Players we tried to sign...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mario Stanic almost joined the summer Dacourt and Materazzi arrived as well. Ended up at Chelsea sometime afterwards

I remember sitting in the stand at Chester in early 1980 thinking we should get that Ian Rush fella in, had an eye for goal that lad, Everton fan as well. Don't know what became of him.

I'm sure Gordon Lee has said we had a choice between Sharp (from Dumbarton?) or Rush, as we couldn't afford both. Lee chose Sharp. Didn't turn out too badly, but if if we'd had the money for both of them?

I'm sure Gordon Lee has said we had a choice between Sharp (from Dumbarton?) or Rush, as we couldn't afford both. Lee chose Sharp. Didn't turn out too badly, but if if we'd had the money for both of them?
Interesting, I'd not heard that comment from Lee before. Were we that skint in 1980?

Not sure but didn't we go for Trevor Francis , but he went to Forest , instead we ended up with Mickey Walsh ?
Shilton ( been mentioned ) around the same time - ended up with Wood

Tore Andre Flo, Dion Dublin, Scott Parker, Manny Fernandes

I hate dion Dublin .. nothing gets has done .. but Howard sold Beardsley for 1m to try by him and so the 14 year old version of me blamed Dublin and I have never forgave him

All mine ended up being RS

rush , as discussed above loved sharp but the pair of them would have been incredible together .

collymore , would have been a real statement at the time as we tried to push on and he’d have gelled for us on the field at that time and we’d have hopefully utilised him and his goals and moved forward

Bellamy , loads wrong with him but what a signing he’d have been and I think up until he’d fell out with everyone he’d have been perfect for us as a player and a hugely popular with us as fans .

Status
Not open for further replies.