Players who have came through the academy.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've always been good at producing players who have a career in the game. We've been rubbish at producing players that will improve our league position. Of that list, only really Rooney and Barkley have had an international career of note, which is the calibre of player we need to progress as a club.

I'll be honest and I'd take another Hibbert and Osman. Much maligned as they were, I suspect they'd still add to the current squad / be good squad players.

Peter Clarke has played a lot of games at various clubs.

...i remember watching him play for England U21s against Christian Ronaldo. Fine career and still playing very recently. Sean O’Hanlon is another centre-back who had a similarly long and successful career in the lower leagues.

There are loads, just a few more quick ones from me:

Paul Tait played for the likes of Bristol and is back as a coach.
Keith Southern a decent career at Blackpool and also back here coaching.
Jamie Milligan Fleetwood.
Sean Doherty moved to Fulham.
Nathan Holland currently on loan at Oxford from West Ham.
I think Carl Reagan went to Barnsley after being part of our FA Youth Cup winning team, Mick O’Brien went to Torquay.

i wouldn’t include the like of Jagielka, Baines and Barton in any list.

I'll be honest and I'd take another Hibbert and Osman. Much maligned as they were, I suspect they'd still add to the current squad / be good squad players.

Davies, Holgate and DCL probably fit that category, as they will all clearly have decent careers, but you do wonder whether any of the teams above us would readily buy them from us.

Ross hasn't kicked on, and you could argue Stones either, yet both of them are the kind of player we need to be producing (and keeping). History tells us we don't produce those players though.

Must be a tough sell now, as everybody's scouting network gets wider and players are getting signed up younger and younger. As a club we are competing with Liverpool and the two Manchester clubs recruiting kids... The only way you succeed is by having better coaching/facilities or success on the field.

It always used to be the sell that your path to the first team is more clear cut at Everton. In Sancho land, we're more Dortmund than City, but that doesn't appear to have been enough to help us attract, and then develop, the international-standard talent we need to progress.

So I’ve been supporting Everton for 25 years (1995) and I’ve tried to come up with a squad (I use the term squad very lightly) of players who have actually come through the academy to play for either us or a league side and have made a successful ( or average) career since 1995....

Really struggling on gks And I’ve probably missed some obvious players
It’s quite worrying to see how many Premier league standard players we’ve produced in the last 25 years
GKS

Defenders

Hibbertt
Duffy
Robinson
Hughes
Kenny
Ball
Dunne
Bidwell
Connolly
Baines
Jagielka

Midfield

Barkley
Osman
Rodwell
Lundstram
mccann
Wallace
Baxter
Davies
Williams
Walsh
mcleod
Forshaw
Akpan
Dowell
Barton

Strikers

Rooney
Jeffers
Cadamarteri
Jevons
Vaughan
anichebe
Branch
Agard

...going back to the original post, I‘m not sure if the point being made is ‘a concern’ we haven’t produced many PL standard players in the last 25 years, or a concern we have produced many who haven’t played much for us.

Without looking at statistics, I think we’ve done as well as most regular top flight clubs, I think only Arsenal have more teenage top flight goalscorers than us. Very few that we let go come back like Duffy and Lundstrum have.

Ultimately the aim is to find ourselves a gem, but for the well being of the whole game, it’s important the bigger clubs support those in the lower leagues. It’s also important we give talented young footballers a chance to earn a living in the game. To those ends I think Everton most definitely plays it’s part and long may it continue.

Saw today that our ex U23s striker Courtney Duffus is the boyfriend of tennis player Heather Watson. He’s currently playing and scoring goals for Yeovil in the National League after they were relegated. He had a younger brother Tyrone who went off to Cardiff last I heard of him.

Must be a tough sell now, as everybody's scouting network gets wider and players are getting signed up younger and younger. As a club we are competing with Liverpool and the two Manchester clubs recruiting kids... The only way you succeed is by having better coaching/facilities or success on the field.
Or showing that joining us leads to first team opportunities

Steven Schumacher is now assistant manager at Plymouth Argyle

...another product of Cardinal Heenan school around the corner from me in West Derby. Indeed, in his U15 year he was one of 3 England schoolboys (John Walsh who played for the Reds and Alan Moogan) from that same school which is an amazing achievement.

Last edited:

Nick Chadwick... believe he scored for the first team as well.
Aye he did. Radzinski was on for a hat trick, took it round the keeper and slid it to Chadwick to slot instead. Can’t remember who against like but I was there.

Edit: I think it was against Bolton and Big Dunc got sent off early on for elbowing someone for basically no reason. We won 3-1.

Last edited:
So I’ve been supporting Everton for 25 years (1995) and I’ve tried to come up with a squad (I use the term squad very lightly) of players who have actually come through the academy to play for either us or a league side and have made a successful ( or average) career since 1995....

Really struggling on gks And I’ve probably missed some obvious players
It’s quite worrying to see how many Premier league standard players we’ve produced in the last 25 years
GKS

Defenders

Hibbertt
Duffy
Robinson
Hughes
Kenny
Ball
Dunne
Bidwell
Connolly
Baines
Jagielka

Midfield

Barkley
Osman
Rodwell
Lundstram
mccann
Wallace
Baxter
Davies
Williams
Walsh
mcleod
Forshaw
Akpan
Dowell
Barton

Strikers

Rooney
Jeffers
Cadamarteri
Jevons
Vaughan
anichebe
Branch
Agard

Jamie Jones is a keeper that come through the academy, he’s now at Wigan.

...another product of Cardinal Heenan school around the corner from me in West Derby. Indeed, in his U15 year he was one of 3 England schoolboys (John Walsh who played for the Reds and Alan Moogan) from that same school which is an amazing achievement.

My old school that, unfortunately I’m crap at footy though.

You could probably make a team of lads who have come through Cardinal Heenan, unreal the amount of footballers who have come through there.

Status
Not open for further replies.