Players we tried to sign...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, I'd not heard that comment from Lee before. Were we that skint in 1980?

Just found this on Toffeeweb, from a 2003 interview with Lee:

"I remember at Everton I was looking for a second striker to play with Bob Latchford, and I went to watch Chester Reserves and a young boy called Ian Rush playing as an attacking midfielder.

"The next night, I was at Dumbarton and saw a raw striker called Graeme Sharpe. I went back to the chairman and told him that, paired together, they could be one of the most exciting partnerships in English football.

"Chester wanted £300,000 for Rush, so I signed Graeme for £80,000 because the board said I couldn't have them both."

It doesn't mention money, but maybe that can be inferred. Here's a link to the whole piece:

David Hirst from Sheffield Wednesday

Kilnsmann before Tottenham (supposedly)

Alan Thompson from Bolton (Howard was sacked that summer and Thompson ended up at Celtic)

Joe Royle wanted Paul Merson at one point

Petr Cech from Sparta before Chelsea

Mart Poom from Derby

Bryan Robson from WBA

We scouted Alan Hansen, but in a game against Dundee United, he was playing against Andy Gray who was about 17 I think. The scout didn't think either of them stood out enough to go further.

I know it's a bit off topic, but does anyone know of any players scouted by Bill Shankly when he was working for us, whether we signed them or not. I know he went to watch Ian Wallace, not sure if he was at Coventry or before that, but definitely before he went to Forest.

Scott Parker was my first real disappointment.. Moyes wouldn’t pay the agent fees is the story..would have been Everton through and through

Manny is my biggest heartbreak.. he just clicked with Arteta..

Other mentions:
Benega, Witsel, Dean Ashton, Moutinho

Bobby Robson in 77 on the manager side, sounds like it was done and dusted but we managed to step on our own [Poor language removed] - announced it publicly against Robson's explicit wishes and he backed out.

Archie Gemmill. If Catterick had succeeded in getting him he'd have improved us massively, but Brian Clough got him first.
I think Catterick got the nod off PNE but Clough went to Gemmill’s house and stayed there all night and persuaded Gemmill to change his mind.Unusual for Harry to lose out at that stage of his career.

I remember sitting in the stand at Chester in early 1980 thinking we should get that Ian Rush fella in, had an eye for goal that lad, Everton fan as well. Don't know what became of him.
Gordon Lee was the Everton manager at the time, if he had signed Rush he would have turned him into a full back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.