Pienaar in the middle

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw blue

Player Valuation: £6m
Recently their have been discussion on moving Baines into DCM position in the next few years(ala Lahm) and the current effectiveness of Pienaar and his strengths as a footballer.

The general consensus was the Pienaar's best attributes were:

- covering and supporting Baines
- Energy and workrate
- Intercepting passes
- Keeping Posession

The first time I saw Pienaar was at Ajax where he totally nullified Patrick Veiria whilst at Arsenal.

This got me thinking that maybe Pienaar could be an alternative to cover for the James McCarthy role. He wouldn't be as bullish in the tackle, or as strong going forward, but he might be able to do a job against lower table opposition/league cup/europa league.

Thoughts?

Could be an option as a midfielder. It's clear that he doesn't have the pace to play on the left wing and most teams have sussed out how to nullify the Baines/Pienaar combo.

Just don't see him having the required engine to play midfield, i think Peanuts days could be numbered at Everton, Martinez seems to have a preference for fast wingers.

I remember that Ajax game, it was at highbury. He looked a real good player, must be going back 12 years at least.

I'd say Pienaar still has a decent engine. No one is going to match McCarthy for workrate, but Pienaar has always gotten up and down the pitch well.

Pienaar is finished as a regular first team selection for a CL contending PL team. Squad player at this point, or a regular for a Sunderland type.

Nah, too small, too weak. Lost a yard or two as well. He'll play 20 games against lower half sides, cup games and the EL if we're in that.

Always thought he could be a AM,like backup for Barkley. Good vision and movement, but has lost his pace. Should be an important player for us next season, probably not in starting XII

Best attributes: winning free kicks as he has a habit of getting people to clip him, he's hard to dispossess, and a pretty good presser when were pushing teams back, also good at spotting and utilising the overlaps for Baines and generally good at finding himself in space

Weaknesses: cant tackle, no end product, slows things down and recently become more injury prone, let's people run off him far too often.

Hes a squad player from this point onwards tbh, a useful one at that

Pienaar played centrally for Dortmund in a 4-4-2 diamond formation. He was the most advanced midfielder just behind Valdez and Frei. He was not played to get goals and assists back then, he was used for his intelligence on the ball. If you watched that season in full you would lose count of the amount of times he assisted the assister.

Ultimately he was considered as a flop, but he had the task of replacing Rosicky at the time (who was an outstanding player back then).

Status
Not open for further replies.