyarko ran the show, absolutely bossed it from start to finish, scored a cheeky back heel and I genuinely thought we had a new vieira on our hands.

Added to that, Alexandersson was on the wing and having a boss game, got injured and remember being devastated... (I was only 8, I could have overly exaggerated how good he actually was).

Status
Not open for further replies.