2018/19 Phil Jagielka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like you said you would hope so but this is Everton after all. Yes the Fulham game should be the final nail in the coffin.

I thought after the Arsenal game that he'd done it again. Only this time it would be worse because it might have built up a groundswell of support for him to get a new contract which wasn't an issue in previous years. If you look at the posts in this thread after that game, it almost did.

Jagielka was a good player for Everton and a good servant but there's no way his contract should be renewed now at 37 years old given how little he's got left to contribute.

Best thing that could have happened was leting him make a divvy of himself against Fulham just to underline how his level is barely League One now never mind PL.

The silver lining to that Fulham defeat.

Silva playing him again against Fulham was inadvertently giving Jagielka enough rope to hang himself with.

If Keane had come back in then we'd be sat here now reading people saying how Jagielka has proven how he must be retained.

He's a dog. A big yard dog.

....it’s funny how differently folk see things. It’s especially funny when folk see things so drastically different. Differing opinion, but calling him a dog is simply ridiculous.

It’s all about opinion and folk’s opinion rarely changes yet we still debate. In my opinion Jagielka was a fabulous acquisition and servant for the club. He was a defender who liked to defend, he was a very good international level defender who represented his country many times. As a professional, he’s clearly the type who earned the respect of his peers, not many of his type left.

I doubt many think he has a future playing role at the club, I certainly don’t but I will always respect him and remember him fondly as an Everton footballer and representative of our club.

Last edited:
I thought after the Arsenal game that he'd done it again. Only this time it would be worse because it might have built up a groundswell of support for him to get a new contract which wasn't an issue in previous years. If you look at the posts in this thread after that game, it almost did.

Jagielka was a good player for Everton and a good servant but there's no way his contract should be renewed now at 37 years old given how little he's got left to contribute.

He still may well have done that fingers crossed Bill has no say. Oh he still has massive support because a lot of people can't let go because he 'gets the club' I agree has been a great servant.

He was finished over 3 years ago easy and as for the 'he's good for the youngsters coming through' we have coaches supposedly in place for that so no thanks.

He still may well have done that fingers crossed Bill has no say. Oh he still has massive support because a lot of people can't let go because he 'gets the club' I agree has been a great servant.

He was finished over 3 years ago easy and as for the 'he's good for the youngsters coming through' we have coaches supposedly in place for that so no thanks.

The notion of an older player being good for the younger players is based entirely on what that player passes down. I don't dislike Jagielka personally but what could he possibly pass down to young players? He's been part of an era in Everton's history when we've hardly got a point off Liverpool and not won a single trophy.

It's not all down to Jagielka but he hardly has a specific Everton ethos or legacy that I want impressing on new players. I want and expect new players to do a lot better than Jagielka and his teams did.

He'll be remembered by me as a great defender in his day but he stayed too long. He's had no business being a player here for two to three years.

The coaches we have for that appeared to struggle with zonal marking for a greater part of the season,so maybe a coaching role for him might be in order.

The notion of an older player being good for the younger players is based entirely on what that player passes down. I don't dislike Jagielka personally but what could he possibly pass down to young players? He's been part of an era in Everton's history when we've hardly got a point off Liverpool and not won a single trophy.

It's not all down to Jagielka but he hardly has a specific Everton ethos or legacy that I want impressing on new players. I want and expect new players to do a lot better than Jagielka and his teams did.

He'll be remembered by me as a great defender in his day but he stayed too long. He's had no business being a player here for two to three years.

Exactly why we want the young players to think it's okay just to try your best even if we lose. We need to bin that notion ASAP.

He was a great defender , but I also think defending has moved on from backs to the wall hoof it up in desperation. We need a lot more now days.

....it’s funny how differently folk see things. It’s especially funny when folk see things so drastically different. Differing opinion, but calling him a dog is simply ridiculous.

It’s all about opinion and folk’s opinion rarely changes yet we still debate. In my opinion Jagielka was a fabulous acquisition and servant for the club. He was a defender who liked to defend, he was a very good international level defender who represented his country many times. As a professional, he’s clearly the type who earned the respect of his peers, not many of his type left.

I doubt many think he has a future playing role at the club, I certainly don’t but I will always respect him and remember him fondly as an Everton footballer and representative of our club.
His distribution from the back is pathetic. His saving grace was always his pace. He hasn't got that anymore.

He's useless to Everton.

Silva playing him again against Fulham was inadvertently giving Jagielka enough rope to hang himself with.

If Keane had come back in then we'd be sat here now reading people saying how Jagielka has proven how he must be retained.
...or Keane snuffs out Mitrovic on the day and the momentum shifts to us.

...or Keane snuffs out Mitrovic on the day and the momentum shifts to us.

I think the collective kack-ism that came over the players would have affected Keane as well to be honest.

Silva was right to start with Jagielka again after his performance against Arsenal. The issue for Everton was that Jagielka wasn't able to play at the required level a second game running.

Therein lies the crux of it and why he shouldn't be retained. He can do it in a one off game, as ever, but that's it. Hence, no longer value for a contract as a first team squad player at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.