Phil Neville: Retrospective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John from Bootle

Player Valuation: £8m
I always liked Phil and felt he came in for some unfair stick. We could certainly do with somebody like him now. A 28-year-old Neville walks in to this current team at left back, right back, or centre mid. Aged 30-33 he still walks into this side in midfield.

Tbh, I could have picked other players from that era. Did we not appreciate what we had, and in future are we gonna appreciate what professionalism and a bit of mental steel bring to the table?

I always liked Phil and felt he came in for some unfair stick. We could certainly do with somebody like him now. A 28-year-old Neville walks in to this current team at left back, right back, or centre mid. Aged 30-33 he still walks into this side in midfield.

Tbh, I could have picked other players from that era. Did we not appreciate what we had, and in future are we gonna appreciate what professionalism and a bit of mental steel bring to the table?
I'd question him walking into midfield at 30-33, but Phil Neville was much maligned I feel. Few more like him, Cahill and Carsley in terms of appetite and attitude would be just the ticket in our current situation.

I'd question him walking into midfield at 30-33, but Phil Neville was much maligned I feel. Few more like him, Cahill and Carsley in terms of appetite and attitude would be just the ticket in our current situation.

He was 33 in 2010 mate. He stayed until 2012/13. Phil Neville aged 30-33 walks into this midfield. Imo of course.

To be fair, I'd walk into this team at left back, right back, or central defence. I'd not be out of place on my Zimmerframe in midfield, either. I could keep Allan company.

I think Neville’s mentality and the impact that had on that squad was under appreciated - yeah we didn’t win anything but our performances/effort were usually where it needed to be and think he had a lot to do with that. Obviously his quality wasn’t the best at times.

It all comes down to recruitment. The core of the signings moyes made were battlers/ had some quality and would never stop fighting. - jagielka/Neville/Cahill/pienaar/fellaini - nasty streak to all of them. None of that in this squad.

An actual footballer which puts him above most of the jokers in this squad. He would have had a few of them up against the dressing room wall. The current captain can’t do that because he’s one of the worst players in the team and the premier league.

Status
Not open for further replies.