2017/18 Phil Jagielka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which season was that Dave and wo were the CBs?
Any combination of CBs under Martinez were more accomplished on the ball than after he was sacked. I remember when even Stones and Alcarez played together and looked like a good pairing for a brief period. It's as much about having the confidence of getting on the ball as much as having the technical capability to play that way. If a coach tells you not to arse around in the first third of the pitch then you get very conservative football generally speaking.

Only pickford to blame for the goal

Why do our defenders think that it's OK to switch off on set pieces and allow the opposition players to get free?

Pickford wasn't great for the goal but if our defenders did their job properly defending set pieces, they wouldn't be allowing the opposition to get beyond them. It's a pretty straightforward task as a defender when facing that situation that our defence don't seem to be able to grasp. You mark your men and don't allow them to get a free shot/header on goal. It's happened numerous times this season.

Why do our defenders think that it's OK to switch off on set pieces and allow the opposition players to get free?

Pickford wasn't great for the goal but if our defenders did their job properly defending set pieces, they wouldn't be allowing the opposition to get beyond them. It's a pretty straightforward task as a defender when facing that situation that our defence don't seem to be able to grasp. You mark your men and don't allow them to get a free shot/header on goal. It's happened numerous times this season.

The keeper needs to dominate his six yard box...
Any ball approaching the six yard is the keepers who should be demanding the ball...
There is more to keeping than just shot stopping...

Keeper coach please take note...

No, I'd rather neither of those things happen. I'm sick of this with Jagielka now, it happens every season. He's 36 in August!

Correct making him younger than Gareth Barry and David Weir. You need an old head around to teach the kids, take your pick Williams or Jags. Hope you get over your Jags sickness:eek:

Time for him to go for me. There is and has been a soft underbelly at our club for a few seasons now. We need to be rooting out all the old guard and starting fresh. We need an overhaul. Move him on or if he is decent behind the scenes get him coaching the kids. Either way his playing time should be over with us if we are serious about progressing.

Probs retire in the summer I reckon.
I'll tell you we he and that other muppet Baines will be hoping for in the summer: that the club employ another manager who'll bend to the will of *common sense* at Finch Farm that you have to have "Jags" and "Bainsey" on side if you want to fit in and cause no unnecessary ructions with the rest of the squad. And that goes for uber muppet Duncan "legend" Ferguson.

These characters believe they effectively wield a veto on the success or failure of incoming managers.

Just sweep the superannuated gets out the door, they've sponged enough off Everton. It's not an old 'kin people's home.

I'll tell you we he and that other muppet Baines will be hoping for in the summer: that the club employ another manager who'll bend to the will of *common sense* at Finch Farm that you have to have "Jags" and "Bainsey" on side if you want to fit in and cause no unnecessary ructions with the rest of the squad. And that goes for uber muppet Duncan "legend" Ferguson.

These characters believe they effectively wield a veto on the success or failure of incoming managers.

Just sweep the superannuated gets out the door, they've sponged enough off Everton. It's not an old 'kin people's home.

Problem is they’ve still got running contracts, no one will realistically buy them (especially Jags) and they’re club “legends” now due to how long they’ve been here.

They’ll be here till they retire or get an offer in America/India or whatever.

Problem is they’ve still got running contracts, no one will realistically buy them (especially Jags) and they’re club “legends” now due to how long they’ve been here.

They’ll be here till they retire or get an offer in America/India or whatever.
At least one is looking for new contract too.

Just buy first team players and let them wither on the bench. They'll soon get the message and frig off.

Status
Not open for further replies.