Players Out on Loan 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like Simms’ return to action was viewed very positively by Sunderland fans and reports of the game :

When Simms was introduced at Kenilworth Road with 20 minutes to go, Sunderland immediately looked rather menacing. Within minutes he’d seen a shot blocked and then only a brilliant goal-line block from Amari’i Bell kept Jack Clarke from whipping the rebound home.
on

And Simms was only on the field for seven minutes when Sunderland leveled when Sub Elliot Embleton tucked away Clarke’s cutback and while he wasn’t directly involved his presence had caused an additional headache for the Luton defence.

Sunderland had chances of victory in the final ten minutes when Simms blocked another try while fellow sub Patrick Roberts fired a shot just wide of the post. The second goal didn’t come for the visitors, meaning they had to settle for a point, but it was Simms’ return that made the bigger picture.

Simms isn’t ready to start games just yet, but provided he survives that 20-minute appearance unscathed, there’s a chance of a longer spell out at Huddersfield midweek and perhaps more minutes in next weekend’s home game against Cardiff City. Sunderland had done well against Luton even before Simms came on.

But it was Simms’ arrival that made all the difference and showed what Sunderland have been lacking in the last six weeks. Had either he or top scorer Ross Stewart been available, Sunderland would not have been 16th in the table.

Andre Gomes at Lille (Ligue 1, France) was subbed off in the 86th minute with his side losing 1-0 away to Lyon; the scoreline stayed that way.

Jarrad Branthwaite at PSV Eindhoven (Eredivisie, Netherlands) came on in the 85th minute with his side winning 3-0 at home to NEC; the scoreline stayed that way.

Dele Alli at Besiktas (Süper Lig, Turkey) was subbed off at half time with his side winning 2-1 at home to Umraniyespor; Besiktas went on to win 5-2.

Hopefully it’s a warning shot to PSV. We can’t force teams to play our young players, particularly if they are not good enough, but everything I’ve read about Branthwaite at PSV has been positive and his performance against Arsenal was really good . So it was disappointing to see he didn’t start at the weekend. We can’t just bring him back to warm the bench , he’ll need another loan if he’s recalled , but other clubs will note his performance against Arsenal , I’m sure there’d be interest from decent Championship clubs at least.

Read that the other day as well. Very disappointing amount of game time for him so far. If they terminate the loan could we loan him again in January? If we can then that would make a lot of sense, if he can go to a team needing a starting centre back and he can play every week. This was a big season for his development.

….this has happened plenty & we rarely demand a recall.

i wonder if Lampard would now like access to him as back-up. If he’s not playing much there he might as well not be playing much here but working with our coaches every day.

….this has happened plenty & we rarely demand a recall.

i wonder if Lampard would now like access to him as back-up. If he’s not playing much there he might as well not be playing much here but working with our coaches every day.
If they aren’t seriously thinking about it, they should be. We don’t normally do it but Branthwaite isn’t like most of the players we loan out with little or no prospect of ever being in the first team. He’s a real prospect and he needed game time, that’s why he went on loan.

Unless something changes soon, we should cancel it. Second half of the season with as little game time would see this a real poor loan for the boy.

Could we loan him again? If we can, we should. If not, as you say, he’d be as well sitting on our bench and working with our coaches.

If they aren’t seriously thinking about it, they should be. We don’t normally do it but Branthwaite isn’t like most of the players we loan out with little or no prospect of ever being in the first team. He’s a real prospect and he needed game time, that’s why he went on loan.

Unless something changes soon, we should cancel it. Second half of the season with as little game time would see this a real poor loan for the boy.

Could we loan him again? If we can, we should. If not, as you say, he’d be as well sitting on our bench and working with our coaches.
A player can play in for two clubs in a season in competitive matches, so as long as he doesn't play for us (e.g. in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup) he can go on loan again.

A player can play in for two clubs in a season in competitive matches, so as long as he doesn't play for us (e.g. in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup) he can go on loan again.
Thanks for confirming that! Then it would make a lot of sense for the club to terminate this loan unless he starts seeing more game time. Loan him to a club at a slightly lower level where he’s more likely to get games.

Isn't James Vaughan in charge of the loans now? Maybe we will be doing things a little differently now, such as recalls, when loans aren't working.

….some players will be on loan because the club doesn’t need them and want them off the wage bill. Sounds like the Alli loan isn’t working, I doubt we’ll be wanting him back.

I dont understand the Ali situation .. how were we able to loan him out when we haven’t paid anyone for him ?

Because, he’s signed as an Everton player and we don’t pay any money to Spurs until he’s paid x amount of games - which he never reached.

So, even though he hasn’t reached the threshold of games, where a payment kicks in, we can still loan him out.

At the end of the loan he either comes back to us and we start paying his wages in full again / start playing him or he signs for the Turks - I’m sure there’ll be a clause, where Spurs get a payment if this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.