2017/18 Phil Jagielka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early doors today he tried to fizz a 40 yarder from centre back to Baines who was wide left. The ball ended up about head height and fell about 20 yards short, directly to the Stoke player standing in that area.

Annoying pair of bottlers. Typical of the Moyes era player. Plodders and flat track bullies who go missing in a big game with something riding on it.

Watch them when we play Liverpool soon: hiding away and/or getting left for dead.

..seem to recall Jagielka not bottling a winning penalty in a semi-final shoot out at Wembley and scoring a last minute screamer in a Derby. If i’m looking for big game bottlers, I don’t think of Jagielka and Baines, I recall the inept performances of a certain Ross Barkley when he failed to turn up in Derby games.

..seem to recall Jagielka not bottling a winning penalty in a semi-final shoot out at Wembley and scoring a last minute screamer in a Derby. If i’m looking for big game bottlers, I don’t think of Jagielka and Baines, I recall the inept performances of a certain Ross Barkley when he failed to turn up in Derby games.
Two swings of a boot make the case for Jagielka not been a big game bottler? Performance over 90 minutes in those games is all that you can assess. He's the worst captain in living memory who cant even inspire himself.

The pair of them cant be trusted to stand tall in a big game. Just watch them in the upcoming derby. They'll lamely surrender again.

Two swings of a boot make the case for Jagielka not been a big game bottler? Performance over 90 minutes in those games is all that you can assess. He's the worst captain in living memory who cant even inspire himself.

The pair of them cant be trusted to stand tall in a big game. Just watch them in the upcoming derby. They'll lamely surrender again.
Baz on Toffee TV was raving about Jags, which I found strange. Against a dog of a team who had 10 men for a hour.
In the first 20mins he must have passed the ball straight to stoke on at least 3 occasions. And gave about the same number of hospital balls to his team mates.

Our centre backs are huge problem moving forward, all of them are poor technically and cause panic every time they have the ball. And they are so scared at times to make a mistake, they spend the whole game passing it square or back to Pickford.

Baz on Toffee TV was raving about Jags, which I found strange. Against a dog of a team who had 10 men for a hour.
In the first 20mins he must have passed the ball straight to stoke on at least 3 occasions. And gave about the same number of hospital balls to his team mates.

Our centre backs are huge problem moving forward, all of them are poor technically and cause panic every time they have the ball. And they are so scared at times to make a mistake, they spend the whole game passing it square or back to Pickford.
The last time we had CBs looking anything like comfortable with the ball at their feet was under Martinez. They were fine most of the time but, of course, if you make a mistake back there it's the only thing that's remembered.

The trick was to solve those errors by bringing in better quality players rather than ditch playing out from the back and playing conservatively.

I understood the need to get rid of RM in the end because he refused to curtail trying to play football with inferior players, but the answer was never to just have defenders getting shut ASAP. That was completely the wrong conclusion to draw.

Excellent post. Agree on all points. Keane, Jagielka, Williams nowhere near the standard we need. Keep Mori and Holgate, get a first choice in and let the other two battle it out to be his partner in defence. Could keep Keane one more season due to his long contract, maybe he could improve, but he's let himself down a lot this season.

It hurts me to write this because I've been a huge admirer of Jags, strong, brave and bold always ready to put his body on the line for the club. In this century we've not made a better signing other than Seamus. All that said it comes a time to say goodbye, take the dying dog to the vets or out into the garden with gun if you will. Although he's head and shoulders above Williams, RFM and most of the kids nature dictates that he is ageing, slowing even more. Given a choice between Jags and Williams being retained for next season I'd still pick Jags but in truth we still need to be shut of both and alas Sham appears to prefer Williams

Jagielka mostly brings stability to our defence, but he's still not the player he was. That goal we gave away yesterday was a collective shambles from our defensive unit and that should have been organised by Jagielka. When the ball came over, him, Calvert Lewin and Baines were all caught out and Pickford didn't cover himself in glory either.

This has been happening far too often with all of our centre backs not marking properly on set pieces leading to us conceding goals.

The last time we had CBs looking anything like comfortable with the ball at their feet was under Martinez. They were fine most of the time but, of course, if you make a mistake back there it's the only thing that's remembered.

The trick was to solve those errors by bringing in better quality players rather than ditch playing out from the back and playing conservatively.

I understood the need to get rid of RM in the end because he refused to curtail trying to play football with inferior players, but the answer was never to just have defenders getting shut ASAP. That was completely the wrong conclusion to draw.

Which season was that Dave and wo were the CBs?

Jagielka mostly brings stability to our defence, but he's still not the player he was. That goal we gave away yesterday was a collective shambles from our defensive unit and that should have been organised by Jagielka. When the ball came over, him, Calvert Lewin and Baines were all caught out and Pickford didn't cover himself in glory either.

This has been happening far too often with all of our centre backs not marking properly on set pieces leading to us conceding goals.
Only pickford to blame for the goal

Jagielka has needed replacing for a couple of years. A quality CB is #1 priority for the summer.

If Baines had been fit all year, we’d be in a much better position than we are now, adds balance, decent passer and good engine. Suffered from us not having a decent LW in front of him.

However he does also need replacing in the summer, as is in age decline.

Will always love Baines for calling out the clown.

Status
Not open for further replies.