Player Valuations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milk

Udderly delicious
Help me out here.
How do clubs, for example Everton FC, arrive at player valuations either as sellers or buyers?

It has been reported that Norwich offered up to £8m for Naismith and potentially Chelsea over £34m for Stones both of which were turned down.
On the other hand, we (EFC) happily spend a reported £9.5m on an unproven at PL level defender and £4m+ on a player entering his final year of his contract with no other clubs seemingly sniffing around.

How does all this work?

The media normally come up with a figure.. and then the clubs tend to use it as a guide as daft as that sounds its apparently quite true!

Help me out here.
How do clubs, for example Everton FC, arrive at player valuations either as sellers or buyers?

It has been reported that Norwich offered up to £8m for Naismith and potentially Chelsea over £34m for Stones both of which were turned down.
On the other hand, we (EFC) happily spend a reported £9.5m on an unproven at PL level defender and £4m+ on a player entering his final year of his contract with no other clubs seemingly sniffing around.

How does all this work?

dartboard.jpg

Depends on the situation most times.

Using your Naismith example. Had Norwich offered £8m in June we'd have had loads of time to get a player in to replace him.
Yesterday we'd have had about 46 minutes.

We needed a centre back really badly, and Martinez wanted Mori more than anyone else it seemed (maybe Scott Dann aside) so we paid the price.

All circumstantial. For me anyway

Some things:

1. Value to us as our squad looks at the moment.
2. Potential future of the player.
3. Nationality (to a lesser degree, but still)
4. How much would a substitue player cost us?
5. Age/Experience
6. Who are we selling to/buying from?
7. Would the club improve if the player left or would we be weakened?
8. How much would be improve the other club?
9. Contract length left

Look at Stones for example. He is a starting player, many years ahead of him, promising future, we would be significantly weakened, long contract, selling to rich club in same league, English nationality and we would have to pay significantly for another good CD with PL experience.

So therefore he is expensive.

Lennon: English, experienced, improve our wingplay, not too old, buying from opponent, short contract.

He would improve us and Spurs know it. Therefore they tried to get £9M for him. When we didn't bite they faced the prospect of paying his salary and let him go for free next summer. £4.5M for a proven PL player with a possible 4-6 years left on high lvl is fairly cheap.

How does all this work?
If someone wants a player they pay for him. The more they want him the more they pay. There is a point where the selling club feel they have got in the highest bid they can for a player, if this is greatly more than his value to the team or the cost of an (available) replacement then they will sell. If the highest bid is not greatly more than his value to the team or the cost of an (available) replacement then they will not sell him.

Help me out here.

How does all this work?

.....supply and demand.

Help me out here.

How does all this work?
maybe player's wages are more of an issue in some cases

Help me out here.

How does all this work?

We have a David Luiz system. if anyone bids on our players we just say "chelsea sold David Luiz for 50 mil so our players worth at least that". seems to work.

Modern football is the purest form of capitalism that I've found. It's like poker, those with big purses tend to try and push the "little" guys around and pray that the "little guys" don't end up with a big purse too.

Status
Not open for further replies.